which bike would you ride?

milo

Reaction score
Visit site
my little brother and me are planning a fall journey -- to the home of our musical roots. we're gonna, "pull into Nazareth (PA)..." and follow a path like this:

New Haven, CT - Nazareth, PA 172 miles
Nazareth, PA - Johnson City, TN 555 miles
Johnson City, TN - Nashville, TN 283 miles
Nashville, TN - Birmingham, AL 191 miles
Birmingham, AL - Memphis, TN 242 miles
Memphis, TN - Branson, MO 301 miles
Branson, MO - Owensboro, KY 457 miles
Owensboro, KY - Charleston, WV 354 miles
Charleston, WV - State College, PA 333 miles
State College, PA - New Haven, CT 310 miles

we might change things up a bit to spend a little more time in Nashville and Memphis. we have nothing etched in stone; except we both know we need to see Graceland, and we both want to cross the Mississippi on our bikes.

would you ride your FZ6 for the miles per day indicated above?
i am torn, as to whether or not my body is up for a trip like this on the Yamaha, or if i should take the Triumph(Bonneville America.) which, my body, i know for a fact can handle many looong days, in a row, tucked into the Corbin.

the other little pull is that my bro will be on his Honda Interceptor.

thoughts? ideas? insights?

thank you...in advance.

Depending on which roads you choose through TN you might want to stop off near Knoxville to visit the "Tail of the Dragon" on US Route 129 - also known as Deals Gap. Plan to spend a while there because if weather permits you might want to make more than one pass through. Based on your plans I don't see anything that would cause me to hesitate taking the FZ6 - but I have never ridden a "bonnie" so I don't really know your tradeoffs.

Depending on when your trip is planned day 2 might be a little long - assuming you don't like to ride at night. I'd get out my GPS or search the web to see how many hours of daylight you'll have available during your trip. I don't ride at night in unfamiliar territory if I can help it.

Which model and year is the interceptor?

Last edited:
TRIUMPH SPRINT ST!!!!!!!

it is a 1050cc machine so it is slightly larger and more comfortable than the interceptor and other mid-sized sport-tourers. but the sprint st is not so big as to be considered a large-size sport-tourer. it is still fairly small and nimble. also it has an inline triple. which means its nice and torquey which will make its slightly extra weight all but unnoticeable.

its the perfect sport-tourer for so many reasons. the interceptor is good if u do long tours from time to time but will be mainly using it as a city bike. the sprint st is a great city bike but is superb on tours.

you will love it. sit on one at a triumph dealer. i did and i waaaaaaaaaaant one. :rockon:

TRIUMPH_SPRINT_ST_1.jpg

sprint_st_blue_rhs_1024.jpg

Triumph-Sprint-ST-2005b.jpg

Triumph-Sprint-ST-2005a.jpg

Triumph-Sprint-ST-2005e.jpg

Last edited:
Give me a holler when your a few hours from nashville. I will ride down and meet with you all. I live in BG ky 1 hour north of nashville. Owensboro is not far away either.

If you like Corvettes we have the Corvette museum here. Its pretty rocking cool.

I would try to keep the days in the 300-350 mile area if it was me. I have ridden more but I end up sore after.

Okay, you got Frank Zappa as your avatar. +1,238!!!
But you want to visit Graceland?!?!? -2,387

You should stay home.
:p :p :p
;)

If you come to Memphis, contact me first. I'll give you the do's and dont's about memphis and this area. Graceland is in the worst part of town you can imagine (bring weapons, sleep with motorcycle in hotel).

If you cross the mississippi river dont take the I55 bridge on a bike if you want to live (heavy truck traffic, narrow old bridge).

Just a few fyi

As is the usual case so much depends on the rider. I would have no problem running 600 miles a day on the FZ6 and I still use the stock seat. Other riders have issues at 2 or 300 miles per day as their wrists, butt or back gives out long before they actually hit the mark. That Bonnie would be a sweet ride too so again, it just depends.

As is the usual case so much depends on the rider. I would have no problem running 600 miles a day on the FZ6 and I still use the stock seat. Other riders have issues at 2 or 300 miles per day as their wrists, butt or back gives out long before they actually hit the mark. That Bonnie would be a sweet ride too so again, it just depends.

both of us have done 600+ days. my bro has a couple of 1K+ days in the saddle. neither of us are frightened off by long days on the road. however, he is way younger than me; and has a tad more saddle stamina than i do.

i appreciate all the input so far. the America is a great distance machine...it knows some of the best roads in North GA, NC, and TN...any of you GA boys know wolf pen gap?

as far as a Zappa fan needing to see Graceland? well, it's just one of those things. next to motorcycles; music is like breath and blood.

please, keep the thoughts coming.

Back