Brand new bike with tranny issue

kvanek

Reaction score
Visit site
Well we will see how it goes. Hopefully I get this thing back very soon.
If it isnt perfect I am will try hard to have Yamaha replace my bike or do some sort of buy back.
They may tell me to get lost however i do deserve a new bike without a tranny issue.

bazza

I'll sleep when I die!!
Reaction score
Visit site
Hey my 2006 fz6 has the exact same noise, a whine only in second gear and only when coasting. no-one could tell me what the problem was so i just change the oil more often.
have done 20000 km with it under all sorts of loads and trips. the noise has not gone away but has not gotten worse or metal in oil.
would be interested to find out how you get on.
Regards Barry

kvanek

Reaction score
Visit site
Dealer called this morning and said my bike was ready to be picked up.
I will put some miles on it over the weekend and see how it feels.

Sawblade

Hopped up on Mountain Dew
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I had a whining issue after getting a tire changed. It turns out the idiot mechanic adjusted the chain slack to about 1/2" instead of 2". Now I only go to that shop to try on helmets to buy online later.

kvanek

Reaction score
Visit site
Excellent!!!

Just curious, did they say what gears/parts/etc they replaced? Anything in particular fail?

Other than a bunch of misc stuff like gaskets, oil ,coolant and stuff replaced during the repair the bigger stuff is listed below.

Gear, 2nd pinion
Gear, 6th pinion
2 collars--i dont know what these are
Gear, 2nd wheel
Gear, 6th wheel
4 bearings
2 washers--i think thrust washer
outer circlips

Like i stated before they could find no visual or dimensional problems on anything,
however it made sense to them to repair the noisy gear as well as the gears that it plays with. I think that is why 6th was done also.

My report on the repair is the bike must have had an issue from the factory that didnt get noisy untill the 500 mile mark. The reason i say this is it is a totally different bike now. I knew on my first run up through the gears. It has never been as smooth as it is now upshifting and downshifting. My bike always shifted hard into 2nd and now it does'nt.
I will keep my eyes and ears on things however at this time I am very pleased with the results and think my dealer did a great job.

macem29

Banned
Reaction score
Visit site
that parts list reads like a synchro issue, and the hard shift that is now gone supports that too, glad to hear it worked out :thumbup: