Which tint shield do you use?

turbo311

Icanhazkustumyoozertitle?
Reaction score
Visit site
I've been switching between clear at night and dark smoke during the day. My eyes are very sensitive to bright light so I have to. I've used the dark smoke at night and I can see well enough, but I much prefer the clear.

I'd love to not ever have to switch shields but I don't know if it's possible. Would a light smoke tint be dark enough for day and light enough for night?

Or do you just stick with the clear shield and use sunglasses?

Jblk9695

Elite Member
Reaction score
www.MachiningbyBlake.com
Personally I've gone with clear and use sunglasses, only problem is the weird colors due to the polarizing effect of the sun glass lens and the treatment of the helmet shield. I use the magnetic sunglasses that are made just for the frames I have and they don't come in a non polarized version.
You might consider a helmet with the built in tinted visor that can be retracted when not needed. Kind of an expensive method but I've heard good comments on them.

Jerry

goker

------------
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I've been switching between clear at night and dark smoke during the day. My eyes are very sensitive to bright light so I have to. I've used the dark smoke at night and I can see well enough, but I much prefer the clear.

I'd love to not ever have to switch shields but I don't know if it's possible. Would a light smoke tint be dark enough for day and light enough for night?

I have used light smoke for day and night on occasion. I don't really think light smoke is good enough during sunny days, but passable during night. I used transition lens sunglasses, but, they don't really get dark enough either (for my taste) during sunny days, not to mention getting foggy in cooler temperatures. Since I hate changing shields, I ended up with two helmets, one with clear and one with dark smoke. I carry whichever I am not wearing at the time on back of my bike.
One plus side to having two helmets all the time if you have the storage space; it allows unexpected riders to go with you on occasion as long as your helmet fits them. ;)

KenpoTex

Reaction score
Visit site
I switch between clear and smoke for night/day riding. That said, I also wear sunglasses both day and night. I have two pairs of Oakley Half-jackets, one with dark lenses for daytime riding, and one with what they call a "Persimmon" tint (kind of a pink/orange color) for night.

Why Sunglasses and the shield? If I'm just putting around town, I like to have my visor open for airflow. Also, if I'm facing the sun in the early morning or late afternoon, it's nice to have double-tint.
At night, the Persimmon tint helps increase contrast, cuts the glare from street-lights, and keeps me from getting blinded by the headlights of cars.

sxty8goats

Reaction score
Visit site
I wear sunglasses that are very light but have a slight mirror coat. Actually bought them for shield up night riding but found that they cut just enough glare and light so that they make great day time riding lenses too. I tend to ride shield up or half up if I'm under 35 MPH.

While looking into a new shield this season, I happened across a review of a Shoei Amber (sort of orange) shield that the reviewer claimed was great during night and day riding. No direct experience myself though..

turbo311

Reaction score
Visit site
I have used light smoke for day and night on occasion. I don't really think light smoke is good enough during sunny days, but passable during night. I used transition lens sunglasses, but, they don't really get dark enough either (for my taste) during sunny days, not to mention getting foggy in cooler temperatures. Since I hate changing shields, I ended up with two helmets, one with clear and one with dark smoke. I carry whichever I am not wearing at the time on back of my bike.
One plus side to having two helmets all the time if you have the storage space; it allows unexpected riders to go with you on occasion as long as your helmet fits them. ;)

I've got a new Arai on the way and only want to wear it, but I guess I could switch back and forth between it and my Scorpion if I had to, each fitted with either clear or dark.

I switch between clear and smoke for night/day riding. That said, I also wear sunglasses both day and night. I have two pairs of Oakley Half-jackets, one with dark lenses for daytime riding, and one with what they call a "Persimmon" tint (kind of a pink/orange color) for night.

Why Sunglasses and the shield? If I'm just putting around town, I like to have my visor open for airflow. Also, if I'm facing the sun in the early morning or late afternoon, it's nice to have double-tint.
At night, the Persimmon tint helps increase contrast, cuts the glare from street-lights, and keeps me from getting blinded by the headlights of cars.

Those night glasses are an interesting idea, thanks! I have Oakley Flak Jackets that I can switch the lenses.

I wear sunglasses that are very light but have a slight mirror coat. Actually bought them for shield up night riding but found that they cut just enough glare and light so that they make great day time riding lenses too. I tend to ride shield up or half up if I'm under 35 MPH.

While looking into a new shield this season, I happened across a review of a Shoei Amber (sort of orange) shield that the reviewer claimed was great during night and day riding. No direct experience myself though..

I've seen the new amber and yellow shields. Just adds more confusion to the smoke vs clear argument, lol.

champion221elite

Reaction score
Visit site
My rides typically begin in the daylight, and sometimes continue past dark.

Because of this, I use a clear faceshield lens because it lets me see the best when I'm out after dark. For the bright sun, I wear polarized sunglasses and store them in my jacket when it gets too dark.

bigdog9191999

High-tech Redneck
Reaction score
Visit site
i too switch from clear to tint shilds (keep in my tankbag, allthough a hastle being the wearer of glasses i dont have much option, but i am looking into a helmet that has the flip down tinted visor.

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site

Why Sunglasses and the shield? If I'm just putting around town, I like to have my visor open for airflow. .

Be sure to check with your local state laws, as certain states, such as Nevada will require you to have some sort of eye protection.

However, it is very nice to ride with the visor up, that's why I always wear clear safety glasses and opt for the tinted visor. I hate swapping out visors.

Stumbles06

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Here in Oz, if you use a tinted visor after the street lights come on, (about 6pm nowadays), the cops can book you for it.
I use clear for nights, and have a mirror visor for daytime, is a bit of a pain changing/carrying the spare around, but I really don't like sunglasses.. I must have an odd shaped head, never can get comfortable with sunny's on.

:rockon:

KenpoTex

Reaction score
Visit site
turbo311 said:
Those night glasses are an interesting idea, thanks! I have Oakley Flak Jackets that I can switch the lenses.
I think it's worth a try...they have a ton of different lens tints to choose from. You can get on their website to see the effect of the various lenses (what it looks like to be looking through them).

Be sure to check with your local state laws, as certain states, such as Nevada will require you to have some sort of eye protection.

However, it is very nice to ride with the visor up, that's why I always wear clear safety glasses and opt for the tinted visor. I hate swapping out visors.

I don't recall seeing anything like that in the statutes for my state. That said, Oakley lenses have one of the highest (if not THE highest) impact-resistance ratings of any glasses on the market.

Of course, even if it's not required, I'd wear them anyway...I've gotten hit by too many bugs to ride around without something protecting my eyes.

Last edited:

deeptekkie

Reaction score
Visit site
I have clear, (which I use at night), and smoke, as well as "chromed" for daytime use. I have come to love the chromed better than the smoke. It works rather well at night as well!
Like many folks, in late afternoon if I know I'm going to be out after dark I take the clear and some sunglasses.

zamolxes

Reaction score
Visit site

Well, I do not know which helmet you have but get the Scorpion EXO 1000! All problems solved!

turbo311

Reaction score
Visit site
Well, I do not know which helmet you have but get the Scorpion EXO 1000! All problems solved!

I was thinking about getting that helmet, but when I discovered how well a Shoei RF1100 and an Arai Vector fit the battle was between them, the Arai won. My Exo700 is heavy enough, the 1000 has got to be heavier. Not saying I wouldn't get it but just not right now.

I also forgot about the Pinlocks. You can get a tinted pinlock for a clear shield and have the best of both worlds I guess? Plus fool-proof anti-misting.

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I don't recall seeing anything like that in the statutes for my state. That said, Oakley lenses have one of the highest (if not THE highest) impact-resistance ratings of any glasses on the market.

Of course, even if it's not required, I'd wear them anyway...I've gotten hit by too many bugs to ride around without something protecting my eyes.

Sunglasses is considered eyewear, even windscreens as long as they are eye level or higher. Enjoy your Oakey's!

Bikebiz

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
ProGrip make a light sensitive anti-fog insert (like a pinlock but adheres to the inside). It's a transition lens so goes dark in the sun and clear at night. Sounds like this could be something to try.

I personally don't mind doing the swap when the sun goes down. Only takes 30 seconds.

turbo311

Reaction score
Visit site
ProGrip make a light sensitive anti-fog insert (like a pinlock but adheres to the inside). It's a transition lens so goes dark in the sun and clear at night. Sounds like this could be something to try.

I personally don't mind doing the swap when the sun goes down. Only takes 30 seconds.

I just fear wearing out the mechanism.

goker

------------
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site

I heard not so good things about this item (like thing coming off on your face because glue doesn't hold all that well, and not transition as much as claimed). I would research it before spending any money on it if I were you.

I just fear wearing out the mechanism.

Unless they changed something drastically on the new Arai, you are not going to like changing it all that much. :) Only thing I don't like about my helmet (Arai).

Last edited:

Bikebiz

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I've never used the ProGrip so unsure how dark they actually go......but as for wearing out the machanism you've got to be kidding me! My Corsair lasted me as a daily helmet for 5 years (and just shelved it due to the age, not worn out). Because of my commute times I had to change the visor daily. Once you get used to the mechanism it's actually the fastest changing system on the market. And as for wear, it didn't fail once. They're designed to take this kind of abuse (frequent visor changing) so I wouldn't try to preserve it at the expense of risking your visability which of course why we wear them.