What is this pipe?

philz

Reaction score
Visit site
Was replacing my clutch cable the other day and noticed this pipe had a load of black tape over the end. Anyone know what it is?

fz.jpg

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Was replacing my clutch cable the other day and noticed this pipe had a load of black tape over the end. Anyone know what it is?

fz.jpg
It looks like one of the throttle body sync hoses. The brass valve and tube probably belonged to the original owners Manometer. The OE tubes just have a plastic blank in them.
What's under the tape?

Neil

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I believe Neils right...

To the front of the bike (under the TB's) that hose (and there should be another one, I believe which has a white line on it) that hose is stock for syncing the throttle bodies... The hose, when NOT IN USE, has a black plastic, slender plug that goes in the hose to plug it off..

Looks like whoever did it last, lost the plastic plug for the hose and left his adapter, with some hose and tried to tape it off to prevent a vacuum leak...

IMHO, I would place a short bolt, with a shoulder, (until the correct plug is obtained). You don't want that leaking... (The shoulder helps seal the hose so air doesn't just run around the threads)..

Last edited:

tyler2011

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I agree that it looks like the throttle body sync hose. It looks like the second hose with the pink band is directly under the one with the brass fitting on it. There is also what looks to be the plastic plug on the end of it but can only see like half of it. If I remember correctly you might be able to cut one of the existing plugs in half with a knife or dremel but it will make pulling them out for the sync a bit harder.

philz

Reaction score
Visit site
Under the tape is a piece of electrical wire, hence why I wondered what the pipe was as it was just cut off.

Thanks for the help :)

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
It looks like the remains of a scottoiler connection like mine.

Hux's Bike Blog: Give me a lever, oil me up, and I'm happy. Last picture on that page circled in yellow.

Maybe a previous owner kept the scottoiler end and taped up this bit?

Sure looks like that's exactly what its from!!

BTW, how well does the Scottoiler work, IE: even oiling (has the chain developed any tight/ loose spots)? Also, what type of oil do you use and what about throw off oiling on the wheel?

Thanks, Scott

huxy

Reaction score
Visit site
Scottoiler works a treat. I've done about 16,000 miles on the chain/sprockets and both are still looking good.

It's a bit fiddly setting it up the first time as you have to adjust the flow rate so it's fast enough to drip 1 drop /min or so, but not so fast that it pours all over you garage floor/parking spot when you stop. I prime it at the start of the year and top up the lube tube (it has a flexible reservoir under the seat to extend the range) and then pretty much forget about it till the next year. You fill it with scottoil (branded) stuff which is really thick stuff so it doesn't fly straight off the chain (although the back of the numberplate takes a bit of a hammering.... maybe I'm going too fast :) )

I'd recommend them. Less time oiling the chain manually and more time riding. What's not to like.