Go Naked- Its liberating
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Hi Folks, just bought a s/hand grab rail from Puttin Along
Thanks Noah

anyway I think its made from aluminium or a heavy plastic or polycarbomnate compound, anyone know for sure?

I've teed up someone to hit it with paint and I think I'll undertake the prep work sanding out the scuffs etc, but should I take it back to bare metal if thats what it is?

Its about 35 years since I prepped anything for painting so any/all advice is welcome

I'd like to be sure that its has etch primer, if that still exists, and as its the grab rail and I'm gonna be swinging my leg over, should i be getting two pack clear over the colour, so many questions

thanks if you can offer me any knowledge

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I know its not aluminum, either plastic or something similar to it.

A good scruffing (or etching) for the paint to adhere to should do it. As long as the original paint is stuck good to it, it should be good for a base..

Be forwarned, I do have a commercial spray gun, painted one car(74 Camaro) and two entire MC's in my lifetime, so painting is NOT my forte. Rattle can, not bad.

If you can set up a "paint booth" of some sort, it'd help keep the dust landing in your part to a minimum. Or drop off a pint of paint with the part at an auto painting shop..

Good luck!

Cloggy

Euro Mod
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I recently removed my back rack (euro model which was attached to the grab rails) as it began to slide back and forward even though it is tightened up, (I'm planning on adding grip tape and reattaching it). Well the grab rails are now showing the black plastic under the paint at several (pressure) points.

Exactly what type of plastic it is I don't know, good luck with the paint work Adrian :thumbup:

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I recently removed my back rack (euro model which was attached to the grab rails) as it began to slide back and forward even though it is tightened up, (I'm planning on adding grip tape and reattaching it). Well the grab rails are now showing the black plastic under the paint at several (pressure) points.

Exactly what type of plastic it is I don't know, good luck with the paint work Adrian :thumbup:

I have the same rack I ordered from Europe years ago. I put some 3M clear tape over the rails before bolting it down and so far, it hasn't worn thru.

I use this clear, VERY sticky, VERY DURABLE tape now (can't get that 3m anymore) which is much more durable;

ISC Helicopter-OG-HD Surface Guard Tape at FindTape.com

Not worth it for a small piece I guess.

(There's an 1/8" aluminum plate trimmed to fit and drilled for bungee cords)

Back to the thread, end of de-rail... :thumbup:

Last edited:

agf

Go Naked- Its liberating
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
ThanksScott and Martin i figure its naybe a compuond plastic but it sure felt like it was heavier just a preconceived notion i guess
Gonna go down the road of a pro painter for a colour match and application expertise
The guy i spoke with has rep for his colour matching expertise and i cant find my Yamaha yellow paint number anywhere

my iPhone post using Tapatalk - sorry for any shpillong mishtooks i has fat fingies

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
ThanksScott and Martin i figure its naybe a compuond plastic but it sure felt like it was heavier just a preconceived notion i guess
Gonna go down the road of a pro painter for a colour match and application expertise
The guy i spoke with has rep for his colour matching expertise and i cant find my Yamaha yellow paint number anywhere

my iPhone post using Tapatalk - sorry for any shpillong mishtooks i has fat fingies

That would definitly get you the best results...

Maverickv46

Reaction score
Visit site
I was going to powder coat mine a few months ago when I got my big oven built, so I threw the grab handle in the sandblaster and was shocked to see no metal coming through. It is a fiber reinforced plastic, very hard. Instead of powdering it since I am not sure of the melting point, I rattle canned and cleared it and it is holding up great.