Young kid died not too far away this past weekend

04fizzer

Reaction score
Visit site
Firstly, wear gear.

Secondly, I don't buy into the whole not wearing gear is an instant death sentence or that a person deserves to have an accident/death whatever.

Lastly, my guess (yes, it is a guess) is that people who tend to go overboard on people who don't wear gear are trying distance themselves from the fact that riders completely geared and trained in riding can, do and will die in motorcycle accidents.

People choosing to ride a motorcycle is enough to ensure that you or someone you know is who also rides a motorcycle is going to die or be seriously injured being fully geared and trained how to ride isn't going to stop that. Of course, gear and training can improve you chances on being one of the fortunate ones to make it but you still are taking an unnecessary risk with you life in pursuit of pleasure either way.

No one said he deserved to die. He simply said that it's not a surprise, and that the odds were stacked against him. It's also entirely likely that his death could have been avoided had he been properly geared up. Obviously we can't know that for sure, and can only stipulate.

FIZZER6

The Angry Blue Mantis
Reaction score
Visit site
In a freeway speed crash with no gear...I would probably bet on a 80% chance that cause of death would be due to head/neck injury.

Mojave

Reaction score
Visit site
It is tragic that he died when some education could have saved him, but I don't want any more regulations to try to save people who refuse to save themselves.

MHS

Reaction score
Visit site
This is sad to see, but isn't surprising given the situation.

I hate to say it was only a matter of time before it happened, because in that time there was the possibility of change.

When I started riding I only wore a helmet, even though my other biker friends had at least jacket and gloves too. They didn't how I could ride without a jacket - but I did it anyway. Over time I've added jacket and gloves to every ride (even with the heat index being 115+ recently). I'm still not to ATGATT, but I'm slowly getting there.

That being said - I think no helmet is still stupid. I won't go so far as to say someone that doesn't wear one isn't still a friend, but I won't go riding with them if they don't.

Yamma~Tiger

Reaction score
Visit site
That's Unfortunate. My condolences to his family. He's only 3 years younger than me... But that's life, right? S*it happens. All we can do now is hope some Dumbass who doesn't like wear gear comes across this story and changes his/her's attitude. R.I.P. And for fu*k sake, wear your gear. It's that simple, really.... just like 2+2 = 4. But We can preach all day, and chances are that It won't make a difference, so whatever. Fuc* It.

ctbandit

Fazer, don't even know er
Reaction score
Visit site
I'm form the area too and had a few people mention this to me. Pretty much any time some squid throws himself down the road people bring it up to me matter-of-factly. I feel sorry for this kids family, wish someone would have interjected early on and talked some sense into the boy before this happened.

Smersh

The Pillaging Tatar
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I'm form the area too and had a few people mention this to me. Pretty much any time some squid throws himself down the road people bring it up to me matter-of-factly. I feel sorry for this kids family, wish someone would have interjected early on and talked some sense into the boy before this happened.

Yeah, people who are in the "I'm not a rider, but motorcycles are dangerous" tend to bring this type of stuff up. I use it as an excuse to pontificate on differences between squids and riders - i have converted one ;-)

greg

UK Luchador
Reaction score
Visit site
i know america is all about freedom, but the standards needed to get a car or motorcycle licence are ridiculously low.

i can drive or ride any car or motorcycle (provided i can afford the insurance), however i went through plenty of training (perhaps less so for my car licence), in order to acheive this.

TampaFZ6

Reaction score
Visit site
IMO it takes a certain mentality to ride and stay out of harms way. Anyone that is scared of a bike and riding should never go near a bike as they are an accident waiting to happen. The mixture of a high performance bike with low confidence and experience equals death or paralyzed for life.

It sounded like this kid had money as he had a BMW 371i so he could afford a
R6. Most of use started on a standard 250 or 500 because that is what we could afford but it helped us gain experience without running us up a tree. :D

I agree with you all that this type of incident could of been prevented if someone in the chain of events (parent, older friend) would of stepped up and told this kid, NO!!, that bike is too dangerous for your nonexistent riding experience.

