• Weatherby SA-08

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • CZ 712

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Fishwiz4

Reaction score
Visit site
I am looking to buy 12 gauge semi-auto shotgun in a few days. this is the first shotgun that i will own. I have shot a fair amount of shells, but only from "cheap" remington 870's. I am pretty sure i want a decent semi-auto but i am budgeting under $600.

I think the best bet is to go used and get a Browning Gold, Weatherby SA-08, beretta 390, or maybe a CZ712 or other gun comparable to these.

I am planning on going to a few shops this weekend to see what they have in stock for used guns, and picking one up. I would love to find a steal on a nice benelli, but they are usually quite spendy.

To be truely honest with myself, i will probably not use this gun much (4-10 times a year) mostly for shooting clay pigeons out in the country (not in a league yet) and then for a couple of pheasant outings a year. I want a gun that will be somewhat versital and realiable and very accepting of different sized loads (I don't think 3.5" shells are important to me though).

Also, i think i like a nice wood stock, but what are you opinions of synthetic/wood.

so.... tell me what you think. good guns, bad guns, and your recomendations.

I'll attatch a poll to recomend some of the more likely choices.

Thanks guys....and gals!

Last edited:

famous556

TV4 Rider
Reaction score
Visit site
I cant speak for any of the others becaus eI have no firsthand experience, but the Benelli shotguns are very very nice. I've used them for the past 2 years and haven't had a hiccup with one ever. They're nice.

Fishwiz4

Reaction score
Visit site
what model Benelli do you shoot?

have you ever shot light 2.75" loads, and if so did it cycle fine witht he light loads?

04fizzer

Reaction score
Visit site
Good luck getting a Benelli for under $1k.

What's wrong with the Rem 870? For what you're looking to do, you can very easily use a pump.

You could also look at the Rem 1100, 11-87, or SP-10.

I love all of my Remingtons (own 4, including my wife's .22). Can't go wrong for the price, kind of like Yamaha: best bang for your buck.

Fishwiz4

Reaction score
Visit site
Good luck getting a Benelli for under $1k.

What's wrong with the Rem 870? For what you're looking to do, you can very easily use a pump.

I love all of my Remingtons (own 4, including my wife's .22). Can't go wrong for the price, kind of like Yamaha: best bang for your buck.

i guess nothing is wrong with the 870 other than being to common. that is part of the reason i like my FZ6 because it is a little different than the rest of the "crotch rockets" lol. i am a geek/nerd and i like the idea of a semi-auto even though i agree that i probably don't need one.

I should have added the 1100 and 11-87 to the poll as well. I have looked into them a little as well and will definatly be considering them when I check out the used inventory.

Last edited:

famous556

TV4 Rider
Reaction score
Visit site
An m2. Just the standard black synthetic stock. I shoot 2 3/4 shells way more than 3". It cycles them just fine.

FIZZER6

The Angry Blue Mantis
Reaction score
Visit site

I also own a Rem 870 and I would buy an 11-87 if I was in the market for an autoloader. Unless you are going big time into dove hunting or trap shooting I don't see what is wrong with a good pump shotgun. Pump shotguns are significantly more reliable for home defense as well as it is near impossible to jam them if you use the correct shells.

Out of your choices I would choose the Browning, best bang for your buck.

04fizzer

Reaction score
Visit site
i guess nothing is wrong with the 870 other than being to common. that is part of the reason i like my FZ6 because it is a little different than the rest of the "crotch rockets" lol. i am a geek/nerd and i like the idea of a semi-auto even though i agree that i probably don't need one.

I should have added the 1100 and 11-87 to the poll as well. I have looked into them a little as well and will definatly be considering them when I check out the used inventory.

There's a lot of them for a reason. But the amount out there also makes replacement parts/customization much easier to find if you are that worried about being different.

Raptorman53

Reaction score
Visit site
I also think the Remington 1100 and 11-87 should be easy to find. I know it's a little over your budget but, I have seen benelli super black eagle' used for around $700 or $800. If you just want something different and don't mind another pump. I have a benelli nova pump. I really like this gun a lot and it only cost me $360 on sale.

Fred

M em b er e d
Reaction score
www.robietech.com
The only autoloader I have is my grandfather's Browning Auti 5. I don't have anything to compare it to, but it's a flippin' sweet gun. The whole barrel recoils with the bolt, which as far as I know is a unique feature to this gun.

One thing to know about it is that if you're going to shoot high power shells, you have to reconfigure the recoil system. It only takes a couple of minutes to do, and no extra parts are needed.

Frederic

P.S. It's not for sale.

MarkG813

Reaction score
Visit site
The only shotgun i own is a Remington 870. I got the fully synthetic 28" supermag. I use it for everything and it hasn't dissapointed me yet. If a pump isn't your type of thing, I would find a used 11-87.

04fizzer

Reaction score
Visit site
The only shotgun i own is a Remington 870. I got the fully synthetic 28" supermag. I use it for everything and it hasn't dissapointed me yet. If a pump isn't your type of thing, I would find a used 11-87.

I love my 870. I use 2-3/4" Lightfield (don't let the name fool you) slugs during deer season, and those things have so much kick it turns my 870 into a semi-semi-auto pump. It actually kicks back enough that it half ejects itself. It's crazy.

Fishwiz4

Reaction score
Visit site
I bought a new stoeger m3500. I love the feel and handling is this gun. The action is so solid too (same action and technology as high end benellis with less bells and whistles).
I can't wait to shoot it tommorow afternoon! I have 125 shells and I hope to shoot them all!

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

dxh24

Ambitious But Rubbish
Reaction score
Visit site
AA-12!!!!

sorry....too much call of duty... i've got a mossberg 500 pump, shoots well but can't comment of their semi autos :(

Sawblade

Hopped up on Mountain Dew
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Don't ignore the cheap Mossberg and Remington pumps, they're doggedly reliable and just as accurate. You might get poked fun at when you're shooting trap, but the great thing about shotguns is that skill is way more important than what you spent on your gun.

Also, if you've got your heart set on an auto, I've been hearing good things about the Mossberg 930. It has an auto adjusting piston so it can feed bunny fart target loads just as well as magnum turkey loads.

[Edit] Also, for hunting, a light gun is your friend.

Last edited:

MarkG813

Reaction score
Visit site
I love my 870. I use 2-3/4" Lightfield (don't let the name fool you) slugs during deer season, and those things have so much kick it turns my 870 into a semi-semi-auto pump. It actually kicks back enough that it half ejects itself. It's crazy.

The 2-3/4" lightfield slugs are the only slugs i've shot through my gun, my neighbor quit using his shotgun after he bought a muzzleloader, gave all his slugs to me. :thumbup:

04fizzer

Reaction score
Visit site
The 2-3/4" lightfield slugs are the only slugs i've shot through my gun, my neighbor quit using his shotgun after he bought a muzzleloader, gave all his slugs to me. :thumbup:

Those Lightfields hit HARD. Sucks they're up to almost $20/box though. I bought a few when they were on sale for $10/box.

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I've got a Browning Gold and love it! Super smooth, very high quality. :thumbup: