Whats your mpg?

Epic Ed

Reaction score
Visit site
I'm averaging between 48-52. I weigh 220 and the bike has about 1800 miles on it. I commute everyday about 24 miles, most of it highway, and I ride pretty conservatively -- except when trying to race home to avoid getting caught in one of our notorious summer storms.

Ed

Hollow

Happy Thankful Member
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I agree with what everyone has said about it being a short commute and the bike hasn't had a chance to warm up.

What I'd like to add, though, is that when the fuel gauge gets to the last bar, you're probably only going to be able to put in about 3.5 gallons or so. With that calculation, you're getting better than 30 MPG. Still not great, but much better than 23.
:thumbup: LoL I must say your good I filled up this morning this time sitting on the bike keeping it upright. I put exactly 3.8 gals in it filling it to the top ring.

Hollow

Happy Thankful Member
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I prefer to get off the bike to fill it in case of a fuel spill. I have had race gas spill out of my tank, dirtbike, once and it ran down the center of my jeans and legs. I finished the race before I stopped to take off the gear. I can still remember the feeling on that gas soaking into my skin...

Bad day.

-bryan
Thanks for the suggestion. I will start putting mine on the center stand also. I didn't think about that. Also I don't really like sitting stopped on the bike I am in a very vunerable postion especially when I am filling the tank up.

CCHOUSEKY

Kentucky Wildcat Fanatic
Reaction score
Visit site
I just filled up today, one bar showing, and I put in 3.6 gallons with 185.3 miles on the tripmeter. That averages out to 51.3 miles per gallon. I'm pretty darned happy with that! I'm 6', 235 lbs and all of the riding on this tank was commuting 30 miles, one way to work (so 60 miles round trip).

The last tank, which included a 130 mile afternoon ride through the twisties (spirited riding, not babying it), came in at 52.4 miles per gallon. And this great mileage includes my Givi V46 topcase on the back.

Overall, I'm extremely pleased with the fuel economy of my FZ6!

karmageddon14

only you can stop winter
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
first fill up after buying my '06 15 days ago, worked out to 48 mpg (US gallons). and it looks like the second fill up is going to be better b/c i think my riding skills are getting better...

colobb

Reaction score
Visit site
Typically fill up around the 230+ mile mark with in the region of 4.1-4.2 US gallons, so I usually get about 55 mpg. Commute is 29 miles each way. I'm 6' and something like 195 lbs, and I'm at around 7000' above sea level <- does altitude make a difference?

bigdog9191999

High-tech Redneck
Reaction score
Visit site
wow i think mine is about average.. just go the bike (it is an 07' with 3,000 miles), so still getting used to it and so far i get about 42 - 44 i dont babie it (most shifts at 4-6,000 with bilps to about 10-11,000 and only the rare 14,000) and that was mix country/highway i cruise on the back roads about 65 and 70-85 on the highway with me and about half with the wife on, and i am 6'3' a stocky-ish 320 lbs and she is about 130 ish. i think if i take it easy for a take i will get close or top 50

i have to get used to the rpm's yet.. both my old bikes (03' honda 919, 05' triumph tiger) had much more bottom end and topped at 10 - 10.5 rpm, so i feel like i am screaming this thing all the time ( old bikes wehre about 3k at 60 and this sits about 5k).

KindredGhost

Reaction score
Visit site
Heya Fellas,
I'm a big dude... I'm at about 230 give or take. F-trip turns on at about 200 miles even... and I have a scorpion exhaust. Stock otherwise. I average between 38mpg (driving like an a-hole), and 55 mpg (rather conservatively). In my average week I get around 50mpg.

I'm no mechanic, but I'm sure everyones mileage will vary due to Altitude as well.

KG

Bill3508

Reaction score
Visit site
I'm holding at 45 mpg. 15 minute run to work, and besides that 90% stop and go town riding. My weight is 150 and a ride it like a scooter. I guess on short trips thats as good as its going to get.

Bill3508

Norm

Senior FZ6 Advisor
Reaction score
Visit site
I'm holding at 45 mpg. 15 minute run to work, and besides that 90% stop and go town riding. My weight is 150 and a ride it like a scooter. I guess on short trips thats as good as its going to get.

Bill3508

Ditto about riding it like a scooter, since I just came off a scooter. I do mostly highway and back roads, not much stop and go. Weight is 150 and at 600 miles on the odometer I'm averaging 47 MPG.

mdr

Reaction score
Visit site
:thumbup: LoL I must say your good I filled up this morning this time sitting on the bike keeping it upright. I put exactly 3.8 gals in it filling it to the top ring.

I've got lots of gas receipts for over 4.0 gal. Depends alot on how far into the f-trip you push it before filling.

Hotei

ender

ohfive
Reaction score
Visit site
53 mpg on my last fill up. Center vs. side stand will be different, for an accurate measure do it the same way 2 or 3 times (ie. side stand untill the gas laps the center hole) and divide miles on the trip odo. by the gallons. I am 6'2" and 185#. Mileage continues to improve ('05 w/ 3,000 miles)!:thumbup:

abacall

Speedy recovery
Reaction score
Visit site
I usually go 200 miles before a fill-up (3.5-4 gal). That works out to 50-57 mpg. I promise, I don't putt around either. I make sure to wring her out at least twice a day, I usually shift at 6-7K RPM, live at 5,500 ft, average 10-15 mile commutes, 5'10", 150#, 2004 w/10k on the clock.
I've gotten less than 50 twice, on long very spirited canyon drives.

marke14

running on empty
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I get between 36 riding it really hard or around the city, and recently over 60 mpg if the spedometer is to be trusted, out on a long trip. I think I figured it at close to 65 MPG for one fill up!

I've only had it down to the "reserve" (fuel tripmeter comes on) twice. I usually fill up around 150 or 175 miles at most, but then again I'm only putting 2-3 gallons in at a time.

multiplicity

Reaction score
Visit site
I'm about the same as you and I get roughly the same. I only use the bike to commute so its all stop,go riding. I'm reallty jelous ao everyone who gets above 30 mpg - especially when you see the price of petrol (gas) here in London, UK !!!

paul1149

Riding with the King
Reaction score
Visit site
I'm 185# and I've been keeping careful records of fuel consumption on my '08 fz6. It started off pretty low, but around 1000M it picked up. I now very seldom get less than 50 mpg, and my average is a good 52. I do a variety of driving, but not much stop and go, and I'm not a high-revver.

I'm also comparing brands. I've pretty much found them about equal, with one possible exception being an off-brand (not enough tries to know if it was a quirk). I currently use a no-name which is the cheapest in the area ($3.83 last I checked), and get good results from it. The owners didn't even think it had ethanol in it, which would be great AFAIC, but I'm not sure that's reliable. Be well. -p.

ChromeX

Reaction score
Visit site
I was real happy getting 52-58 conservative on the Hwy. Then I installed my speedo healer and the real mpg same conditions is 46-49.

IPilot

Reaction score
Visit site
Well, I just have a little bit over 1200 miles on my bike, so is not giving me such a good mileage per gallon yet. I always have the exact mileage per gallon when I fill it up, and I am a commuter rider most of the time; a lot of stops and lights. I am getting aound 38 MPG in average. The other day, I took a short 300 miles raodtrip and most of it was on the highway; I got around 48 MPG that day. I think it all depends on how you ride and what the conditions are while you are riding. Also, as many people have said, we need to wait til our bikes get out of the break in period... It will get better....