What are the essential basic tools needed?

genexpres

Phoebe and her dad Fazer
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Just got my Fazer-06 a month ago.
Truely enjoy it.

I read may many of the post and wanted to do some of the basic mod such as wind blocker replacement, slider install, chain tension adjustment...

I found that my current toolbox is inadequate for the new bike.

What are some basic essential tools that you find to be a must-have?

Please provide size spec also.

RJ2112

Reaction score
www.etsy.com
I'd make sure you have the basics, in good quality.... buy a name brand set of metric sockets 8-17mm, a name brand set of combination wrenches 8-15mm, a set of hex or allen keys in metric sizes (buy the set), a GOOD QUALITY #2 philips head screw driver.

The sockets and wrenches should be 6 point tools, rather than the more common 12 or 18 point. Less points mean you will round off less bolts.

A good quality air pressure gauge. I prefer a dial type..... definitely do not trust the cheapo stick types that cost a dollar.....

The best way to get the right tools for 90% of the things you are likely to do, is to take the tool kit from the bike to a tool store, and replicate what's in the bag. The tools in the kit from Yamaha are almost 'one use' emergency tools. I still use the axle wrenches, and the spark plug removal tool..... pretty much everything else is already covered by Craftsman tools I've had for almost 30 years.

afpreppie04

The Thread Killer
Reaction score
Visit site
I would add loctite and a torque wrench to that list. Also, I have found that Yamaha cheaped out on some of the fairing bolts and they snap very easily. For example when I did my fender eliminator every single one of those bolts sheared instead of unscrewing; they were practically plastic. My ez-outs came in handy then. Replaced with nice stainless bolts from the local hardware shop.

Fahren

Reaction score
Visit site
dont forget the consumerables such as release oil, WD40, gasket sealant, electrical contact cleaner and copper slip grease...the last is a must for most bolts etc it can cut down on the chances of having bolts snap in their holes...if the last owner of my bike had applied a little to the exhaust studs i wouldnt have had to spend a fortune having one stud drilled out!!!...ooh electrical tape....tie-wraps....hehehe the list is getting bigger!!

I carry enough tools on my bike to enable me to remove all the fairings and gas tank if i need...not much really 2 allen keys and 2 spanners 10mm, 12mm.

DaveOTZ

Reaction score
Visit site
+1 to all

Don't forget duct tape, electrical tape, a blowtorch, and a water buffalo, live or stuffed, preferably stuffed for safetys sake

ender

ohfive
Reaction score
Visit site
All of the above plus;
1. Yamaha FZ6 Service Manual. Downloads are available here (do a search) or find a hard-copy($10-30) or a CD($5-10) on ebay.
2. Torque wrench (Craftsman Microtork cost me about $60)

Enjoy.

steveindenmark

Older Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Rule number 1...don`t buy cheap tools..

You only have very limited space unless you add boxes etc and even if you add them you don`t want to fill them with tools. I have done 25,000km on my FZ6 and I do all my own servicing. I need a "Idiots guide to mechanics" to get round this bike. If you do the usual things like change the oil and filter, spark plugs (You will really enjoy that...not), blow the air filter out occasionally, keep an eye on the tyres and tyre pressure. Clean and lubricate the chain OFTEN and without the engine running.

If you do these things then your bike will keep running happily and you won`t need loads of tools.

Get breakdown cover, it is worth its weight in gold and the card sits in your wallet. At least you can get the bike home nomatter where you are.

I carry 3 or 4 ring spanners which fits most of the bike
A very small adjustable spanner
A cross head and a flathead screwdriver
Pointed nose pliers
Electric tape
A couple of plastic ties
Spare headlight and tail light bulbs

I don`t carry anything for punctures, that is what the card is for. I don`t know what it is like in the states but I can get my bike recovered to anyplace I like so if I get a flat on the road I can just get taken to the nearest bike shop.

I have these things in my toolkit but have never used any of them. The FZ6 is a very reliable bike.

Steve

steveindenmark

Older Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Matt I have got one of those coil things to boil water. I learnt in the garage that it will drain the FZ6 battery in about a cup.
With my moto guzzi california battery I can boil about ten bucket fulls I think.

Steve

Mattberkshire

Reaction score
Visit site
And a stereo. Can't fettle a bike without good sounds. Led Zep's a happy medium if you can't think of anything else

Seriously though, did anyone mention a pile of bricks and a plank of wood for when you've got to get the front wheel off