Yamaha demo day

texcollect

Crotchety Old Fart
Reaction score
Visit site
Yesterday a buddy (FZ6R) and I went up to the dealer we bought our bikes from for a Yamaha demo day.

I love my FZ6, but being 6ft6 tall sometimes I feel like I need a physically bigger bike. so the first bike I took out was the new Super Tenere. Was recommended by the guy running the demos to leave it in Sport mode so I did. It was a fun bike. Fitted me like a glove and rode beautifully. Not sure if I could get used to the sound of a twin after the FZ6.

Second bike out was the FJR. Now that was fun. Loved the electric windshield and the heated grips. Found that with my long legs my knees fouled the fairing when I was stopped. Certainly a rocket ship and I could see myself doing some long days, at least until the cops take my license away !!

My buddy really wanted to take out the R6, but it had been a pretty popular ride and so we booked a ride later on and headed out for some lunch.

So for my final ride I thought I'd try something different and took out a Raider SCL (Star Custom Line). This is a $20k bike. I just couldn't get comfortable on it. By the end of the ride my back hurt like hell. Riding a 1854 cc twin is obviously a lot different to riding a 600. They don't give you a rev counter so when I tried to accelerate onto the freeway in second gear and hit the rev limiter my acceleration came to an abrupt halt. How was I supposed to know that it redlines at 5K and the rev limiter comes in shortly thereafter!!

I was so so glad to get back onto my, smooth as silk compared to the Raider, FZ6 for the ride home.

I guess when it's time to replace the FZ6 (no time soon though) there's probably an FJR in my future. Having said that Kawasaki's coming to town March 3rd and 4th so maybe I'll take a Concours out for a spin.

Red Wazp

Reaction score
Visit site
I've got 85K on my 04FJR and still like it as much as the day I rode it home. Great for long days in the saddle and the 1300 gets with the program real nice.
I'm not as tall as you so it does fit better for me and you can't go wrong with a Feejeer but I could see where the S 10 would work well too. Love the drive shaft!

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
You didn't test the FZ1?! If you love your FZ6, I bet you'd feel most at home on FZ1. Ride one before you settle on FJR.

faseljd

Reaction score
Visit site
When they came here I test rode the FZ-8, the V-Max and the Stratos cruiser. The FZ-8 felt pretty good, very comparable to my FZ-6 so much so that it didnt seem worth the jump up in bikes. The V-Max was fun, but no where near the raw power and versatility of my B-King. The Stratos was pretty cool, quite powerful and had everything you could want for the long haul.Kick myself in the head for not trying out the FJ though but it looked too tall for me.

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I've got 85K on my 04FJR and still like it as much as the day I rode it home. Great for long days in the saddle and the 1300 gets with the program real nice.
I'm not as tall as you so it does fit better for me and you can't go wrong with a Feejeer but I could see where the S 10 would work well too. Love the drive shaft!

And he's fast as hell on the Feejer even with a pillion! :D