What GPS do you have?

zmeiaspas

The tall one
Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks for all the help everyone! That other GPS thread was very informative too :thumbup: I wanted to buy a motorcycle-dedicated GPS only because it's water proof but I think I'll stick to my nuvi 205 for now as I definietly don't have another extra $800 lying around (although I've gotta say christmas is getting close :rolleyes:). I just ordered a ram holder for it and I'll see if I can figure out some cheap ala-wavex way to mount it to my handlebars :) Btw wavex, I really like interface of those MIO units. I can't believe it survived the crash ... it looks damn fragile. Oh and on a side note, after watching your threads and photos on SBN I almost cried when I first saw this video ....

I also just came back from borders and bought a pair of maps that I will always carry in my backpack :Flash:

Do any of them feature live traffic updates?

No idea but I would guess no.

Less: will PM you in a minute.

And btw to those of you who use non-waterproof gps', what do you place them in when it rains? I was thinking of putting mine in a condom but that would look kind of dumb - I'm sure someone has a better solution than mine :D

:iconbeer:

Last edited:

OZXJR

Super Moderator
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
And btw to those of you who use non-waterproof gps', what do you place them in when it rains? I was thinking of putting mine in a condom but that would look kind of dumb - I'm sure someone has a better solution than mine :D

Ram make a waterproof box called an Aquabox,that's what I,m getting.

Less

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks for all the help everyone! That other GPS thread was very informative too :thumbup: I wanted to buy a motorcycle-dedicated GPS only because it's water proof but I think I'll stick to my nuvi 205 for now as I definietly don't have another extra $800 lying around (although I've gotta say christmas is getting close :rolleyes:). I just ordered a ram holder for it and I'll see if I can figure out some cheap ala-wavex way to mount it to my handlebars :) Btw wavex, I really like interface of those MIO units. I can't believe it survived the crash ... it looks damn fragile. Oh and on a side note, after watching your threads and photos on SBN I almost cried when I first saw this video ....

I also just came back from borders and bought a pair of maps that I will always carry in my backpack :Flash:

No idea but I would guess no.

Less: will PM you in a minute.

:iconbeer:

I try not to ride in the rain, but I did get caught in a shower with the GPS on the bike and found that while moving the windsheild kept most of the rain off the GPS and as I saw drops on it I wiped it quickly with my glove. But I hear that you can put it in a ziplock bag and back on the mount. Unless I was totally lost and needed it to get home I'd probably just take it off and put it in my saddlebags if it really started to pour.

stryken

Vertically Challenged
Reaction score
Visit site
I got a REFURB Garmin nuvi 680 for $150. I wasn't spending the extra money for the waterproof. The thing works great looks brand new not a scratch on it, still had the protective plastics on the screen. The nice thing with the 680 is it links via blue tooth with my phone and when I receive a text message I can read it on the screen while I ride. I even responded to one once just to see if I could ( carefully) on a straight boring Hwy, not something I would normally do I just had to do it to see if I could.:spank: Easy to use with gloves on and comes with a year of traffic/other info free. My wife and I share it and she loves it to, with spoken street names it is great for the price. And as OZfazer said, get the Ram Mount they are built very well!

Here's how I mounted mine, a little different but working great! ....
http://www.600riders.com/forum/fz6-mods/17302-gps-ram-mount-my-mirror.html#post218294

cv_rider

Reaction score
Visit site
I have a Garmin 60CSx. This a handheld unit, but I have a handlebar mount for it. I had been using it for a year or so on a bicycle, and then used it for a few months successfully on the motorcycle. But four month ago, it got flakey, would turn itself off periodically. I downloaded new firmware to it, and had it on the mc today, and found it continued to be flakey. I did notice that it would almost always turn itself off at 7k rpm - something about that frequency of vibration seemed to be causing it a problem. I'm thinking that a unit mainly designed for handheld use isn't up to the vibration of being on handlebars. I've been thinking of ways to give it some softer cushion so that handlebar vibration doens't translate into the unit so directly.

mcteague

Reaction score
Visit site
I have a Garmin Nuvi 500 and a RAM mount and powered by a Glisson power cord attached to the battery. The 500 is waterproof but not motorcycle specific as with the Zumo series. I do wonder if the vibration will take it's toll with the electronics over time. Just touching the side of the device shows how much vibration gets through.

https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?cID=134&pID=13424
RAM Motorcycle Mount for Garmin Nuvi 500 550 GPS RAM-B-149Z-GA32
Hardwire Barewire Power Cord for Garmin Nuvi

Tim

Kriswithak

Reaction score
Visit site
On my old Zeal I used to use my Navigator 6110 (Nokia mobile phone) in the change compartment at the front of the tank, fitted in there perfectly, and I could just close it in the rain, sadly no such compartment of the FZ6

S.D.Willie

Reaction score
www.youtube.com
garmin was too pricey so i opted for the tom tom go 720. I like it. i just need to order a ram mount and a cigarette socket-> battery tender connection which isnt much. Then ill be all set.