Went for a ride with no wind screen today...

BlackAndBlue

Reaction score
Visit site
I did the same today and it scared me a little.
I feel I'm looking at the end of cliff while riding. And also, the bike felt very light weight by just removing the stock screen.
Any explanation? Did any of you feel the same?

I noticed that too. I think it's the change in the center of pressure. Could be wrong. Less pressure, down force, up front frees it up and makes it feel lighter. I also noticed the forks don't seem as under-sprung.

raja777m

Ride like you own it..!
Reaction score
Visit site
Here is my ride without windscreen:
YouTube
A little shaky after certain speed, which is expected.
Too noisy for the camera (Sony AZ1VR) though.

BlackAndBlue

Reaction score
Visit site

FLPicker

Reaction score
Visit site
I put the Cee Bailey tall screen on mine and it works pretty darn good. I still get a blast to the helmet (I am 6-00), but it is about lower visor up and cleaner air. The short screen hit upper chest and up, and was turbulent. It was work to keep my head still at highway speeds, as you all have shared. This screen, with earplugs to reduce the windrush, has made the bike much more pleasant to ride.

vinmansbrew

Reaction score
Visit site
Nice to see the number of people that hate the blast from the screen. I have ridden naked for years before getting my fz. I don't see how it is harder at any legal speed. I have just about sold my fz just because it is so terrible to ride at anything about 60. I feel like a boxer facing Tyson. I am finally collecting the parts I need to convert. Four led signals, bar end mirrors, 7 inch round headlight, should make for a new bike after that. Also got new grips coming cause, let's face it, the stock grips really suck. They lack grip and vibration absorption.

Figured I would edit this.
Over the last couple weekends, I spent time putting on my parts.

Hardest was mounting the speedo. I ended up getting flat aluminum and cutting and drilling that. A small amount of bounce, but nothing that affects reading it. I just need to shoot it with some matte black paint.

Today was the first ride on it and I gotta say, Yamaha done screwed up putting a fairing on this bike. The front end is nice and light, enough to make it something to get used to. No real undersprung feeling anymore.
Noise at 75 is still fairly loud however; it is not the deafening roar from before. I can actually ride with no ear plugs and not have my ears hurt after 15 minutes. 60 mph was plain wonderful.
Gone is the terrible buffeting from any wind. Had a light 20 mph crosswind(that's light in my area) and barely noticed it. Before my head would be getting knocked everywhere. Control was just so much better.

I figured it would be different, but this is almost like "new bike" different.

Honestly, about the only thing that may be worse is getting wet in the rain. Big deal. I don't see bugs being much worse, maybe even better given past experience with my other naked bikes.

Last edited: