Windscreen install warning

ddg

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
On my recently purchased 08 FZ6 I was getting ready to install my new Puig light smoke racing screen and ran into a hiccup. I had removed my stock screen a couple of times for cleaning purposes and everything went smooth. When I went to put on the Puig screen it had to be flexed out ever so slightly in order to line up with the holes. I inserted one of the bolts and tried to pressure it into the rubber nut mounting thingy, which pushed through and into the front fairing. After much work taking the fairing off I found it and all is good again. Except that during the process of putting everything back together another rubber thing fell through. Repeat all of above. The screen works better and looks better then stock.
And that is how a 2 minute job turns into 2 hours.

Danny

fzwing

Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Oh oh....rubber thingys into the abyss! :eek:
I've that that before on my Wing.
Thanks for the tip. I have a Puig touring coming in soon... can't wait to install it.

chuckfz6ryder

Reaction score
Visit site
Now you went and made me feel bad for not mentioning it when it happened to me:(

I bet it happened to a lot of us. Now I feel lucky it was only one. I had to rock the bike back and forth awhile before I found it.

clunk

Apprentice
Reaction score
Visit site
Happened to me too, and I did mention it in a different thread. I managed to fish one of them out and I could see but not reach the other. I ended up laying the bike on its side and rapping the fairing. I was using a power screwdriver on the first attempt and switched to a regular one for the second.

ddg

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
If a bike has to end up on its side, putting it there on purpose is the best way. I found it neat and rewarding (after the fact) taking the fairing apart. At the time I wouldn't have wanted little kids in hearing distance.

tolgatt

Goodfella
Reaction score
Visit site
i didnt have to stretch or force to line up the holes with my puig though,,,was i lucky? it lined up perfectly with the holes and was very easy to put the screws back in...

maybe packaging bends the windscreen slightly more than its supposed to be and by the time you receive it,,it stayed in the packaging too long so it has to be streched a little bit...

Thanks for the tip for the future installers!! :thumbup: