would frame sliders be overkill?

dean owens

Hippopotomonstrosesquiped
Elite Member
Reaction score
www.ccf-unc.org
i have one of these engine guards on my bike.
6435-425x350.jpg

the top mounts for the guard are where frame sliders would go. i like the engine guard but i could see the possible benefit of having sliders to help possibly protect the fairing more. would this be overkill? is it even possible?

also, are there any sliders for these bikes besides the frame sliders? is there anything for the rear and the forks?

LERecords

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
either that or of sliders.. both would be real overkill, and you have to take the bars off when you change the oil.. that could run you the risk of stripping the bolt threads from undoing/doing them all the time.. i would go for just frame sliders.. a good pair is just what you need.. my 2 choices are either LSL Sliders or Motovation sliders... both are great and lots of people will give you good reviews here .. hope it helps...

ChromeX

Reaction score
Visit site
I've done just what you are asking.
I put the frame sliders "on top" of the engine guard.
The problem is there is not an allen head bolt "long" enough to catch enough of the engine threads.
I resolved this by getting a "hex" head bolt long enough, but now the problem was the hex head would not fit inside the slider. Resolved this by putting drum sander in Dremel and opened up inside of slider just enough to fit Hex head & thin wall deep socket. Actually not that much material removed.
Does it do any good to have both --- I'm thinking/hoping it can't hurt. I've had the experience of being way out in the boonies and damaged a case. The time and money it took me to get out of there could have been simple re; engine guard. Soooo to me if it helps that's a good thing --- I hope I never have to find out!

ChromeX

Reaction score
Visit site
Oh, previous post pics.
Look at the engine case... see the scratchs.
I purchased bike "used" - got a good discount because of these scratches; point is these were a zero mph fall over. Now I think engine guards will prevent an or should there be some slid-en, oil might just stay in the engine!

aggiehiker

Reaction score
Visit site
I have the same cage, it just arrived and I need to install it. Can you show e a picture of the left side please?:)

Oh and
...you have to take the bars off when you change the oil...

If they are the same bars I have, you do not have to take them off to change the oil.

LERecords

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I've had the experience of being way out in the boonies and damaged a case.

i see your point of why it would be a good thing to have one of these if you do some heavy touring.. might have to look into giving up my belly pan for one of these.. cuz your right, i would hate for somethign to happen in the boonies and be SOL!!!!

madmanmaigret

Mad like crazy not angry
Reaction score
Visit site
I don't know if slider are overkill......but I like overkill sometimes (especially safety overkill) but motovation does make fork/rear axle/bar end sliders. Also, if you find the metric (M10xlength or something like that) dimensions of the bolt (with the engine guard) motovation may be able to hook you up with the bolts.

dean owens

Elite Member
Reaction score
www.ccf-unc.org
glad to know there are other "paranoid" people out there like me. i bought the bike with the engine guard already on it. what made me think of the sliders is the fact that the previous owner dropped the bike at a stand-still. engine is good, but the fairing has some rash on it (as well as one of the forks). i wondered if there were sliders if it would have helped some.

i'll be looking around and post when i get some. i guess i can search for this... but are frame sliders all the same? is there an advantage to longer, shorter, carbon fiber, polished whatever, etc.?

btw, about the oil changes... i've yet to do one. i really hope i don't have to take this off each and every time. that would get a little annoying. and i probably would leave it off. which would really stink because i just put on a set of highway pegs last night. i would really hate to see them go.

thanks guys.

dean owens

Elite Member
Reaction score
www.ccf-unc.org
i clicked on the link in your sig to look at a pic of the belly pan. i really doubt you could do the two together. the engine guard sticks out about an inch (plus) more than the stator cover on the left side (same on the other side obviously). that pan looks like it hugs pretty tight up on the bottom of the engine. i think if you did it, you would have to be very creative and possibly do some cutting to the pan. but realize i've never seen a pan in person so i'm just going on pics.

aggiehiker

Reaction score
Visit site
I think it may fit with some slight modifications to the belly pan. I am looking for a cheap one to cut up as we speak.:rockon:

Braz

Reaction score
Visit site
glad to know there are other "paranoid" people out there like me. i bought the bike with the engine guard already on it. what made me think of the sliders is the fact that the previous owner dropped the bike at a stand-still. engine is good, but the fairing has some rash on it (as well as one of the forks). i wondered if there were sliders if it would have helped some.

i'll be looking around and post when i get some. i guess i can search for this... but are frame sliders all the same? is there an advantage to longer, shorter, carbon fiber, polished whatever, etc.?

btw, about the oil changes... i've yet to do one. i really hope i don't have to take this off each and every time. that would get a little annoying. and i probably would leave it off. which would really stink because i just put on a set of highway pegs last night. i would really hate to see them go.

thanks guys.

Which highway pegs and do you have a pic of them mounted?

dean owens

Elite Member
Reaction score
www.ccf-unc.org
Which highway pegs and do you have a pic of them mounted?

i have these
10845-500x600.jpg

to mount them on my engine guard you have the have the mounting brackets. here is a pick of them with the pegs attached.
10293-500x600.jpg

and an image of them on my bike.
here they are folded up at deals gap.
Picture11.png

and here are various pics in my backyard with them on.
HPIM1630.jpg

HPIM1631.jpg

HPIM1632.jpg

hope that helps.

Kriswithak

Reaction score
Visit site
Take a look at Oggy Knobs - they do something similar to what you call Frame Sliders in America, and while not being the prettiest thing will protect your engine and everything else, unless the bikes sliding along upside down. They come out a fair distance too so should stop the bike ever landing on your legs/pinning a leg and doing any damage.
Oggy Knobs also do axle armour, I have it and its meant to be worthwhile since it can stop some major damage thats very expensive to repair (thats the selling point anyway)

In the first months of having my bike I dropped it into the garden when moving it through a really tight spot. Scratch on my oggy knob, rest of my bike in 101% condition.

nudgedoink

Reaction score
Visit site
i have motovation sliders and h&b engine guards. the guards from h&b arent good tho. if u chip some of the paint off, the metal underneath rusts.