Xenon headlight bulbs

Yammi Dodger

Reaction score
Visit site
Just like to ask if anyone as tried the Xenon headlight bulbs on there Fazer. Are they much brighter than the stock bulbs, and are they with-in the Law as they seem to have a blue tint when looking front on to the bike. :thumbup:

dolau

Reaction score
Visit site
I have the blue/white headlights fitted and they are much brighter and cheap on Ebay but they dont last too long- having siad that the current pair seem to have lasted well- which is a shame as I brought myself a pair of Phillips daylight bulbs and am waiting for one to go before I change it.

I also did the twin dipped headlight conversion- wire from the dip left to the dip connector on the right hand bulb- it is safe and it doesnt burn out your wiring harness but I found my harness a little tight and didnt want to just Scotch lock a cable between the two so brough two H4 lamp connectors in Halfords and re-wired it.

The efeect is brilliant and it gives you the confidence that your single dipped healdight will not burn out on you one night while you are driving in the night- chances of two at once are remote!

This twin dipped headlight conversion is however an MOT failure so put a bullet connector between in the line to the second right hand dipped light and disconnect it when you take your bike in for its MOT. I was unaware of this and the MOT tester but the connector (male and female) in line for me on my FZS6 before I brought the FZ6S2 so I knew what to do

In short- blue Xennon oatever they may be bulbs are brilliant - literally- and gthey have the same wattage as the stock bulbs so add no extra strain on your electrical system

Hope that helps

Yammi Dodger

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks for the reply don't really know where you stand with the law with the blue tint from the headlight. Just changed the sidelight bulbs with LED's so much better than the stock bulbs, and it gets rid of that yellowish glow.

Senior

My brother is Junior
Reaction score
Visit site
So, I changed my lamps to the blue tinted xenon ones and a quad LED for the side lights a while ago and when the bike went for its first MOT no mention of the colour, but this years MOT, in the same shop and even the same tester I get an advise because of the blue tint you can see on the reflector when the lights are not even on.

Funny thing the exact same thing happened with my car this year, an "advise" for the blue tint on the head light lamps . . . .

I wonder if there has been some revision to the MOT testing guidelines ?

Anycase, I've no intention of changing the lamps . . . .

Sent from my HTC Desire using Tapatalk

topgun44

Reaction score
Visit site
So, I changed my lamps to the blue tinted xenon ones and a quad LED for the side lights a while ago and when the bike went for its first MOT no mention of the colour, but this years MOT, in the same shop and even the same tester I get an advise because of the blue tint you can see on the reflector when the lights are not even on.

Funny thing the exact same thing happened with my car this year, an "advise" for the blue tint on the head light lamps . . . .

I wonder if there has been some revision to the MOT testing guidelines ?

Anycase, I've no intention of changing the lamps . . . .

Sent from my HTC Desire using Tapatalk

HID lights – Specifically those aftermarket kits that give the very bright headlight beams. Any cars found with these kits will be an automatic MOT failure. Testers are able to easily spot the difference between HID kits, and manufacturer fitted Xenon’s. Easy to spot as Xenon cars have suspension level sensors, in car beam adjuster, and usually headlight washers.
Chipped ECU’s - Unsure of just how/if this one will realistically be enforced, but any cars with chipped ECU’s will in theory be an MOT failure. I can only assume VOSA have found an easy way of checking ECU software through the cars OBD port (diagnostic plug).
Wiring harness – The general condition of he wiring harness will be checked to make sure there is no rubbing or chaffing, and that the harnesses are in generally good condition. If unsecure, or damaged again MOT failure.
Airbag warning lights - If any warning lights are illuminated, it will again be an MOT failure.
this dont look good
these are some of the new mot rules for 2012:rockon:

dolau

Reaction score
Visit site
I dont think the blue xenon bulbs are HID- I thought HID was an expensive upgrade with transformers and gizmo's?

I have heard about the new MOT rules and the new rules for bikers like no modifications and high viz in France

25th September I think is a MAG day of action on the motorways- 45mph across three lanes to piss off the cagers but I dont think it will have any effect apart from maybe some tickets for obstruction or some such law