Wheelies at the track? Banned!

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I was at this track on Father's Day and watched some Group 3 guys (perpetrator was in Group 2 on a different day) go through that same section of the track and did not see a single one lift his wheel. The instructor I was with (I was riding Group 1) said they were coming out of that area at over 125mph. Perhaps if the rider had more skill he would have carried more speed through the corner and not need to hammer the throttle upon exit? :confused:
Not possible. As soon as you can put power down.. you put it down. [emoji12]

2nd childhood

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
i am not defending his wheelies. You are right, it is possible to go easy on the gas and the front end will not lift. Perhaps this was his first track day, most of normal riders including me won't excel at cornering right from the bat. Takes a while to build the confidence you need while cornering to really lean it enough to keep speeding in corners.

But i mean, getting kicked out of a track day because you lift less than 2 inch?
This might be his fun to go hard on the throttle. I personally like acceleration better than speed, a track day should be a pretty good place for that.

He really didn't get banned for wheelies so much as defending his wheelies and (from what I understand) getting argumentative with the new track manager. I'm sure there's enough "blame" to go around here, as is the case in most situations like this. It's too bad as the track itself is kinda nice (although I'll admit I have nothing to compare it to) and the organization that was holding the classes (OPRT) were not the ones to ban him, but rather the management.

nivag

Reaction score
Visit site
Thought some of you might like this short video from the British Superbike race at Cadwell Park last year, it has a section called the Mountain :D
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=33r-GQ23s2s"]British Superbike 2013, the Cadwell Park jump - YouTube[/ame]