working in amsterdam

greg

UK Luchador
Reaction score
Visit site
I might be spending several months in amsterdam, what's it like over there for riding? Is it worth taking my bike over with me?

What are roads and traffic regulations like? I.e. is there many twisties and can I get away with a little bit of speeding?

cheers :thumbup:

Cloggy

Euro Mod
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I would say it would be worth it if you have somewhere to keep your bike (Amsterdam is a bit like London. One of the highest rates of crime in the Netherlands).
Holland is not great for twisties but there are several nice twisty "dike" roads.

They're pretty strict on speeding here but it wouldn't surprise me if they don't have an agreement with the UK to follow this up (send ticket to your home). Obviously getting caught by a cop you would have to pay fine on spot.

It would be great to go for a ride if you come over (as long as there's no snow on the ground of course) :thumbup:

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I would say it would be worth it if you have somewhere to keep your bike (Amsterdam is a bit like London. One of the highest rates of crime in the Netherlands).
Holland is not great for twisties but there are several nice twisty "dike" roads.

They're pretty strict on speeding here but it wouldn't surprise me if they don't have an agreement with the UK to follow this up (send ticket to your home). Obviously getting caught by a cop you would have to pay fine on spot.

It would be great to go for a ride if you come over (as long as there's no snow on the ground of course) :thumbup:

Highest crime?!?! And here I thought everyone there was enjoying beer and walking around in those funny wooden shoes! :rof:

greg

UK Luchador
Reaction score
Visit site
i'm thinking it will probably be easiest to keep it in the UK, especially since i will probably fly home every couple of weeks, and live so close to the peak district.

greg

UK Luchador
Reaction score
Visit site
welp, i'm off to amsterdam next wednesday :S

motorcycle rental doesn't look to be too expensiove, so I might be able to go for the occasional ride

i'll also be working for a company that makes sat navs, so maybe i could borrow one :D

Unseen

Reaction score
Visit site
I'm living in Amsterdam and the crime rate depends a bit on which area of the city. The center is not too bad, many people keep there (nice) bikes in the street there. My FZ6 will also be parked in front of the door and I'm right in the centre :D

I wouldn't mind to go for a spin when the weather get's nice. We can meet up with Cloggy easily as his hometown is close by :)

greg

UK Luchador
Reaction score
Visit site
yeah, lots of bmw's (maybe nobody wants to steal those? :D)

there's a few bikes parked on the road near me, including a fazer

tbh it seems to be too much hassle, especially with insurance to bring mine over. I might change my mind though once it starts to get warm

i'm living near the jordaan/leidsplein area

Last edited:

Cloggy

Euro Mod
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I'm living in Amsterdam and the crime rate depends a bit on which area of the city. The center is not too bad, many people keep there (nice) bikes in the street there. My FZ6 will also be parked in front of the door and I'm right in the centre :D

I wouldn't mind to go for a spin when the weather get's nice. We can meet up with Cloggy easily as his hometown is close by :)

That would be great to get together again :thumbup:

tbh it seems to be too much hassle, especially with insurance to bring mine over. I might change my mind though once it starts to get warm

you could always hire when the weather gets better :thumbup: here's a local (in Alkmaar) shop that hires bikes (there are 4 pages of hire bikes).

Or we could just go for a :iconbeer: :thumbup:

Unseen

Reaction score
Visit site

Is that a silver Fazer? The street where I used to live (Prinsenstraat) has a Fazer parked in it usually.

Anyways, pints is always a good idea Cloggy :thumbup:

greg

UK Luchador
Reaction score
Visit site
Is that a silver Fazer? The street where I used to live (Prinsenstraat) has a Fazer parked in it usually.

Anyways, pints is always a good idea Cloggy :thumbup:

no it's near elandsgracht i think

also seen somebody with a really nice repsol painted fireblade too :drool:

greg

UK Luchador
Reaction score
Visit site
Some people are just lucky.

I love Amsterdam. Great night life, good food, drugs and women.

it's a little bit different working here, only free time i get is at the weekend, and even then i fly home every couple of weeks

tbh my favourite thing here is my gym, as it's such a great community :D