What Top Box for a FZ6 2005

cambjones

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi all, I am new to the form and just purchased my FZ6N on Sunday.

I have started to look around for a good Top Box that an hold two helmets (or two riders jackets with armour)

Any recommendations out there?

I am a little concerned that at 47 litre one might be too large, does it make it more difficult to filter in London traffic... and thoughts?

Do you need to have them put on by the bike shop or is it a DIY?

Thanks all!

The most obvious mod is to replace the factory pipe... they are sooooo quiet and high pitched.

mukulu

Reaction score
Visit site
Hello mate,
I have the E52 Maxia. I dont think its too big, and I filter through the london traffic with no problems at all.
I fitted it myself too, and wasnt that hard.
Welcome to the forum.

Jonathan

Reaction score
Visit site
I have the shad 40 Liter top box. Just installed it this past weekend and it's working great so far. It took about a half hour to install but it was easy.

von_trippenhopf

Reaction score
Visit site
I attached a top box for my week in France, I gotta say personally I don't like them much because they look big & bulky on the bike, but it was very useful to have somewhere to lock away my helmet while doing the tourist thing.

cambjones

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks all for the replies...!

I attached a top box for my week in France, I gotta say personally I don't like them much because they look big & bulky on the bike, but it was very useful to have somewhere to lock away my helmet while doing the tourist thing.

Hey von_trippenhopf, I have a few questions for you
What brand is yours
where did you get it from
how much was it
How many litres is it

There seems to be a wide range of prices... the Givi seems to be £200 (box) + £100 (frame).... seems ridiculously expensive???

I am sure there is a quality element here.. ie how secure is it, how well does the lock work, is it stable

Cheers

sonic

Reaction score
Visit site
I use a shad SH-29 scooter case for daily runnings and throw on some nelson riggs saddle bags when I need extra space. The case holds my helmet and gloves just fine when parked, holds by book bag going to school and can tote a fair amount of groceries.

uclajoebruin

Reaction score
Visit site
I found that fitting two helmets can be difficult with a top box less than 40L in capacity (depending on the helmet sizes).

I'd recommend the Givi E360, E460, V46.

neos

Intermediate rider
Reaction score
www.facebook.com
Hi there,

I have a standard 44L Yamaha (manufactured by Givi) on a standard Yamaha rack that easily screws onto the passenger handlebars. For me, it works well for everyday commuting in Central London and can fit two full face helmets. I also rode to Portugal and back in early April. Although the manufacturer warns the max payload should not exceed 5kg and speed should not be above 120km/h I can tell you that it all held together well with a load exceeding 20kg and ridding above 150km/h.

Good luck!

von_trippenhopf

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks all for the replies...!

Hey von_trippenhopf, I have a few questions for you
What brand is yours
where did you get it from
how much was it
How many litres is it

The box is approx 40 litres but I got it from a mate who had it on his TDM 850.
You can just get two lids in it.
The rack is a genuine Yamaha job which I got on E-bay for £18. It's worth keeping an eye on e-bay as they come up at a decent price quite regularly.
I had to convert the rack as the fittings on the base weren't compatible with the box (typical!).
Cheap & cheerful but does the job!

expatmanxman

Reaction score
Visit site
If you go for a Givi rack get the M11 plate, it looks much better than the horrible ugly flat plate when you don't have the box on.
Make sure you try your lids in the case, not every box is the right shape to get two lids in and even the helmets you have can make a difference, some helmets are longer, when I put my wife's Shoei in my Shark doesn't fit but my Arai does!

FZ6_Dude

FZ6 Corner Carver
Reaction score
Visit site
i went with the shad sh46L topcase and rack all in all cost me 311$ shipped to my door for the case and the rack and all hardware... cant beat it... it fits two helmets and a jacket gloves nicely...