Where to tap into a circuit switched to the ignition

SteveL

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi everyone,

I picked up a set of Oxford heated hand grips the other day, and they're great - warm and comfortable.

The instructions say to connect them directly to the battery, and they they will automatically switch off when the voltage drops below 11.5 V

However, I tried this yesterday (leaving my bike parked at the top of a hill) and found that they were still switched on 30 mins later.

So my question is, where is a safe place to connect these (and other electrical devices) so they will be switched off when the ignition is switched off? Is it possible to do this without cutting any wires? How can I ensure I don't overload whichever circuit I use? These grips apparently draw 4 amps total.

Thanks,
Steve

H

HavBlue

If this were me and I were looking to set up accessory power for the unknown possibilities of future needs I would be using a relay triggered off the ignition source that would allow use of a power distribution block, This way the load would be carried by the battery and have zero effect on the bikes primary systems.

pedwards89

Reaction score
Visit site
There's a thread on here somewhere about setting up an accessory dis board through a relay. The recomendation is to take the switched feed for the relay from the number plate illumination light. The theory being if anything does go tits-up it's only the number plate light that blows.

When I did this mod, I chose the feed to one of the front side lights, same principle really.

GConn

Squid hater
Reaction score
Visit site
If you still want to get to the ignition wire I remember finding a suitable wire under the side pod, next to the seat (brake lever side of the bike) when I was installing the alarm. Have a look at the fusebox and you;ll figure it out.

The suggestion of the headlights sounds better to me (never thought about it until now...).

SteveL

Reaction score
Visit site
guys, thanks for all the replies - good suggestions all.

I'll probably go with the number plate light option, which sounds the safest in case things do go tits-up.

H

HavBlue

guys, thanks for all the replies - good suggestions all.

I'll probably go with the number plate light option, which sounds the safest in case things do go tits-up.

I'd go with the one that uses the least amount of wire on the feed side. I would also build my own harness and I would be using solder. heat shrink and auto-loom.

driver145

Reaction score
Visit site
Under the tank, on top of the battery, there are four slot connector openings. I know at least one is not switched and at least one is. The one that is switched has connectors already in it, but I found there was sufficient room to shove two more smaller slot connector tabs in there. This is how I hooked up my Radar Detector. No cutting whatsoever and completely reversible. Here is a video of the switched RD working:

[ame="http://youtube.com/watch?v=NpmhxSQuwws"]YouTube - RD on FZ6[/ame]

gomd3

Reaction score
Visit site
easiest is the driving lights that go on the turn signal. courtisy lamps I guess it'd be, plus it's up in the front where it's easy to get to.

SteveL

Reaction score
Visit site
Driver 145, I have the 2004 model which has a digital tacho, and I watched your video with the sound off.

So at first I thought you started the engine then revved it to the redline - twice! Tell me it's not so.......

vduboy

Reaction score
Visit site
hey from oz and just installed heated grips on the fizzer and used a terminal off the starter solenoid under the tank easy to get to also..

SteveL

Reaction score
Visit site
hey from oz and just installed heated grips on the fizzer and used a terminal off the starter solenoid under the tank easy to get to also..

I never actually got around to hooking mine up properly - I just unplug the quick connector when I'm not using them, since I only really use them on long trips when it's cold.

But your suggestion sounds good - can you post pics if you get a chance?

Fred

M em b er e d
Reaction score
www.robietech.com
Inside the frame on the left hand side you'll find two electrical connectors for the ignition switch.

One of these has a red wire and a brown wire with a blue stripe. (I think this is right. The manual shows it as Br/L which I believe means Brown/bLue stripe)

The Red wire is hot all the time. The Brown/Blue wire only has power when the key is on.

You can also tap into this same wire at the fuse box inside the right hand sidepod, as that's where it goes.

If you're planning on running a large number of gadgets off of switched power, I recommend adding a relay. If you just want to run an Ipod or radar detector, you should be able to draw power directly. But don't forget to add a fuse as close as possible to where you tapped this wire.

Keep in mind that if this wire is cut or disconnected, your bike won't run.

Hope this helps.

Fred