Windscreens - what am I missing???

larryinpa

Reaction score
Visit site
I have an '07 Fz6 and love it. Last year, I put on a Puig touring windscreen (not the db) and is similar to the OEM touring screen; it's a couple of inches taller than stock.

So there should be less turbulence, right? Wrong! While there's little turbulence on my body, there is quite a bit on my head. I'm tall (6'2") so maybe there is no getting around it, but I thought I could reduce the wind. What am I missing here; is smaller better???

Roadstergal

Reaction score
Visit site
Windscreen choice may be one of the most personal things out there. What some people love, some people can't stand - kind of like Alberto Puig himself, actually.

M'self, I've found that taller windscreens cause more buffeting, especially since they create a bit of a vacuum, sucking in air towards my back; the windscreens that work best for me are on the short side, but have a little lip to create a smooth airflow over my helmet. And, to add another dimension, I'm a lot shorter than you. You might have to experiment to see what works for you.

08-FZ6

Reaction score
Visit site
I have been going back and forth on this topic myself until I went for a ride without my windscreen. Unless you have a big enough screen to block the wind completely, the lower the screen the better. I personally like the look of the screen so I am shopping around for a screen a little shorter than stock and either smoked or completely blacked out to match the bike.....Just my oppinion though.

cv_rider

Reaction score
Visit site

codeblue

winter soldier
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I have two (2) additional screens for my 2007 FZ6 besides the OEM:

OEM/Stock screen: I can definitely feel the wind blast on my torso moreso than my head. Wind noise (turbulance, whistling) towards the helmet is almost negligible. Of course that also depends on the type of helmet you wear, I notice more whistling with my Shark RSR2 versus my ICON Domain helmet. The benefit of the stock is noticeable during the warmer weather since it allows more wind, the drawback is I tire easily since I must hold harder unto the handlebar during highway speeds.

CalSci 8+ screen: I purchased this for the intention of long riding to other states or neighboring Canada Ehh. Ahhhh.... absolutely windblast towards the torso is eliminated, and NO BUFFETING. For whatever reason, the hole they placed on the screen helps eliminate the vacuum typically present on tall screens. The drawback is (could be since it's only 8+ high) some of that wind is redirected towards my helmet, so I noticed a "little" more whistling/turbulance but with very little head tuck the noise is gone. Although, I can now RELAX with my death grip on the handlebar. I also noticed that I can ride longer with the CalSci 8+ screen. As for aesthetics, well I read somewhere here that it looks like a barn door.... a medium size barn door. But, its comfort versus looks.... which one is more important to you?

Puig DB racing screen: What can I say, the look is AWESOME. Aesthetic department A++++++. A little more improvement over the stock with regards to windblast to the torso. The drawback for me is since the Puig DB height is in between the stock and the CalSci, alot more air is redirected towards my helmet. I definitely noticed an increase in whistling and turbulance on my helmet, this is remedied with a little more head tucking compared to the CalSci.

Overall, I probably won't be using the stock screen anymore. The Puig will stay on more than the CalSci despite the noise. I can live with the +/- the Puig offers over the other two screens. It's important to note that during this winter season the CalSci did offer the best protection cold wind protection, for this reason I will be switching for the CalSci for cold weather riding and long touring rides over the Puig.
BTW, thanks to forum member Squirly for the Puig DB. Excellent seller, quick and secure delivery.

blueMONday/Ares

craig007

Reaction score
Visit site
I agree with blueMonday. I have a CalSci +9.5 on a 2007. It eliminated the wind blast and most of the turbulance caused by passing trucks on the highway. I don't get much buffeting on my helmet, but it is not quiet as the air stream hits about forehead level. I still have the stock screen at home, but the CalSci is always on my bike.