Yamaha WARRIOR?!?!?

DaveOTZ

Reaction score
Visit site
Sooo...
Stopped by the dealer to grab some new gloves (Alpine Star Atlas, highly recommend for anyone that has to deal with too much traffic so very comfy)

My wife is looking for a bike... She hates cruisers but can barely swing her leg over anything (Shes Petite) She saw the Warrior and said she liked the look for me... I through a leg over and held onto the bars. It felt kinda right, no it felt very right. slightly forward positioning with forward controls on the legs. Dual Disc brakes R1 forks... Dealer was ready to come down to 9,800 on a 2010... I almost pulled the trigger.

What do my fizzy peeps think?? 1700cc power with a hybrid feel?

brad81987

Reaction score
Visit site
Sooo...
Stopped by the dealer to grab some new gloves (Alpine Star Atlas, highly recommend for anyone that has to deal with too much traffic so very comfy)

My wife is looking for a bike... She hates cruisers but can barely swing her leg over anything (Shes Petite) She saw the Warrior and said she liked the look for me... I through a leg over and held onto the bars. It felt kinda right, no it felt very right. slightly forward positioning with forward controls on the legs. Dual Disc brakes R1 forks... Dealer was ready to come down to 9,800 on a 2010... I almost pulled the trigger.

I don't know a lot about the Warrior, but I've heard it's a power house. A buddy of mine got a Raider last summer. Bit bigger than the Warrior I think, but I highly suggest checking that one out too. It's a torque monster.

Kazza

Administrator aka Mrs Prebstar
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Just looked up a pic - sorry, but I don't like the look. Looks too much like a cruiser, IMO.

In the end, it's whatever your wife feels comfortable with.

My only worry would be, since she's petite, if she was riding by herself and did something as simple as dropping the bike trying to put it on the stand etc, would she be able to pick it up? Gotta admit, I would have trouble picking up my FZ6, but I'm going to the gym at the moment to get some upper body strength.

Just a thought.....

discgolfdude

Reaction score
Visit site
If I was looking for a cruiser I would get the warrior too. Although, yamaha doesn't have it listed for 2010, only as a 2009. My wife likes the look too. She was mad that I came home with the fz lol.

DaveOTZ

Reaction score
Visit site
Just looked up a pic - sorry, but I don't like the look. Looks too much like a cruiser, IMO.

In the end, it's whatever your wife feels comfortable with.

My only worry would be, since she's petite, if she was riding by herself and did something as simple as dropping the bike trying to put it on the stand etc, would she be able to pick it up? Gotta admit, I would have trouble picking up my FZ6, but I'm going to the gym at the moment to get some upper body strength.

Just a thought.....

Kaz... Not for her... For me!!! Shes like 5'1" maybe a 650, but a 1700cc out of the gate might be a bit much... Its a total cruiser, with some R1 parts...

The bigger issue is that Im an occupational therapist so my ankles and knees take the beating of a major league catcher. I love the FZ and as far as sport/sport touring/naked/standard I couldn't see myself on anything else (ok maybe an FJR or BMW 1200 GS), so I've been looking at cruisers I was looking at the Triumph Thunderbird initially, but the maintenance aspect and the price seemed intimidating, not too mention the ergos were way cruiser. The Warrior had this slightly forward feel (made me engage my core, just a touch) and the handling is supposed to be very sport friendly, while providing forward controls to save my lower extremity joints. It might be some time before I pulled the trigger, but having thrown a leg over this monster got me thinking.

Kazza

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Kaz... Not for her... For me!!! Shes like 5'1" maybe a 650, but a 1700cc out of the gate might be a bit much... Its a total cruiser, with some R1 parts...

