Where can you get new keys???

04efi

Reaction score
Visit site
Hey guys I went down to our local key god and asked him to make me a copy due to bending one of my spare keys. He told me he cannot do my motorcycle, so i left. I dunno if wal -mart will have them or not and right now its a little ways away to go there. So where have you guys gotten your keys and had them keyed to your bike at????

cp04

Dunder Mifflin Employee
Reaction score
Visit site
I tried Wal-Mart and didn't have any luck. The only thing I can recommend is to call around to different locksmiths which is what I did.

Boneman

Instructor
Elite Member
Reaction score
www.bonemanfz6.com
Dealership? When I bought my bike new it came with 2 keys and a little metal tag that has a number on it. I believe you need this tag if you ever loose your keys and need new ones cut/ordered.

I know I've seen Yamaha FZ6 key 'blanks' for sale on eBay. Not sure if that helps getting one of those, then taking it to a key cutter?

04efi

Reaction score
Visit site
Mine never had a tag on it... I'm guessing even with the blanks do you think walmart could copy my good key to make more??

bmccrary

Touring Mod
Reaction score
Visit site
Walmart can do it! Tell them to use a GM blank key. I think a number 3 or something. Not sure. But I got a couple cut at walmart the other day. Lowes wouldnt do it, but walmart would. Next door to each other using the same machine.

-bryan

mookieaz

Reaction score
Visit site
I bought my bike used and the original owner only gave me one key. I bent the key some dumb way (don't even remember) and It wouldn't fit into the ignition cylinder. Dealership machine was broken. I bought a blank on ebay but lowe's and home depot couldn't cut it. All of my local locksmith/keyshops couldn't do it either. Called around and finally found a place about 20 miles away that said they could "copy any key". And copy it they did, after pounding it back to flat.
Just keep calling around and good luck.
Mike

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
When they say they can't make a copy of a motorcycle key, look at them puzzled and tell them its the lockout key on your electric piano. Tell them Yamaha makes musical instruments! Actually they did before they ever made bikes. I did that at home depot and the guy cut me a key....Hahaha! :Flip: :rockon:

That sort of wrong anyway. I can get keys made all day long for my car....

08fz6

Make no excuses!
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
as a dealer we used to order them i think they were around $20 a piece.... A blank is usually the biggest thing but if you have that number, I thought it was at the base of the key as well and they can get you one....

Tailgate

Reaction score
Visit site
I ordered a blank Yamaha key off ebay. Then, took it to the local Ace Hardware to get copied off my original key. Guy asked how much I paid and stuff and said he couldn't guarantee anything. I said, FINE, I understand (not really, WTF, what's so special about about a motorcycle key--I mean, I have the blank???). Anyway, it works GREAT! Why are people paranoid about copying a blank Yamaha key. Is this a federal felony offense or something? I don't get it.