What bike did you learn on?

red_rock_beetle

Reaction score
Visit site
stock photo, mine was similar, my mother rode on it when she was a kid, it has been all over the world (grandfather worked on offshore oil rigs mostly in south east asia) its on its 3rd engine and i rode the crap out of it when i was little, my first lay downs were on this minibike in shorts and a t-shirt. squared off lawnmower tires on dirt is a no go except in a straight line. still have it getting it ready for the third generation to learn on!

minibike.jpg

JoeSTL

Reaction score
Visit site
GS500F. 2 years ago. I was so excited when I got it. Then I realized the seller totally screwed me and it had major work that needed to be done with it. I was able to ride it for about 4 months, and learned the basics on it. Then I got the idea to clean and rejet the carbs myself. It's still sitting in my garage. Now I hate the freaking thing....

Neal

Banned
Reaction score
Visit site
My first bike was the Fz6. Not only a good bike to start on but a good bike to learn out motorcycles. The fz6 is a pretty bare bones bike so when you mod stuff you really feel the impact of those changes.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
stock photo, mine was similar, my mother rode on it when she was a kid, it has been all over the world (grandfather worked on offshore oil rigs mostly in south east asia) its on its 3rd engine and i rode the crap out of it when i was little, my first lay downs were on this minibike in shorts and a t-shirt. squared off lawnmower tires on dirt is a no go except in a straight line. still have it getting it ready for the third generation to learn on!

minibike.jpg

That bike is almost IDENTICAL to my very first mini bike I bought when I was 12 for $65.00 (money saved from a "paper route"). The upper rear frame was tilted forward thou and it had a 3.5 HP TECUMSEH engine. That engine burned more oil than fuel.

Learned/did my first "ring job" on that bike. Eventually put a 5 HP Briggs on it, that engine would flat haul ass..

Of course, all the engines had the throttle govenor disconnected so the engine would run well above the 3,600 RPM it was designed for.

Learned how to clean my first carb on that engine as well!

Very neat memories, thanks. :thumbup:

Last edited:

kreed0501

Reaction score
Visit site
The 2008 cobalt blue FZ6 I bought last October was my first bike...no dirt bikes, no mini bikes...only two-wheeled experience was the kind you have to pedal. :) The FZ6 has been great to learn on! It's my daily 60-mile commuter now!

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
1st bike, Suzuki ER-50 bike
2nd bike, Yamaha YB 100
3rd bike, Suzuki GS125
4th Yamaha RD 200
5th Kawazaki GPZ 305
6th Kawasaki ER-5

Nelly

dxh24

Ambitious But Rubbish
Reaction score
Visit site
1st bike, Suzuki ER-50 bike
2nd bike, Yamaha YB 100
3rd bike, Suzuki GS125
4th Yamaha RD 200
5th Kawazaki GPZ 305
6th Kawasaki ER-5

Nelly

Cool bunch of bikes! How did you like the ER-5? I wish we got the full ER line over here, think we just get the ER-6n

maikeru

Reaction score
Visit site
My first bike was a RGV250. was so much fun to ride but also had a lot of problems with it too. Hitting power band always left a big grin on my face =)

Yammi Dodger

Reaction score
Visit site
My learner bike was a Honda Varadero 125. Got to say this was a great bike to learn and pass my test on. Something that I will always remember is when I was sitting at the lights, and a fellow biker pulled up next to me, and asked me why I'd got L plates on a 600, he could not believe it when I told him its a 125, shot off down the road shaking is head. :rockon:

AlisAquilae

Reaction score
Visit site
The 2009 FZ6 I bought last week has been my first and only two wheel experience with a clutch. Needless to say, I'm taking my time to learn to ride it properly.

Water Bear

Fireball
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
The fz6 :rolleyes:

I did the BRC on a tiny Honda, lost all self control and bumped up to a racy 600cc directly after.

dschult2

Reaction score
Visit site
Rode dirt for many years on a YZ125 then took a few years off and bought my first street bike which is my current FZ6. Got tired of having to trailer my bike anytime I wanted to ride although I still do miss the dirt - alot!

2nd childhood

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I learned on a Honda 90, took my test on a buddy's Honda 250 dual purpose bike, then bought an old Kawasaki F4 250 two-stroke with no battery, only a magneto.