07 FZ6 overflow gas leak

brady

Reaction score
Visit site
Hey everybody I'm new to this site. I have a question I'm hoping someone can help me with. I have a 2007 FZ6. My problem is that when I park it outside on a warm sunny day for atleast a few hours when I come out to use it again there's a half dollar size puddle of gas on the ground directly under the overflow tube on the bottom of the bike. I've brought it back to the shop and they can't figure it out. I know it's coming out of the overflow tube because it usually has a drip on the end of it. They checked to see if I had a kinked line but they said I did not. Of course when they had it, it didn't do it. It seems to only do it on warm (55 degrees F or higher) days. Anyone else have or ever seen this problem? Thanks

Fred

M em b er e d
Reaction score
www.robietech.com
Mine puts a bit of gas out the overflow. I've been assuming that gasoline vapors are going out the vent and then recondensing in the tube, which is out of the sun and thus cooler.

I haven't worried about it much, but it sounds like you're losing more fuel than I am.

Do you ride wheelies? Those will cause liquid fuel to slosh into the overflow, leading to your puddle possibly.

Fred

DefyInertia

Former '04 FZ6 Rider
Reaction score
Visit site
Yes but why is this a problem? Sounds like the overflow / pressure release system is working properly. I suspect the combination of temperature changes and elevation changes is causing this to occur more frequently for you than for most others...being in VT and all.

reiobard

Samurai FZ Soldier
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
i haven't noticed it on mine yet and i am in just about the same climate as him, how full do you keep the tank when this is happening?

brady

Reaction score
Visit site
It doesn't seem to matter how much gas is in the tank, it still does it. Defy, it's not really a problem but more annoying than anything else. When you have a fairly new bike you don't expect to come out and have a puddle of anything under it. O and no I don't wheelie it. Thanks for the replies so far. I appreciate it.

brady

Reaction score
Visit site
Not an option. No shade around. Basically does anyone think is something I should be concerned about?

PHABAZ

Reaction score
Visit site
I am new to this forum, but after reading about your fuel problem, I had to sign up. I just purchased a 2008 FZ6 and same problem. My spots were about the size of a cookie. The bike only had about 80 miles on it when it started. The dealer called Yamaha and told me it was faulty shut off valve (in case the bike would get flipped) and ordered a new one. I love the bike, but my neighbors will be calling the police soon and I'm sure I will be fined. I'll let you know if the valve solves the problem.

stevesnj

Reaction score
Visit site
last few days here were hot and had seen same thing .. that is not a problem at all at least the vent is working and doing what it made to do !!

I think that's it, the venting system is doing its job...imagine what would happen if the fuel didn't vent? :eek: also do you top off the tank after the fuel pump handle clicks off? if so this would also cause unintended raw fuel venting in hot weather.

Last edited:

brady

Reaction score
Visit site
Phabaz let me know if that works. My warranty runs out next month. I appreciate it. and yes I usually top off my tank after the handle clicks off.

Hollow

Happy Thankful Member
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
My two cents. I believe its the sun and temp raising pressure in the tank make the gas come out the vent. Mine does it also but only when I park it in the sun in the front yard. If I park it in the back yard it doesnt do it. But also like everyone else stated at least you know your venting system is working correctly. If you go to a friends house or something park it in the shade if possible and see if it still does it.

CCHOUSEKY

Kentucky Wildcat Fanatic
Reaction score
Visit site
Does it look like this? If so, I posted this exact question on the other FZ6 forum about a month ago with the same concerns. After being reassured it was just the overflow hose doing it's job, I felt much better.

The thing is, the conditions you describe are exactly what the conditions were when I noticed mine...hot day, got back from a ride, parked it for a while in the sun...exactly.

Nothing to worry about...just the venting system doing it's job.

rvbiker

Reaction score
Visit site
I have never experienced this problem even after filling the tank and parking it in the +100 deg F Arizona sun. Do you fill your tank to the bottom of the metal basket? That leaves quite a bit of room in the tank for expansion.

Are you saying your neighbors will call the police because of the vent spot on the ground??:eek:

PHABAZ

Reaction score
Visit site
The yamaha tech tells me it's normal, but how could gas comming out of anywhere be normal? It's doing it's job to vent off vapor. Somewhere along the way it's turning back to a liquid. No other bike in the lot at work does this including an '05 FZ6. After seven unsuccessful attempts to fix the fuel leak, the yamaha tech wants to put a collection tube at the end of the vent hose to catch any fuel. This is not a good idea, the tank has to breath. At it's worst the puddle is about three inches in diameter, not just a few drops.
The pic is from a 90 degree day a few weeks ago.
Thanks for any possible suggestions.

Last edited:

PHABAZ

Reaction score
Visit site
One more thing, the CA. model has a completely different set up. It supposedly has a box that the vapor is forced into that I believe returns any recondensed fuel back to the tank. They discussed putting that box on mine, but apparently it's not just the box, you'd have to change the entire fuel system. That is too much money for Yamaha, they want me to just live with it.
Not gonna happen.