07 FZ6 overflow gas leak

PHABAZ

Reaction score
Visit site
Bring this up BEFORE the warrenty runs out! Yamaha is giving me a big run around. Don't let this go, that's their main arguement. They said that no one really seems to be too concerned about this problem, therefore they're not taking it seriously. I said what if you bought a car that left a puddle of gas under it? would that be ok if that model was known to do that?
It would be back at the dealer.

nick0331

Reaction score
Visit site
I have an '08 and it also leaks about a half dollar size puddle or a little larger on hot days. I thought it was normal and was just relieving the pressure built up in the tank from the heat.

cashcrzzy

Meandering Member
Reaction score
www.fz6-forum.com
I said what if you bought a car that left a puddle of gas under it? would that be ok if that model was known to do that?
It would be back at the dealer.

All Cars are designed with a closed fuel vapor return system none of the fuel pressure is vented to the atmosphere .You cant compare your bike to a car ,your car has 4-5 times more fuel than your bike . You could trade in your bike in California and get a closed loop system . Or try changing the gas you use or the brand ..
Greg A.

Reaction score
Visit site
i ride mine to work and it sits with NO shade...and here in west texas...its rarely UNDER 100 this time of yr lol...and i have never had ne problems...sure there may be a safety valve...but when they built it...don't you think they took into account that the bike would be outside in the sun for at least 8 hrs? its def. not suppose to do that imo

PHABAZ

Reaction score
Visit site
I spoke with the owner of a honda dealer today. He was suprised that yamaha is passing this off as "normal" for this model. He said fuel leaking out of anywhere should be unacceptable, especially from a dealers point of view. He also said what I've been telling Yamaha. "Vapor yes, liquid no". What has me (and yamaha) puzzled, is why some Fz6's have this problem and others do not. I suppose I could quit crying about this and just live with it, but for $7,800 I just don't want to live with it. I want them to fix it. I've never heard of this (at least not to the size of the puddle) with any other bike. The one pic posted above was half the size of his boot!
I hope more people bring this to Yamaha's attention and demand they do something and maybe they will. If I go to a friends house, should I, or anyone, really have to park around back in the shade??

Hollow

Happy Thankful Member
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Were I live it was in the mid to high 90s a few months ago. This is also when I bought my first bike (07 FZ6). I had the same problem. But was told it was normal. Now that the temps each day have dropped alot it hasn't done it since.

fudge_FZ6

Reaction score
Visit site
I really don't think this is gas it's just condinsation if it was gas in those types of temps it would have evaporated allready. This is normal and in the design of every bike. has anybody put a gas can out side on a warm day??? it swells up. Yamaha don't want this to happen to your bikes gas tank. one guy said that it only happens to his bike in the lot. well that could be because some sport bikes have a little collector bottle that this vapor drips into and you have to empty it. so inconclusion you don't have to worry about it.

fudge_FZ6

Reaction score
Visit site
This is normal and in the design of every bike. has anybody put a gas can out side on a warm day??? it swells up. Yamaha don't want this to happen to your bikes gas tank. one guy said that it only happens to his bike in the lot. well that could be because some sport bikes have a little collector bottle that this vapor drips into and you have to empty it. I really don't think this is gas it's just condinsation if it was gas in those types of temps it would have evaporated allready. if you still think it's gas put a catch tray under your bike and catch the drips and see if you can light it.

PHABAZ

Reaction score
Visit site
The same things ran through my head Fudge. But when I met with a regional Yamaha tech we recreated the problem with a heat gun- after the bike had been baking in the 95 degree heat for about eleven hours. Any moisture from the cool night before would've been gone, especially with the size of the puddle that day. Also, the puddles on the street by my house have been dissolving the mecadam, which even after a month are still visable. So it can't be only moisture.
If you get a chance, please post what sport bikes have these collection tubes that have to be drained. The reason I ask is yamaha wants to install one on my bike and I said no. Mainly because I've never heard of such a thing.
One last thing,the swelling gas tank has to vent. We've established that. but it SHOULDN'T VENT LIQUID. This does this on a half a tank- full tank- exxon-sunoco, it doesn't matter. The tank vents, It has to. But most people agree, you should never see what has been vented.

