What too buy....

Jugro

Reaction score
Visit site
Oh my, need too get in here more...

My lovely and worn FZ6 is parked comfortably in a garage in the Faroe Islands without a license plate, and I've got an itch to add a second bike to the garage.

So the question is which is better, a 06 SV1000N or a 06 FZ1-S???

JoeSTL

Reaction score
Visit site
If you were replacing the FZ6, I'd say get the FZ1. However, if you're planning on keeping both bikes, I think there's nothing wrong with a little diversity in your garage...

Jugro

Reaction score
Visit site
Oh I'm keeping the FZ6, she's my little baby and having done almost 100.000 km, she probably isn't going to fetch anything that would make me consider getting rid of her.

FIZZER6

The Angry Blue Mantis
Reaction score
Visit site
The SV1000 is a very good buy and a lot of fun. I love the I-4 redline and powerband but low end torque and not having to downshift so much is also nice. :thumbup:

Baci

Reaction score
Visit site
I second what others have already said. Add the v-twin to your line up, having that will be such a fun change to swap from a inline four to that and back.

Baci

Reaction score
Visit site
F that, get a triple!!!!

I figured with the two bikes he was considering a Triumph was out of the question!
speed tripple, tiger, 675r......yes please!:rockon:

Jugro

Reaction score
Visit site
The reason the choice is between the two bikes is that I can get them for around the same amount it would cost to get my FZ6 registered on Faroese plates :)

Next bike in the garage would probably be a Triumph, but that'll be in a few years.

Lefty

Quis, mihi fatigo?
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
FZ6 = Trackbike

Wait for Motogiro to chime in as he's got an SV1000 which sounds awesome. :BLAA:

However I don't think the gas mileage on the SV is as good as an FZ1 but Cliff can correct me if I'm wrong. :spank: I'm not sure about the differences in the ergonomics of the two bikes....

dxh24

Ambitious But Rubbish
Reaction score
Visit site
Think Cliff will prolly say the SV and Eric will say FZ-1... Just a guess ;) it's a decision ill end up facing in the future I bet. I4's are fun as heck to keep in the upper range but I've found that the low end torque a twin provides is great for commuting and traffic situations. Both engine types are awesome fun.

Triumph tiger xc could be some fun, or a sprint ST :D

Hard to go wrong with either of your choices though!

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
All depending on the year SV1000 you buy and what service has been done to it, like all bikes they have there quirks. Older SV's were known to get an engine knock and there were fixes for it including some type of bearing assembly installed in the case. They don't like Mobile1. I've researched it and found other SV owners have the same complaint. I've used it in mine and it some how seems to churn up and get a little foam when I push the motor hard. The Motul doesn't do it. The clutch baskets are generally noisy when sitting at a light and there are fixes for that. The way it makes power is different and fun. How weight is situated with the motor is also different than an inline 4. Suzuki dropped the forks through the triples about 3-4 mm to make the turn in more aggressive. I was lucky to find a brand new one in 2010. They stopped making them in 2007. It's been making me smile for 3 years. It's not the best body position for long rides and I think if I was going to do longer riding the FZ1 would be great.

Obviously the FZ1 is a great bike and I would have no problem owning one. :)