why I film while riding-even just around town

Monica A

Reaction score
Visit site
i always film with my GoPro whenever i ride, even if I'm going for a quick ride. You never know when something can go wrong!

I wished I had had a camera rolling when I was passed on the right by a cager. Did I mention he drove in the bike lane to pass me on the right? :spank:

Monica A

Reaction score
Visit site
Glad he made out of this, unless I missed it, how fast was he moving and I also feel he could of came out better if it wasn't for target fixation :)

PS.....it was only a cbr

Even if he was riding at or below the posted speed limit, he was driving too fast for the conditions (i.e.: stopped/extremly slow traffic).

David Hough in his book "Proficient Motorcycling" describes it as riding with a spotlight vs. floodlight. Is your field of vision like a spotlight - narrowly focused - or like a floodlight - flooding the entire area? That is why so many cagers hit motorcycles - they are driving with spotlights instead of floodlights.

tejkowskit

Gold Member
Reaction score
Visit site
As for the accident captured in this footage. This is what happens when you are riding much faster than the lanes around you and not scanning ahead.
100% agree. He may not have been speeding, but going that much faster than traffic is never a good idea.

I didn't like the idea of attaching the gopro to my helmet so I found a place on the bike where it shows a clear view ahead and doesn't show the speedo (I would hate to have a claim denied because I was going 5 over...).
I make sure mine doesn't show the speedo either for the same reason! Lol

PhotoAl

Reaction score
Visit site
I've used my GoPro for insurance recording for several years - fortunatly have never needed it though. Had it sitting on the seat in my car one time when an SUV deliberatly cut in front of me then hit the brakes. I had it running by that time - he had to get off and when I drove past I held it up to the passenger window - he looked at me and when realization hit it was priceless - something like oh ----. Monoprice has a less expensive camera, not sure how good it is but cheaper.

Have also put my GoPro on race bikes and cars. Get some pretty cool video that way. Had it on the back of a GSXR1000 in a race but messed up had it pointed forward - the bike took the lead on the first lap and won the race so it was pretty boring.

imatt

Not a Junior Member
Reaction score
Visit site
For an inexpensive alternative to the GoPro I decided on the Sony HDR-AS10. I bought it used off of eBay for $119. After buying the bike, then reg/insurance, then jacket, gloves, boots, helmet, rain gear; there was no budget left for a Drift or GoPro. An older Drift still goes for north of $250 used, and unless it's the latest Ghost-S model(about $325+), the low light capability is poor and super grainy. My FZ is my daily driver and I don't get out of work until after 12AM so helmet cams that do better in low light only appealed to me.

Was not a fan of Sony's idea for mounting the camera so I modified a GoPro helmet Grab Bag kit to work for my application.
4RlCrYZ.jpg

As soon as I got the camera mounted and charged I went for a ride and got clipped by a car. Weird how my first outing with the camera rolling lead to the bike getting hit.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?list=...&v=4_q4cKER8Q4&feature=player_detailpage#t=28
p.s the quality doesn't actually look this bad, I just need to find a better render output setting.

mrphotoman

Massive Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Sj1000, you can run it while plugged in, it has loop recording, waterproof case and turns on when you start your bike and of when you shut it off and has g sensor. $65

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Waterproof-Dashcam-G-Sensor-Detection-Degrees/dp/B00DTKZKQM/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1405826631&sr=8-1&keywords=sj1000"]Amazon.com : Waterproof 12MP sj1000 1080P Full HD Sports Action Camera Car Dashcam with G-Sensor Motion Detection 140 Degrees Wide Angle Lens HDMI H.264 DVR194 - White : Underwater Digital Cameras : Camera & Photo[/ame]

Very good quality

[ame]http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=QppW_0_DuiE[/ame]

Fishwiz4

Reaction score
Visit site
Contour makes nice cameras. They have dinner that are expensive and will compete with any gopro, and older models that you can get pretty cheap. I have the contour Roam. HD video. Accepts very large cards, and has a battery good for 8+ hours.

Also mounts much less awkwardly than the go pro. Closer to a "bullet" design.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk

tejkowskit

Gold Member
Reaction score
Visit site
For an inexpensive alternative to the GoPro I decided on the Sony HDR-AS10.

That looks pretty heavy. Does it make your helmet really uneven? How is it effected by wind? Does it make wind noise louder on that side or drag that size back? Very crafty alternative though! :thumbup:

bluremi

Reaction score
Visit site

johnnyg

Reaction score
Visit site
At the risk of resurrecting a zombie thread, I use a Replay XD1080 set to overwrite old files as it goes, and to turn on when there's an external power source, so I just need to plug it in when I go riding. It's got a bullet design and semi-waterproof charging cable that I run to a 12v outlet. I think I picked it up for about $200, but they have a new mini model coming out so you can probably find the older model for cheaper now...

Some footage out with a friend last Sunday: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NEXhrgO2xII