WOW, sandwiched between cars on bike...

McLovin

plain evil
Reaction score
Visit site
Iraq war veteran, back from war, riding a sportbike, crashing, getting injured but surviving.. why does this scenario seem extremely familiar? Oh wait, its because theres been a million reported incidents of young war veterans buying liter bikes and hurting themselves with it. This guy is lucky. Cars cannot be trusted and every rider should EXPECT to be rear ended in an emergency stop in traffic. Anticipate the worst and always be prepared. Head for the hole if you have an obstacle in front of you!

oh and I call BS on the fact that he was going to propose to her the next day..blah..blah...always dramatizing everything into a reality tv show..stupid news people

Last edited:

DownrangeFuture

Electronic Repair Genius
Reaction score
Visit site
Regardless of how he was riding, the vehicle behind him wasn't paying attention, wouldn't have swerved in exactly the same way that they wouldn't (and definitely didn't) stop. I saw this on jalopnik earlier and people were criticizing his riding style and attributing at least part of the blame to that. Idiots! The reason he got hit wasn't because he wasn't anticipating the stop or was riding in the middle of the lane; the reason he got hit was because the person behind him was too busy dancing like a fool in his car to pay attention to the road.

You are exactly right. The car was 100% at fault.

Personally, I'd rather move than be "dead right". But if you want to ride with the idea "if he hits me from behind, it's his fault" go right ahead. You won't be in the wrong.

Dead maybe, but you won't be wrong. Maybe that will console your friends and family. "Well, he's dead, but at least it wasn't his fault!"

Sorry to go all dramatic, but I feel it makes the point. It doesn't matter who was legally in the wrong, if he had the opportunity to avoid the accident (and he did) and he took no action to do so, he is wrong. Not legally, of course. The car is legally at fault. Every accident is a chain of events. Break one link in the chain and the accident wouldn't happen. Every link in that chain of events, except the last one was made by the rider. He could have broken any one of them and avoided the accident. Riding in middle of the lane, improper emergency braking, not checking behind him for cars, not fully understanding how to ride his bike in the first place, etc.

It's kind of like those "buzzed" driving commercials. "Oh, you were only buzzed? My arm is fine and my girlfriend didn't really die!" Not how it works in real life.

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
You are exactly right. The car was 100% at fault.

Personally, I'd rather move than be "dead right". But if you want to ride with the idea "if he hits me from behind, it's his fault" go right ahead. You won't be in the wrong.

Dead maybe, but you won't be wrong. Maybe that will console your friends and family. "Well, he's dead, but at least it wasn't his fault!"

Sorry to go all dramatic, but I feel it makes the point. It doesn't matter who was legally in the wrong, if he had the opportunity to avoid the accident (and he did) and he took no action to do so, he is wrong. Not legally, of course. The car is legally at fault. Every accident is a chain of events. Break one link in the chain and the accident wouldn't happen. Every link in that chain of events, except the last one was made by the rider. He could have broken any one of them and avoided the accident. Riding in middle of the lane, improper emergency braking, not checking behind him for cars, not fully understanding how to ride his bike in the first place, etc.

It's kind of like those "buzzed" driving commercials. "Oh, you were only buzzed? My arm is fine and my girlfriend didn't really die!" Not how it works in real life.

Now here's a rider who understands how important it takes Mentally to ride safely rather than relying on your physical skills. Although his braking wasn't pretty, his physical skills allowed him to avoid the collision what was in front of him. But....his mental failure to paint a bigger picture of his situation resulted in the crash. Yes, not his fault but could have been prevented.

Speed, safety margin, positioning, looking, braking, swerving, traffic are always things to consider and changes every moment.

Remember, if you fail Mentally, you have to rely on your physical skills, and if your physical skills fail, then your last resort is your safety gear.

Zargof

MSF Instructor
Reaction score
Visit site
I can say I have been rear ended, not on my bike, all because the person was not paying attention. Now even in other vehicles I am always looking for ways out at stoplights and signs because I never want to go through it again.

lonesoldier84

SuperFlanker Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Iraq war veteran, back from war, riding a sportbike, crashing, getting injured but surviving.. why does this scenario seem extremely familiar? Oh wait, its because theres been a million reported incidents of young war veterans buying liter bikes and hurting themselves with it. This guy is lucky. Cars cannot be trusted and every rider should EXPECT to be rear ended in an emergency stop in traffic. Anticipate the worst and always be prepared. Head for the hole if you have an obstacle in front of you!

oh and I call BS on the fact that he was going to propose to her the next day..blah..blah...always dramatizing everything into a reality tv show..stupid news people

McLovin be McHatin

Lol. But yes I agree.

DeepEmissions

SportBike No0b
Reaction score
Visit site
My worst nightmare, I don't have real experience with avoiding accidents on 2 wheels, but I have successfully avoided 3 in my Cager Dakota (knocking on wood right now) I think I have a decent reaction time hence me having no accidents on record. But U have to be ready for Everything on a bike, there is minimal safety equipment available to protect the rider, short of air bag jackets (still new technology.)

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
LOL.....forgot to add the most important reason why you should ride off set from the vehicle directly in front of you.

Visiblity!

For the driver in front of you, you become visible in two mirrors versus one if you were riding right in the middle part of the lane. And for yourself, it allows you to see farther down the road since the vehicle isn't obstructing your view what potential hazards lie ahead. Often times, I find myself slowing down well before the vehicle in front of me, allowing myself to gradually slow down, instead of waiting for the driver in front of me to slow down.

I truly believe that if that rider in Texas was favoring towards either side of his lane, he may have seen that traffic up ahead had stopped well before rather than finding out from the vehicle directly in front of him.

If you don't believe that this helps, next time when your riding down the freeway at 60 mph with moderate to heavy or even rush hour traffic, try riding either to the left or right of your lane and see how much more you are able to see down the roadway versus following a vehicle directly from the middle.