Chickenz

Big Wide B*****d
Reaction score
Visit site
I'm from Scotland and in the UK we have different licenses to try and stop this from happening. The other thing is that we have to wear a helmet by law, even on a 50cc moped.

We have a few different options to getting on the road:

CBT (compulsory bike training).

Under the age of 17 you are limited to 50cc.
17+ you can ride up to a 125cc (moped or geared bike)

CBT is a day long course that teaches you the basics of riding a bike and at the end if your instructor feels you can cope you spend an hour on the road. If you can't you need to do it again.

CBT lasts for 2 years then you need to do it again.

Restricted license

You sit your CBT then either have lessons or ride on your own to improve your riding.

You then sit a Module 1 test on a 125cc bike. This involves all your maneuvers and a swerve test.

Module 2 is a ride with an examiner following you marking your riding. If you pass you are restricted to 33bhp for 2 years. You could buy an R1 as long as it's restriced.

Direct access

All of the above but done on normally a 500cc bike. However you must be 21 or over to sit this test.

novaks47

Yeah!
Reaction score
Visit site
Sad, but also no surprise. How often to we read these stories after all? You can't fix stupid. All you can do is wait for itself to "self correct". That may sound harsh, but it's true.

These stories make me glad I started riding once I was a bit older(past 21), and that I started with my TW200. It allowed me to concentrate on proper riding skills, without the worry or threat of the thing taking off on me should I have accidentally applied too much throttle. Heck, the lack of any power saved my arse a few times when I first started to ride! I rode it for about two years before making it my secondary bike, and making the FZ my primary. I know it made me a better rider, and allowed me to hone the very necessary skills needed to survive in traffic. Starting small is the way to go as far as I'm concerned. I don't think it should be mandatory, but it should be recommended.

04fizzer

Reaction score
Visit site
Sad, but also no surprise. How often to we read these stories after all? You can't fix stupid. All you can do is wait for itself to "self correct". That may sound harsh, but it's true.

These stories make me glad I started riding once I was a bit older(past 21), and that I started with my TW200. It allowed me to concentrate on proper riding skills, without the worry or threat of the thing taking off on me should I have accidentally applied too much throttle. Heck, the lack of any power saved my arse a few times when I first started to ride! I rode it for about two years before making it my secondary bike, and making the FZ my primary. I know it made me a better rider, and allowed me to hone the very necessary skills needed to survive in traffic. Starting small is the way to go as far as I'm concerned. I don't think it should be mandatory, but it should be recommended.

I got started on a TW200 as well. My buddy's dad bought him a '96, and we rode the hell out of it, though I only rode it off road. That big ol' fatty rear tire really hated mud!

sniff6

Be nice i am
Reaction score
Visit site
Just about says it all !!!
facepalm.gif
eusa_wall.gif

: Biker collides with a parked car

novaks47

Yeah!
Reaction score
Visit site
I got started on a TW200 as well. My buddy's dad bought him a '96, and we rode the hell out of it, though I only rode it off road. That big ol' fatty rear tire really hated mud!

Most T'dub-ers throw ATV tires on the back, or other more off-road friendly tires. Then they'll do pretty good in mud. I personally hated the stock front tire, as it was quite slippery in the dirt. I've now got some Shinko dual sporties on it, which are geared more for street, 80 street 20 dirt. Oddly, the Shinko front does better when off roading than the stock did. lol Great little bikes!

04fizzer

Reaction score
Visit site
Most T'dub-ers throw ATV tires on the back, or other more off-road friendly tires. Then they'll do pretty good in mud. I personally hated the stock front tire, as it was quite slippery in the dirt. I've now got some Shinko dual sporties on it, which are geared more for street, 80 street 20 dirt. Oddly, the Shinko front does better when off roading than the stock did. lol Great little bikes!

It was certainly a fun bike. There were a few of us that learned to ride a bike on that thing.