Last edited:

PHABAZ

Reaction score
Visit site
Just as an update, After being at the dealer for SIXTEEN consecutive weeks, yamaha will be swapping my parts for california model parts. Yamaha recognizes this leak, but does not recognize this as a problem (Which is what they tried selling me on).
So if ANYONE is unhappy with having to park their new motorcycle in the shade to keep fuel from dumping out of it, speak up and demand that they fix it. I realize this doesn't bother everyone and that's wonderful, especially for yamaha, but for me it was embarrassing. Especially at work in the motorcycle parking area where the Harley Guys would smile and shake their heads.
Any questions about this matter contact Chad at [email protected]. This is the link to Pine Grove Yamaha, Chad being the owner that personally handled this for me.

fz6joker

Damn Hooligan
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I had this problem last summer when my gas tank was really full and it was really hot outside. As long as I would go to my bike and open the tank up (releasing the built up by the fuel evaporating) every couple of hours it would be fine.

wolfc70

R is for Rust Coloration
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Mine does the same thing in hot weather. Gas stored in a cool underground storage tank will expand once it warms up. I just stopped filling my bike so full. When the bike is on the center stand, I fill it up just below the filler "basket". No more overflow.

PHABAZ

Reaction score
Visit site
Well, as I've said earlier, that's something that me and the Yamaha tech couldn't figure out. Some bikes do it all the time (like mine) and some do not. Some only sometimes. After driving 160 miles to work and back the yamaha tech got it to drip with a heat gun, at less than half a tank. Mine can't be the only one out there that does this. That's why I keep posting. They will correct this problem if it becomes a problem. You just have to keep at it.

grimjaw

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi there. New to this forum and this is my first post. Sorry to revive such an old thread, but I ran into a similar problem with my new (to me) 2008 FZ6.

On anything greater than 1/4-1/3 of a tank of fuel, I have a serious drip coming out of my overflow hose. It is absolutely not related to the temperature of he bike/tank, nor does it seem to matter if I open the tank cap to let it vent that way. After examining the diagram in the service manual and the symptoms, I suspect I have a rupture in the overflow channel INSIDE the tank. I haven't had the opportunity yet to drain the tank and try to examine it more closely but there does seem to be a little rust/corrosion around the hole at the start of that tube near the cap.

I'm not sre what my options are in the event of corrosion in that line. I suspect it will just get worse over time. There might be a way to coat the inside of the tank/line, and also possibly sealing that tube. Since there is a separate vent line sealing the "drain" line should not be a significant problem for overall operation of the fuel system. The manual recommends draining the tank through the cap with a pump anyway.

Just wanted to see if anyone here had experience with this problem (ruptured tank/line) or its solutions. Much thanks for sharing.

jm

Pattybigdaddy

Reaction score
Visit site
I am experiencing this exact problem, except I am able to hold about half a tank. I thought it could be the same cause that you thought, the corroded overflow line inside the tank. Did you ever solve the issue?

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I am experiencing this exact problem, except I am able to hold about half a tank. I thought it could be the same cause that you thought, the corroded overflow line inside the tank. Did you ever solve the issue?

Access the inside of the tank after removing the fuel pump. Find the area of corrosion/ leak and remove that piece. (dremel / cut off wheel).
Get some ethanol resistant fuel line, some good hose clamps.

Slip the hose over both ends of the pipe that's left and tighten the hose clamps (basically simply replacing the rotted piece pipe).

You may be able to use small pipe fittings (brass-compression) and pipe BUT you need some solid line inside the tank to use the ends to tighten down on.

Last edited:

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
And of course make sure the tank is emptied, dry and free of any fumes before the procedure. :)

Pattybigdaddy

Reaction score
Visit site
I was thinking something along those lines but I wasn't totally sure. And thanks for the picture! It really helps me visualize how I'm Going to tackle this project. Now, I'm going to go run her out of gas (Good excuse to go for a ride :D) and I'll let you know what it looks like once I get in there. Thanks for the help.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I was thinking something along those lines but I wasn't totally sure. And thanks for the picture! It really helps me visualize how I'm Going to tackle this project. Now, I'm going to go run her out of gas (Good excuse to go for a ride :D) and I'll let you know what it looks like once I get in there. Thanks for the help.

Are you familiar with the pump removal? Kinda a PIA, install, piece of cake..