WTB: Rear rack

HaChayalBoded

Reaction score
Visit site
How about a Ventura rack? Complete with waterproof bag and grab handle (that you mount in place of the rack when you don't want it on, take about 15 seconds to swap).

CavDoc

Reaction score
Visit site
I'm really looking for something I can mount a decent sized dry bag or my everyday backpack to easily, such as with SW-MOTECH's soft luggage adapter plate...I guess I'm not quite sure what the Ventura rack looks like or whether it'll meet my needs! Got any pics?

HaChayalBoded

Reaction score
Visit site
I'm really looking for something I can mount a decent sized dry bag or my everyday backpack to easily, such as with SW-MOTECH's soft luggage adapter plate...I guess I'm not quite sure what the Ventura rack looks like or whether it'll meet my needs! Got any pics?

You can mount a very decently sized dry bag to this, or use the one designed for it.

Here are some pics and a video

Yamaha FZ6-N, S Fazer - Light Guard fits N-Naked model only, from Ventura | Leading Online Motorcycle Luggage Store

Ventura Bike-Pack System - YouTube

CavDoc

Reaction score
Visit site
Looks pretty cool, but not quite what I'm looking for - thanks though!

Really want to be able to add a flat adapter plate on top that I can easily strap my dry-spec bags to for more stability when I have both bags loaded up, and that I can just strap down my normal backpack or gym bag on for my day-to-day stuff.

Twisted Throttle DrySpec

HaChayalBoded

Reaction score
Visit site
Looks pretty cool, but not quite what I'm looking for - thanks though!

Really want to be able to add a flat adapter plate on top that I can easily strap my dry-spec bags to for more stability when I have both bags loaded up, and that I can just strap down my normal backpack or gym bag on for my day-to-day stuff.

Twisted Throttle DrySpec

I had that D66 dry bag, didn't like it, have a nearly identical bag lying around though I can mount to the Ventura and take some pics if you like.

Or are you wanting to mount a bag the longway like this?
17730-300x300.jpg

If so then you have 2 decent options (that I have found so far). Both require a small amount of fabrication. I'm personally going to be in the shop this week and see what I come up with.

First, if using a Ventura base I would do one of two things.

First option is to take a standard sport rack and chop off the protruding bar. Plug the holes. Done. Quick, simple and if you decide you don't like what you did you can always get a new sport rack which is cheap or just mount one of the other racks or grab handle (if getting multiples). Changing them out takes just a couple seconds unscrewing 2 thumbscrews.

Second Ventura option. Take a flat rack or a flat piece of aluminum and drill two holes the same size as those on the Ventura L brackets. Using either a pinbolt or a pinlock bolt drop those through the racks holes into the Ventura L bracket holes and screw in the Ventura thumlock bolts. Voila, instant flat rack on the Ventura in whatever size you decide to make. That's what I did on my old Hawk for a while, worked nicely.

Or get the Shad rack, which will give you a nice solid flat base to start with. Then mount whatever rack you like directly to that. The Shad rack is more of a pain to mount and will damage the paint on the bike (only noticeable if you ever remove it) but will give you a better starting point. It is also the least obtrusive rack.

The SW-Motech and GIVI top racks use a very long arm on each side that frankly looks ugly (to me). Also, they are VERY expensive for what they offer.

In case you aren't aware, the SW-Motech rack requires that you cut notches in your fairing for it to fit! Even though the mounting points are identical to the one Ventura uses, they managed to do it without needing the customer to defile their bike.

But the SW-Motech rack does give you a "free" soft saddlebag support.

There are your options. Is there a reason that strapping the D66 to the back seat is not an option for you? It would seem the simplest solution and not cost you a penny.