Well.....it finally happened....

Red Wazp

Reaction score
Visit site
Shhh.........

Starting hitting really consistent lines and my inputs smoothed out. Started to feel back in control by the end of the day.

*THROWS MONKEY OFF BACK*

_MG_0166-2582297362-O.jpg

_MG_0363-2582328619-O.jpg

_MG_0401-2582336283-O.jpg

_MG_9412-2581693527-O.jpg

Very impressive, looking good Lone!

Milano

Reaction score
Visit site
Awesome pics! Thanks for posting, and kudos on having the self-confidence to show them here.

I not only ride my FZ6, but also race road bikes, meaning that every now and then I find myself barreling down a narrow curvy descent at 45+ mph - with tires that are only 1/2 inch wide underneath me. One of the main principles of good riding/handling applies to both bicycles and motorbikes: learn how to fall. And one can't do that without falling!

Thanks again for posting.

lonesoldier84

SuperFlanker Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I not only ride my FZ6, but also race road bikes, meaning that every now and then I find myself barreling down a narrow curvy descent at 45+ mph - with tires that are only 1/2 inch wide underneath me. One of the main principles of good riding/handling applies to both bicycles and motorbikes: learn how to fall. And one can't do that without falling!

I get more freaked out going around corners (not nearly at those speeds) on my road-race-style bicycle than I do crashing motorcycles haha.

That's pretty mental at your speeds on those tires. Haha crazy stuff. And your feet are locked into the pedals too just for extra seat-grabbing muscular tension haha.

And yes...that's all I've been doing this whole time... Just getting in practice falling...;)

Makes me want to get more gear. Did your helmet ever hit the ground?

Not really no. Tried to keep it in good condition. Haha helmets are expensive.

What are you running for gear right now?

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Looking at the first two pictures, I'm trying to understand how you crashed. 1st, it's a left hand turn. I remembered you have mastered the right hand turns by going around the cloverleafs around Edmonton, so maybe left handers are still giving you problems?

Looks like you were applying too much front brake and the front tire was washing out from underneath?

lonesoldier84

SuperFlanker Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Lol clovers...

The sequence of events:

--was on the inside line going into the corner
--overshot my brake marker
--reached for the brakes
--front end dived down but soon it started to feel like a jackhammer as it slid/gripped/slid as I got heavier on the brakes
--eased off and got back on the brakes to smooth it out but jackhammer resumed
--continued to try and tip it in and ease of the brakes but front was still bouncing too much
--decided to straighten up and bleed off more speed before tipping in before the gravel
--decided to brake till the end of asphalt then run it through the gravel
--front end continued to bounce
--front end slid out

After taking some time to cool down and go through it in my head, I decided it was primarily sloppy braking technique combined with being too aggressive that caused the incident.

I was stiff on the controls, got on the brakes too abruptly, and then tried to manhandle the front end to compensate for all my rustiness.

Rest of the day I made a mental effort to work on smoother braking by gripping the tank extra hard with my legs so I could have a feather touch on the handlebars and controls, and get on and off the brakes a bit cleaner.

Just working on getting the fundamentals right again really.

Flappy arms. Need those flappy arms. Lol

Felt much better through the rest of the day.

Last edited:

Misti

Reaction score
www.mistihurst.com
Lol clovers...

The sequence of events:

--was on the inside line going into the corner
--overshot my brake marker
--reached for the brakes
--front end dived down but soon it started to feel like a jackhammer as it slid/gripped/slid as I got heavier on the brakes
--eased off and got back on the brakes to smooth it out but jackhammer resumed
--continued to try and tip it in and ease of the brakes but front was still bouncing too much
--decided to straighten up and bleed off more speed before tipping in before the gravel
--decided to brake till the end of asphalt then run it through the gravel
--front end continued to bounce
--front end slid out

After taking some time to cool down and go through it in my head, I decided it was primarily sloppy braking technique combined with being too aggressive that caused the incident.

I was stiff on the controls, got on the brakes too abruptly, and then tried to manhandle the front end to compensate for all my rustiness.

Rest of the day I made a mental effort to work on smoother braking by gripping the tank extra hard with my legs so I could have a feather touch on the handlebars and controls, and get on and off the brakes a bit cleaner.

Just working on getting the fundamentals right again really.

Flappy arms. Need those flappy arms. Lol

Felt much better through the rest of the day.

Good for you for going through the sequence of events after it happened and chalking it up to being stiff on the controls and too abrupt with the brakes. Looks to me like trying to turn with front brakes applied aggressively did the trick. I also noticed that in your first pic, your body position looks quite crossed up which could have played a role as well. I was quite surprised at your later pics which showed stellar BP, you obviously sorted yourself out quite well :)

Again, good for you for taking the time to analyze what happened and straighten it out quickly. I just had a great conversation with a friend of mine who crashed and when I asked what happened he said, "wrong suspension." I pressed him further to take a look at what HE as the rider was doing when he crashed and it turns out that he was turning while on the brakes over a rough patch of pavement which was probably the main reason why he went down. Crappy suspension didn't help the issue at all. The point is that everyone should take a few minutes after a crash to figure out what went wrong and to look at your own riding to see what skill (or lack there of) might have contributed to the get off, that way you can work on fixing the problems so it doesn't happen again!

And you are lucky that you got pics of the crash, I figured out that in 13 years of riding and racing I've crashed about 17 times and don't have ONE SINGLE PICTURE of any of my crashes :(

Glad you weren't hurt and happy riding!!

Misti