Where do you ride in relation to another biker in front of you?

Twigs

Bad Girl
Reaction score
Visit site
I ride just to 'his' right so 'he' knows that I'm there and can see me either in his mirror or my bike at least on 'his' shoulder check.

This is why I have asked:

I was travelling home on Friday night, 5.30pm so pitch black but for street lights and a bike pulled onto the roundabout behind me and followed me up the by-pass. Every bit of the way, 'he' travelled in my wake; 'his' front wheel must have followed in the tread of my back wheel because 'he' was completely in by blind spot. I knew 'he' was there but I couldn't see 'him' in my mirrors or over my shoulder. Fortunately, I could hear 'him' when we filtered at the lights but that was all.

Obviously, I didn't know who it was and so wasn't sure that 'he' wasn't a risk taker and it's hard enough trying to keep out of trouble with cars without having to second guess the rider you can't see behind you!

So just to say, if you are riding behind someone, please make sure you are visible to them at all times; ride to their side, not immediately behind them and leave plenty of room for their errors (stay well back).

Fortunately, I left 'him' about 4 miles from home and the rest of my ride was congested (filtering) but hassle-free.

:cheer:I know, it might have been a she! :cheer:

C-bus Biker

Reaction score
Visit site
I ride on whichever side the other rider is not on. If he/she is right down the middle, I'll usually fade right. Never directly behind though. Not safe at all.

deeptekkie

Reaction score
Visit site
Usually with him in my mirrors, getting smaller and smaller. Seriously,
usually with him in my mirrors, getting smaller and smaller!
I too try to stay slightly over to his right so I'm visible in his mirrors.
(Never in his propwash!)

CanadianFZ6

Reaction score
Visit site
You ride staggered to any rider in front of you... Serves a couple of purposes... First, clear view ahead, second, less risk of a rear ender if an emergency maneuver is required.

ant_mb

Super *********
Reaction score
Visit site
Staggered of course.

Here's a pic I took from last years Mt Washington trip. I think it illustrates it pretty well.

attachment.php

Kazza

Administrator aka Mrs Prebstar
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I ride on whichever side the other rider is not on. If he/she is right down the middle, I'll usually fade right. Never directly behind though. Not safe at all.
Same here. Make sure traffic on both sides of the road knows there is more than one bike there.

Stay safe guys...

necrotimus

Stop looking at my title!
Reaction score
Visit site
Road and traffic conditions along with inputs from the rider in front of you should dictate where you ride. Typically staggered is the best option but be careful you don't look to far ahead of the rider and start following too close. If conditions are bad or you get the feeling the rider in front of you isn't very confident than you definetly want to back off. I disagree that following directly behind a rider is unsafe as long as you keep an appropriate following distance. If you are staggered then typically you are following closer and you may end up in the other riders path during braking and avoidance. Just use your best judgement.

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
You ride staggered to any rider in front of you... Serves a couple of purposes... First, clear view ahead, second, less risk of a rear ender if an emergency maneuver is required.

+ 1 :thumbup:

Also, in the event that you need to pass when you are on a multi-lane road, pass in a separate lane. Don't pass in the same lane even if the rider is towards the left or right portion of the lane.