WTB: Hard side bags for 2006 FZ6

lomax

Reaction score
Visit site
I am looking to do some touring on my 2006 FZ6 this summer and while I have tons of soft bags was considering some type of hard side bags. I would like a turn key setup that I can just install. Of course if something comes up that is priced right and I need to get some extras to mount them that would be fine also. Warning I am on a low pay high bills budget here. LOL:

I live around Denver Colorado so shipping would be a must, unless someone around here has something.

Thanks in advance.

Marc

AngelFZ

Reaction score
Visit site
I know you are looking for an inexpensive used set, but in case it comes to it, the cheapest new set-up I could find is the Givi PL351+351 kit and E21 cases. Total cost around $363 from here for example.

Thank you very much.
I'll take a look at this info.
Do you know if this set up will work with the Leo Vince?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

lomax

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks for the info. I will look into it. :thumbup:

Actually I was thinking, imagine that LOL: and I do have the BMW for the longer trips and should probably be in thrifty mode for now.

I have lots of soft bags if needed.

But who knows LOL:

Marc

Last edited:

SirIsaac

My mind is going, Dave
Reaction score
Visit site
Thank you very much.
I'll take a look at this info.
Do you know if this set up will work with the Leo Vince?

You are welcome!

Sorry, I don't know if it would work with Leo Vince or other aftermarket exhaust. Probably not directly since the brackets that surround the muffler actually bolt to the bottom of the stock muffler. But there may be a way to adapt. Perhaps there are some Givi rack owners that can provide more info.

FZ-B

Reaction score
Visit site
those cases with the SW Motech racks will most likely work with aftermarket exhausts. They do install using the stock fender so some working around is needed with a FE. TwistedThrottle.com has them, I paid right around $425 shipped.

CCHOUSEKY

Kentucky Wildcat Fanatic
Reaction score
Visit site
OP, as far as I know, this is the best price on the Givi E21 sidecases if you're buying new. $170 plus $10 shipping (that's for the cases only).

RL Motorcycles

The mounting racks you'll need to pick up separately, and if memory serves me correctly, they run somewhere around $140.

I just recently bought a set from a member on here and got lucky...he lives about 15 minutes from me, so there wasn't any shipping and he made me a great deal on them. But, if I'd had to buy them new, they would've been completely worth the cost. These things are SOLID and the ones I got came with 3 keys (one key locks, unlocks, and removes the cases from the racks. So I've got two spares in case I lose the one on my key chain).

You can also check out Craigslist and you might get lucky and find a set for sale. Remember, only the racks are bike-specific, the cases can come off ANY bike. I know they don't come up for sale very often, but it does happen.

Good luck! :thumbup:

Squiz

Reaction score
Visit site
OP, as far as I know, this is the best price on the Givi E21 sidecases if you're buying new. $170 plus $10 shipping (that's for the cases only).

RL Motorcycles

The mounting racks you'll need to pick up separately, and if memory serves me correctly, they run somewhere around $140.

I just recently bought a set from a member on here and got lucky...he lives about 15 minutes from me, so there wasn't any shipping and he made me a great deal on them. But, if I'd had to buy them new, they would've been completely worth the cost. These things are SOLID and the ones I got came with 3 keys (one key locks, unlocks, and removes the cases from the racks. So I've got two spares in case I lose the one on my key chain).

You can also check out Craigslist and you might get lucky and find a set for sale. Remember, only the racks are bike-specific, the cases can come off ANY bike. I know they don't come up for sale very often, but it does happen.

Good luck! :thumbup:

Hey CCHOUSE, how does the setup look on your naked FZ...do you have a pic? I own an 04 blue naked FZ with a similar headlight conversion as yours and I’m eager to see how this looks with the bags mounted. Is the GIVI top case mount required? And lastly, what mounting hardware is required to purchase aside from the mounting frames and the bags.

Thanks for the help, I can’t wait to pickup this setup and mount it on a streetfighter.

CCHOUSEKY

Kentucky Wildcat Fanatic
Reaction score
Visit site
Hey Squiz, sorry I didn't see your questions until now.

First, here's a few shots of the bike with the hard bags. You'll notice I've got the topcase rack also, but there is a setup available that doesn't require the topcase rack in order to install the sidecase racks. I believe the sidecase racks for that kit are basically the same, but you need the piece that goes around the exhaust in order to mount the top of the racks. I'll see if I can find some links to the kit you would need.

9179eb21.jpg

01bb1d88.jpg

e46cf6fa.jpg

22a3223a.jpg

I really like the way they look on a naked FZ6. And while, from the back, they look REALLY wide, in person they don't look or feel it. The fact that they sit on the side of the bike also preserves the lines of the naked bike very nicely.

As far as what you need to install, everything should come with the kit. I'll tell you from experience installing the topcase rack (and since both it and the sidecase racks use the same bracket around the exhaust, this still holds) the bracket around the exhaust is a PITA! You'll want to cuss and throw things, but after a few deep breaths, you'll figure it out. I'll get into that more if you decide to get the racks. Just let me know if you need any help with installation.

:thumbup:

CCHOUSEKY

Kentucky Wildcat Fanatic
Reaction score
Visit site
Ok, this might explain what you need. I'll try and make it clear since it can get a little confusing...lol. If you look at this in conjunction with the link below, it'll really clear things up.

Cases, Side Hardbags, Soft Luggages, Screens, Spoilers YAMAHA FZ-6

FZ351 (or 351FZ): These are the ARMS used to mount a topcase. In addition to this, you'll also need either a MONOKEY (M5) or MONOLOCK (M5M) plate. The plate is what the topcase will actually mount to.

PL351: These are the mounts for the sidecases. I've got this in conjunction with the FZ351 kit above. These sidecase mounts will ONLY work if you've got the FZ351 topcase rack listed above (or if you've got the bracket from the FZ351 kit above that goes around the exhaust...more on that in a minute).

PLX351: These are the sidecase mounts for the V35 sidecases. They're the extremely expensive ($400+) sidecases that I could never afford...lol. You only need these if you decided to go with the V35 sidecases and you'd also need the FZ351 kit that mounts the topcase to make them work.

Now, the 351KIT and T351 kit listed at the bottom of the page are ONLY soft saddlebag supports. They can't be used to mount hard cases. They're just supports for soft saddlebags.

I'm gonna have to do some more digging, but basically, what you need if you wanted my setup without the topcase rack is the PL351 sidecase racks and the piece from the FZ351 topcase rack that goes around the exhaust. I've seen that listed somewhere, but I'll have to check around and see where I can find it.

To be continued...

turbid

Reaction score
Visit site
i am also planning to buy the side cases (new unfortunately), i already have the top rack points mounted so that should help me avoid kicking around in frustration :spank:

any way i have 2 questions. are the side racks easy to dismount from the bike when not needed? and do you really need to relocate the indicators? i have smaller led ones so i m thinking that relocating can be avoided

SirIsaac

My mind is going, Dave
Reaction score
Visit site
I'll tell you from experience installing the topcase rack (and since both it and the sidecase racks use the same bracket around the exhaust, this still holds) the bracket around the exhaust is a PITA! You'll want to cuss and throw things, but after a few deep breaths, you'll figure it out. I'll get into that more if you decide to get the racks. Just let me know if you need any help with installation.
:thumbup:

I just bought a set of PL360 sidecase racks and the 351 mounting bracket kit, plus a pair of the E21 cases. Looking at the instructions, the installation of the 351 brackets doesn't appear difficult, one bolt in the frame tube using the expanding tube insert, and one bolt on the bottom of the muffler for each bracket. Please elaborate on the difficulties you encountered, and solutions.
thanks,
Jeff

CCHOUSEKY

Kentucky Wildcat Fanatic
Reaction score
Visit site
i am also planning to buy the side cases (new unfortunately), i already have the top rack points mounted so that should help me avoid kicking around in frustration :spank:

any way i have 2 questions. are the side racks easy to dismount from the bike when not needed? and do you really need to relocate the indicators? i have smaller led ones so i m thinking that relocating can be avoided

The side racks are very easy to remove. There are two bolts that mount to the bracket around the exhaust and two other mounting points (you use the pin that holds the passenger pegs on). One word of advice I got from the member I bought mine from that works VERY well. Instead of reusing the pin that currently holds the passenger pegs in place, simply get some stainless steel bolts and nuts (along with ss washers) and use those through the passenger pegs instead. Otherwise, you'll have to un-bend and re-bend the cotter pin that holds the pin in place. Take a look at your current passenger pegs and you'll see what I mean...on the underside of the pegs.

As far as the indicators go, I didn't need to relocate mine because I've already got one of the license plate things that moves the indicators inward towards the middle of the bike. With one of those in place, the indicators easily clear the bags.

I just bought a set of PL360 sidecase racks and the 351 mounting bracket kit, plus a pair of the E21 cases. Looking at the instructions, the installation of the 351 brackets doesn't appear difficult, one bolt in the frame tube using the expanding tube insert, and one bolt on the bottom of the muffler for each bracket. Please elaborate on the difficulties you encountered, and solutions.
thanks,
Jeff

It's been a LONG time since I installed mine, but if memory serves me correctly there were a couple of $#%&@ points during the installation.

The first was the frame tube insert. While I didn't have this problem, there have been a lot of people that have accidentally dropped a nut or bolt down into the frame tube. While it's not THAT big of a deal, it is something to be aware of before you begin.

And from what I remember, installing the bracket that goes around the exhaust was the most difficult part. The heat shield was easy to get off, but once the bracket was in place, putting it back on (with the smaller clearances) was a PITA. And getting at some of the bolts you needed to remove and then replace wasn't easy either. It took me and a guy I work with, who's extremely good with mechanics, the better part of 4 hours to get it done. That's not to say that others haven't had an easier time, but for me, at least, it wasn't a pleasant experience! :D