The bigger issue is that Im an occupational therapist so my ankles and knees take the beating of a major league catcher. I love the FZ and as far as sport/sport touring/naked/standard I couldn't see myself on anything else (ok maybe an FJR or BMW 1200 GS), so I've been looking at cruisers I was looking at the Triumph Thunderbird initially, but the maintenance aspect and the price seemed intimidating, not too mention the ergos were way cruiser. The Warrior had this slightly forward feel (made me engage my core, just a touch) and the handling is supposed to be very sport friendly, while providing forward controls to save my lower extremity joints. It might be some time before I pulled the trigger, but having thrown a leg over this monster got me thinking.
Oh, doh!

1700cc is pretty big. While I don't like cruisers, some of the retro looking Triumphs are beautiful. I do like the Thunderbird - not as long as other bikes.

For comfort, why not look at something like a Bonneville or Thruxton. Very cool looking and should be low enough for your wife to get on.

Are you keeping the FZ?

DaveOTZ

Reaction score
Visit site
She wants me to keep the FZ, but I would only if shed let me lower it for her, We live in the city so were very limited on space. I will miss Tin Fizzy (if/when)...

I have always loved the Bonne and the thrux, Ive been trying to get my wife to start out on a bonne, but she doesn't like the look. I think shes thinking about the Suzuki SV... and what I said before about the never getting anything sportier... My FZ6 gets very jealous whenever theres a Speed Triple around...

Kazza

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
She wants me to keep the FZ, but I would only if shed let me lower it for her, We live in the city so were very limited on space. I will miss Tin Fizzy (if/when)...

I have always loved the Bonne and the thrux, Ive been trying to get my wife to start out on a bonne, but she doesn't like the look. I think shes thinking about the Suzuki SV... and what I said before about the never getting anything sportier... My FZ6 gets very jealous whenever theres a Speed Triple around...

Like this one..... Mine doesn't get jealous - she knows she's better :D

krid80

journeyman of epic status
Elite Member
Reaction score
www.surdykeharley.com
Sooo...

Make sure you take it for a ride. It is gonna be very different than the FZ. It has a ton of torque but less horsepower (only spins about 5k RPM's).

They are fun (for a cruiser :rolleyes: ) but not a speed demon.

DaveOTZ

Reaction score
Visit site
Im not much of a top end guy... I feel like I'm too easy on Tin Fizzy...

But I will say this if green wasn't a problem the V-Rod would make the Warrior an afterthought...

If the trigger is pulled I will miss those high revs and the pull I get over 9kRPMs

krid80

journeyman of epic status
Elite Member
Reaction score
www.surdykeharley.com

But I will say this if green wasn't a problem the V-Rod would make the Warrior an afterthought...

If the trigger is pulled I will miss those high revs and the pull I get over 9kRPMs

screw HD if green wasn't a problem get a V-Max and go Hayabusa hunting!

Pryor

Reaction score
Visit site
My last bike was a warrior. I loved it for different reasons than I love this bike.
Just make sure you are srtaight before going wide open!!!:BLAA:

Pryor

Reaction score
Visit site
Make sure you take it for a ride. It is gonna be very different than the FZ. It has a ton of torque but less horsepower (only spins about 5k RPM's).

They are fun (for a cruiser :rolleyes: ) but not a speed demon.

I had no problem keeping with the sport bikes in the twistys.
It will feel like a tank compared to our FZ.

Last edited:

Kriswithak

Reaction score
Visit site

Ewww no insult to the people who like them, but seriously HD are just peices of overpriced crap.
I know a few people who got sucked in by the lifestyle advertising and they all wish they had bought real bikes now.
Plus they generally spent twice as much as they would have on anything else, and can't find anyone who will pay even 50% of the original price because most people aren't being sucked in by the advertising after the way the economy has been.
That being said I dislike HD's and am a tiny tiny bit biased.
I do hear they are good if you have a boat though.

Mexi-can't

Biker dude
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I like the Warrior. IMO it's a decent cruiser with a good powerplant. A good friend has one and wanted to ride my FZ6 one day just to see what he was missing. He came back with a huge grin. It's got power but in a different rpm range and style. :thumbup: