ZERO Electric Motorcycle

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Saw the street version of this two days ago at my local shop.

Spoke with the owner, he loved it. His buddy on a Goldwing can't accelerate as fast as the Zero...

Pretty slick, kinda expensive at $10,000.00+

Probably need to put some playing cards in the spokes so folks can hear ya it's so quiet!!

Time to Ride || ZERO MOTORCYCLES

Botch

I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S!!
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
There's a couple that tool around on Hill AFB. I'm waiting for the battery prices to drop just a bit more, want to get one for commuting, at least (the Salt Lake Valley has some of the worst pollution in the nation during the winter (inversion), and I'd like to try alternatives to help. I have to leave on weekends occasionally, stay in Wyoming to breathe some fresh air and give my throat a break).

Red Wazp

Reaction score
Visit site
As a Goldwing owner I can attest to the fact that many bikes can out run the big girl. It's not as slow as some may think but a rocket ship she is not.Blah

Actually electric bikes should accelerate quite fast, those motors have tons of torque and no gears however part of what I enjoy about motorcycles is the sweet sound of a bike running through the gears.

Botch, isn't much of the pollution from wood stoves? The central valley of Ca has the same inversion problem and on bad days you can't burn wood.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Actually electric bikes should accelerate quite fast, those motors have tons of torque and no gears however part of what I enjoy about motorcycles is the sweet sound of a bike running through the gears. .

This, ^^^, is what I like soooo much about the FZ with my Scorps...

The sound is so sweet especially when winding it up!

Botch

I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S!!
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Botch, isn't much of the pollution from wood stoves? The central valley of Ca has the same inversion problem and on bad days you can't burn wood.

We do have "burn ban" days, any day its cold with no wind. SLC is in a "bowl" (like the central valley) and the pollution chills immediately, and doesn't rise; it just collects between the Wasatch and the Oquirre mountain ranges:

8XIwzGM8_400x400.jpeg

payneib

Reaction score
Visit site
I've been looking at these, and sat on one at the NEC in November. They would make an absolutely perfect replacement for my FZ6 as a commuter. Range is fine, style is fine if basic, maintenance is easy, etc.

But initial cost is way out of the league of what it actually is. You can get some serious bike for that money.

Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk

upshiftoverdrive

Reaction score
Visit site
Zero Motorcycles look fantastic for a commuting bike/city bike. But with only a combined highway/city range of 50 miles it's not like you can go out for a day of hooning, at least not with any highway use. Maybe once quick charger tech advances and the battery is able to be charged in a half an hour or less would these be able to take the place of our gas machines. I would love to ride one though. The videos that I have seen it's like you're flying because they're dead quiet. Like the difference between going boating in an engine powered boat vs. a sail boat. Totally difference experience. Hopefully they can drive the price down on the ZF6.5, which is the larger battery model. I feel like $8,000-$9,000 would be a great price point.

broody

Reaction score
Visit site
I prefer the look of the Empulse by far but zero has a better technology. If prices go down I might pull the trigger, but if I only make 5-10k km/year it's not worth it, and since I live in town and winter lasts 6 months in Canada, I'm not really likely to do more than that.

Otherwise, I think that allowing DC fast charge on these bikes isn't a huge issue, so the next gen will most likely have it and give 50-70 extra miles in 20 minutes.

Last edited:

Cloggy

Euro Mod
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I've seriously looked into these bikes, and although it's a reasonable bike (as a commuter) as Paynieb says it just doesn't work out cheaper when you take the new price into consideration. Also loosing the ability to do day (weekend) trips is a big disadvantage. I do expect battery prices to come down and quicker charge batteries/systems to be available later, so I guess I'll just keep an eye on things for now :thumbup:.