Yamaha DT125 : Good/Bad?

Jacobien

Reaction score
Visit site
Good day.

I am thinking of buying an off-roader, since I live in Africa and all...
How is the DT125 two stroke? Does anyone own one or know from first hand experience how it is overall?

My friend has a TW200, but that for me is too sluggish.

A friend had a DT125 back in the 70s, it was the 125 of choice back then. As I recall (vaguely) it was fun to ride.

Are you looking at a new one?

If you are, why not buy a DT175? it's only R1,000 more.

Last edited:
I've got a DT175, 01 model. It's ok, but a little gutless. I have a 8.5 acre property which is pretty steep and it does the job. I just like more power these days. Kawasaki do pretty good road/trail bikes also.

I would rather go for a Yamaha TTR230, if you want to ride in the bush. Awesome entry level off road bike. You’ve also got the benefit of an electric start button. Last year, someone completed the Roof of Africa on one.

FZ6-ZN

That DT1 is a basic, solid bike. The DT also has electric start. Grew up up At1's, YZ125's, 250's.
My first bike was a 1970 AT1 125(same bike just older without reed's). The two strokes generally, in my opinion, have the power of a standard 4 stroke 250.

Not hard to fix either, I had cases apart for various reasons thru out my younger years. Wish I could find an older DT 250, 400 in good shape...

Scott

Back