What is the best Handle Bar Mod?

B4sok

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi Guys,
was thinking of changing the standard bars on my 04 fz6. What are the options? Thanks in advance.

RIDE IT LIKE YOU STOLE IT

ticktock

Reaction score
Visit site
A pretty popular mod is to replace the stock FZ6 bars with FZ1 bars.

The FZ1 bars are a bit straighter and wider, alleviating the "pinching" that occurs on some people's wrists on the FZ6.

gpostarmy

Reaction score
Visit site
I have the fz1 bars on my 05. I am 6'2" so the stock bars were not really that comfortable for me. I love the FZ1 bars, might just be me, but i feel like the bike became more responsive to my input after the change. can put pics up if you would like to see just PM me.

CCHOUSEKY

Kentucky Wildcat Fanatic
Reaction score
Visit site
I've had the stock bars, the FZ1 bars, and now the Suburban Machinery bars, so I might be able to give you a little info.

I hated the stock bars. They put my wrists at a very odd angle and were just flat uncomfortable.

The FZ1 bars are great. They do put your body position just a bit more forward and down, but the feedback from the bike is great and they make you feel like you're IN the bike, not just on it. And for less than $40, they're a great deal.

I was able to pick up the Suburban bars for cheaper than MSRP from another member here. They aren't cheap new (around $150?), but they're great too and I've yet to change them out and go back to the FZ1 bars (they've been on my bike for a year now). The position is slightly lower and more forward than stock, but not as much as the FZ1 bars.

The advantage of both the FZ1 bars and the SM bars is that they both have the inserts in the ends that accept the stock FZ6 bar ends. I've got bar end mirrors now (mine's naked), but the aftermarket bar ends I've got are made for the FZ6 and screw right in as well.

Some comparison pictures:

FZ1 vs. Stock (FZ1 is flat and has less pullback)

IMG_1177.jpg

Suburban Machinery bars (blue bike) vs. the FZ1 bars (silver bike). Note, neither of these are my bike, but these are good for comparison.

user5196_pic1883_1227560180.jpg

user4924_pic2624_1235334543.jpg

GTPAddict

Just a dude with an FZ6
Reaction score
theblattners.com
I have the FZ1 bars and love them. They were on it when I bought it, but after sitting on an FZ6 with the stock bars, they just feel strange and uncomfortable. If I were to get another FZ6, it would get FZ1 bars as the second mod (after the dual headlight mod)

Sawblade

Hopped up on Mountain Dew
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Also, Rizoma bars are a good in-between from the FZ6 and FZ1 bars.

rizomabar.jpg

OneTrack

Reaction score
Visit site
I didn't want too much of a change with my standard FZ6 bar height, so I went with the FZ6R bars. They are the same height, but angle forward at the ends by about 1" compared to the original FZ6 bars. Made a world of difference, no more wrist and finger cramps and they have a much more natural hand and wrist position. Everything swaps over perfectly.

chomorro

Reaction score
Visit site
I didn't want too much of a change with my standard FZ6 bar height, so I went with the FZ6R bars. They are the same height, but angle forward at the ends by about 1" compared to the original FZ6 bars. Made a world of difference, no more wrist and finger cramps and they have a much more natural hand and wrist position. Everything swaps over perfectly.

How do these compare to the fz1 bars comfort??

Zargof

MSF Instructor
Reaction score
Visit site
OneTrack can you take a picture with the fz6r bar next to the stock bars similar to how CCHOUSEKY did? I have made several adjustments to the stock setup and I am still getting cramps, so i am trying to decide with bars will eliminate this.

rkrone

Reaction score
Visit site
are you looking to move it up/closer?
I just put on handlebar risers and they have made it much more comfortable.

CCHOUSEKY

Kentucky Wildcat Fanatic
Reaction score
Visit site
So would the ultimate combo be the SW motech riser and FZ1 bar for comfort?

I had this setup for a while (when I was doing more commuting than sport riding) and it was great. If you're gonna be doing more touring or commuting riding and want to be more upright than leaned over the tank, this is the way to go. On the other hand, I tend to strictly sport ride now, so getting lower works better for me.

B4sok

Reaction score
Visit site
I have the fz1 bars on my 05. I am 6'2" so the stock bars were not really that comfortable for me. I love the FZ1 bars, might just be me, but i feel like the bike became more responsive to my input after the change. can put pics up if you would like to see just PM me.

Thanks for that. I'm 6'2" as well,the FZ1 bars you fitted. Are they the standard/stock bars supplied by Yamaha on a FZ1? What do I need to ask for from my Yamaha dealer?

ATB

:thumbup: