What is my '07 trade-in value?

fmscott2

Reaction score
Visit site
Unfortunately I'm considering moving on from my FZ6. I have my eye on a Super Tenere and I didn't want to waste my time with craigslist / cycletrader, so dealer trade-in is my strategy.

KBB says for my year and condition bike, I should get $2,600 for trade-in. My bike has about 14,500 miles on it. I've got an MIVV oval carbon slip-on exhaust and Givi crash-bars / engine guards. I've done all the regular maintenance myself over the year that I've had the bike. What do you think my trade-in value should be?

FZ09Bandit

�� Paramedic ��
Reaction score
Visit site
First off the mods. Most of the time people will revert back to stock (they seem to offer less for modded bikes) so they can make more money off the mods. I would recommend trying to sell it first. You can get a little bit more cash that way.

justaguy

Reaction score
Visit site
I agree try to sell it yourself. MODs don't make a bike worth anymore money UNLESS you can find a buyer who can appreciate what you have done to the moto then you might get a few dollars more. Sell it yourself then buy the new moto as it will always be there unless you want it NOW then trade it in.

Ultimately do what's going give you the most SPM (smiles per mile) and be happy.

Last edited:

Druff

Reaction score
Visit site
I agree with the above; mods don't necessarily add value. A fair private sale should be somewhere between trade and retail... Well, that's my 2c.
Trading to dealer is like selling to a pawn shop, they are looking to make money so why not try and make some yourself. Good luck either way.

fmscott2

Reaction score
Visit site
Well my best avenue may be to trade the FZ6 in to the dealer. The bike I'm looking at is used at a BMW dealer, and it's at an unbelievably low price. I want the bike NOW and I don't want to procrastinate because it may be gone if I wait much longer.

mike_v

Reaction score
Visit site
.....MIVV oval carbon slip-on exhaust and Givi crash-bars / engine guards..........

I would at least swap to stock exhaust if you still have it. You could probably get 3-400 selling here and same with the crash bars. Then trade it in.

You may even try to get the dealer to swap to the stock stuff as part of the deal.

aclayonb

Reaction score
Visit site
Just had my '08 with the same mileage evaluated - $2900. Worth 4k-ish person to person. Depends on your motivation and timeline.

derek533

Reaction score
Visit site
^^Yeah, I was going to say that a private transaction would net around $3K-$4k depending on condition and cleanliness. Trade-in, you'll probably get screwed out of about $500 or more. Is the extra bones worth it? Only you can decide.

I have this opinion myself, that any bike no matter age, as long as it runs good and looks good, is worth at least $2k around where I live. That's just random observation from what I see posted on Craigslist. Sure, some are less but the majority of adult street bikes whether cruiser, standard, or sport, seem to be priced around the $2k mark and they're selling it appears.

fmscott2

Reaction score
Visit site
Just had my '08 with the same mileage evaluated - $2900. Worth 4k-ish person to person. Depends on your motivation and timeline.

KBB is saying my bike should be around $2,600 for a trade-in, which about lines up with what you were valuated at. To be honest, if I could get anything above $2,000 for a trade I would be happy. I know I could get more money selling the bike privately on craigslist or cycletrader, but my time is worth more than the extra $$$ I may get by trying to sell it. I don't want to deal with tire-kickers and low-ballers. I also want to move on the Super Tenere now, which is another motivation to trade it in.

yamihoe

Professional test dummy
Reaction score
Visit site
Dealers almost always shaft you as far as trade in value, like stated, I would try and private party sale. I can safely say that with a private party sale you can expect to get around $2500-$3100 With your mileage, assuming its a clean bike. As far as the spm (smiles per mile) my bike is priceless, even when you take into consideration the R1 I have, my FZ6 is still absolutely priceless. the only time I enjoy the R1 more is in a straight line at WOT (wide open throttle), you cant beat a pull from 60 to 190 on a liter bike, but in the turns and on the highway I would take the FZ any day.

aclayonb

Reaction score
Visit site
Meh. I prefer to sell person to person. It's all in your ability to wait though. I had a car dealer tell me he couldn't do better than $500 on a 4x4 truck on trade. I sold it a week later for $4k. If it's a good deal, you can move it fairly quickly. The only good news is that everyone is going to have tax refunds to blow on toys very soon....