Who said it?

Cuba

Reaction score
Visit site
I read this today and found it very interesting. Who's quotes are these?

"You cannot help the poor by destroying the rich.

You cannot strengthen the weak by weakening the strong.

You cannot bring about prosperity by discouraging thrift.

You cannot lift the wage earner up by pulling the wage payer down.

You cannot further the brotherhood of man by inciting class hatred.

You cannot build character and courage by taking away people's initiative and independence.

You cannot help people permanently by doing for them, what they could and should do for themselves."

.....Abraham Lincoln :thumbup:

dark_isz

rejected liberal
Reaction score
Visit site
Actually, those are quotes from
William J. H. Boetcker - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia.

An outspoken political conservative, Rev. Boetcker is perhaps best remembered for his authorship of a pamphlet entitled The Ten Cannots. Originally published in 1916, it is often misattributed to Abraham Lincoln. The error apparently stems from a leaflet printed in 1942 by a conservative political organization called the Committee for Constitutional Government. The leaflet bore the title "Lincoln on Limitations" and contained some genuine Lincoln quotations on one side and the "Ten Cannots" on the other, with the attributions juxtaposed. The mistake of crediting Lincoln for having been the source of "The Ten Cannots" has been repeated many times since, most notably by Ronald Reagan in a speech he gave at the 1992 Republican convention in Houston.

Cuba

Reaction score
Visit site

Good find thanks. Still very good points, I think the fact that they are so widely attributed to Lincoln is interesting, here is the complete list:

You cannot help little men by tearing down big men.
You cannot lift the wage earner by pulling down the wage payer.
You cannot help the poor by destroying the rich.
You cannot establish sound security on borrowed money.
You cannot keep out of trouble by spending more than you earn.
You cannot build character and courage by destroying men's initiative and independence.
And you cannot help men permanently by doing for them what they can and should do for themselves.

Isn't it amazing how every single one of these is so incredibly relevant today??

Oscar54

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site

You cannot build character and courage by taking away people's initiative and independence.

You cannot help people permanently by doing for them, what they could and should do for themselves."

So who exactly wants to destroy the rich, weaken the strong (what ever that is suppose to mean, is it physical, financial or political?), discourage thrift, pulldown the wage payer, incite class hatred, and take away initiative and independence?

Just curious?

cv_rider

Reaction score
Visit site

:

I guess ol' Abe had some wisdom. BUT, if you are too harsh on the unfortunate, they will fall for populist BS and vote in yahoos who insist upon all of that.

Cuba

Reaction score
Visit site
So who exactly wants to destroy the rich, weaken the strong (what ever that is suppose to mean, is it physical, financial or political?), discourage thrift, pulldown the wage payer, incite class hatred, and take away initiative and independence?

Just curious?

Based on your posts, I'd say it's you.

Cuba

Reaction score
Visit site
I guess ol' Abe had some wisdom. BUT, if you are too harsh on the unfortunate, they will fall for populist BS and vote in yahoos who insist upon all of that.

That's very true. Teaching someone how to fish is very hard when they can vote someone into office that will just take those fish from us and hand them out though.

dark_isz

rejected liberal
Reaction score
Visit site
Of course Wikipedia is always correct:rolleyes:

Not that I'm saying you're incorrect.;)

If you have evidence the Wiki is incorrect, would you please post your source of said information?

I merely used the wiki source because when I googled the first line of Cuba's post:

"You cannot help the poor by destroying the rich."

The wiki article was the very first result. You can try it yourself HERE.

dark_isz

rejected liberal
Reaction score
Visit site
Bits of Wisdom From Abraham Lincoln-Fiction!

I think that MRGM simply means that anyone can update wiki.

I realize that anyone is able to edit wikipedia. Because of that fact, I always check the "sources" at the bottom of the wiki page to see if they agree with the information in the wiki article before using Wikipedia as a source. In this case, the two sources for the wiki page did agree with the wiki article. If they had not, I would not have used the wiki article as a source. I make a concerted effort to always check my sources of information before posting them as fact. I also post links to the souce I use so others may check the validity of the source for themselves.

I am delighted to see that you took the time to research the actual source of the historical quotation Cuba misattributed to Abraham Lincoln.

In the future, may I suggest that everyone do this type of research before posting inaccurate information on this forum? I believe having factual, verifiable sources of information is vital to having a valid debate.

Last edited:

Cuba

Reaction score
Visit site
I realize that anyone is able to edit wikipedia. Because of that fact, I always check the "sources" at the bottom of the wiki page to see if they agree with the information in the wiki article before using Wikipedia as a source. In this case, the two sources for the wiki page did agree with the wiki article. If they had not, I would not have used the wiki article as a source. I make a concerted effort to always check my sources of information before posting them as fact. I also post links to the souce I use so others may check the validity of the source for themselves.

I am delighted to see that you took the time to research the actual source of the historical quotation Cuba misattributed to Abraham Lincoln.

In the future, may I suggest that everyone do this type of research before posting inaccurate information on this forum? I believe having factual, verifiable sources of information is vital to having a valid debate.

So now that we're done with the wikipedia lesson of the day, let's actually focus on the quotes themselves. Do we agree with these principles, or not? I do. I really do. I also find them relevant in regards to the moves made by the current administration. I feel very strongly that you need to earn what you have, that life isn't fair, and that it isn't the federal government's role to shape our lives. That's our role. What does someone, anyone! other than the two guys going back and forth think about it?

boo68

I'm a girl dammit!
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
These are good sound principles, and they are simple.

You will destroy the desire and the motivation to meet those goals.

Show them the tools to learn how to make lives better, stronger, they will gain the will to continue growing for generations

We all must live within our means

If we bring the wage payer down, the will to learn and grow will be lost.

The opportunity is there for everyone that wants to take on the work to better themselves.

You cannot help any person by not letting them take responsibility for there own actions, life lessons are hard, but valuable.

You cannot help people permanently by doing for them, what they could and should do for themselves.
People need to learn how to make the best decision for them to get to a place in life where they will be successful

Cuba

Reaction score
Visit site
These are good sound principles, and they are simple.

You will destroy the desire and the motivation to meet those goals.

Show them the tools to learn how to make lives better, stronger, they will gain the will to continue growing for generations

We all must live within our means

If we bring the wage payer down, the will to learn and grow will be lost.

The opportunity is there for everyone that wants to take on the work to better themselves.

You cannot help any person by not letting them take responsibility for there own actions, life lessons are hard, but valuable.

You cannot help people permanently by doing for them, what they could and should do for themselves.
People need to learn how to make the best decision for them to get to a place in life where they will be successful

That is so refreshing to hear! I totally agree with your comments, it sounds a lot like the American Dream to me. I remember growing up being taught about hard work, having to earn everything you get, the principles that no one is going to do it for you, you have to take the personal responsibility in everything you do, that if you want to get ahead in life you have to fight for it, you have to sacrifice for it. There was never any talk of what we were somehow owed by the rest of the population, no expectations of handouts.

boo68

I'm a girl dammit!
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I carry around with me every day, words from my Dad.. Life is what You make it. Simple but good advice.