Waving to other riders

fz6nick

I Love Lamp
Reaction score
Visit site
Does anyone else ever get sick of waving to motorcyclists such as Harley riders? There are always big groups and less than half wave because your on a sport bike. I stick to only waving at sportbike riders now. Never wave to scooter people!

Nick

W

wrightme43

No see I disagree.

Always wave. Wave to anyone on two wheels. Thats bikes, scooters, and motorcycles. Wave to kids in cars, wave to school buses and any emergency vehicle you see.

If someone doesnt wave back its their problem not mine. If they are actually doing it on purpose its very shallow and crappy.

I have a blast on my bike, I want people to know I am having a blast. Think about it, carry the message of we are all brothers and sisters on two wheel. The motor on a bicycle is the most elemental of motors. The scooter rider will bleed the same red blood if he/she goes down that we will. So will the cyclist.

Dont be like the ones that ride for status and as a life style accesory, ride because of the sheer joy. Be the one that waves anyway.

Only my opinions but I believe them to be the better way.
Steve

a_sick1

2004 FZ6
Reaction score
Visit site
Does anyone else ever get sick of waving to motorcyclists such as Harley riders? There are always big groups and less than half wave because your on a sport bike. I stick to only waving at sportbike riders now. Never wave to scooter people!

Nick

scooter people, like Harley riders are spending all their time hanging on for dear life:squid:

W

wrightme43

Nick

Oh and hey I want to make sure you understand I have wanted to not wave a Harley guys before too. I just do it anyway now.

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site

Nick

Here ya go Nick. There's even a poll on this subject. I'm like you, I mainly stick to sportbikes, but I do other bikes on occasions. Depends on the situation.

http://www.600riders.com/forum/bar/395-do-you-wave-other-riders.html

CHEMIKER

Running Moderator
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
No see I disagree.

Always wave. Wave to anyone on two wheels. Thats bikes, scooters, and motorcycles. Wave to kids in cars, wave to school buses and any emergency vehicle you see.

If someone doesnt wave back its their problem not mine. If they are actually doing it on purpose its very shallow and crappy.

I have a blast on my bike, I want people to know I am having a blast. Think about it, carry the message of we are all brothers and sisters on two wheel. The motor on a bicycle is the most elemental of motors. The scooter rider will bleed the same red blood if he/she goes down that we will. So will the cyclist.

Dont be like the ones that ride for status and as a life style accesory, ride because of the sheer joy. Be the one that waves anyway.

Steve

I couldn't have said it better myself. Anyone who gets on two wheels is taking a risk just like me and deserves to be recognized as part of the group imo.

Keep in mind also that our first responsibility is to get to our destinations safely. If someone is too preoccupied with watching for a stupid cager or a questionable road to notice me I'm cool with that and don't sweat it. I'll still wave in case they have a chance to glance up and see my friendly gesture.

bmccrary

Touring Mod
Reaction score
Visit site
I have noticed alot of people not waving since I got my bike. I have a feeling that alot of it is due to the "yuppies" that get the bike for the fuel milage and just dont know any better. I have noticed to that more people are just hanging their fingers off the bars when waving. However I like to throw my arm down and do the point. Heck I make it a game now. I wave even in tight corners just to do it.

However I dont wave to scooters, I will say that. Most of the time the guys on scooters here are too drunk to wave. And thats why they are on them.

-bryan

-bryan

Avalon786

Reaction score
Visit site
No see I disagree.

Steve

+1 Couldn't have said it better...Plus you never know one day a Scooter or a guy ridin a Harley might stop and help you out when you need it! We all the same, we ARE all Riders :Sport:

madmanmaigret

Mad like crazy not angry
Reaction score
Visit site
I agree with the wave to everyone on two wheels.... another thing that was mentioned in that poll (sportriderfz-6 maybe :don'tknow: ) was to wave to kids in cars/minivans etc. They are our future riders/brother/sisters taking a half of a second of your day to put a smile on a kids face is worth it IMO. try it and see how it makes you feel :thumbup:

lonesoldier84

SuperFlanker Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
a lot of scooter riders got em just for gas mileage and thats about it, but i still wave at em usually

i started a new wave i find more unique.....i give a salute. sometimes I just beat my chest with my left hand once or twice. sometimes i point directly at the other rider.... haha all of it i find quite amusing and i hope the others do as well

steveindenmark

Older Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I will wave to ANYONE who waves to me including moped riders.

One day they will be bike riders. If one was having problems at the side of the road I would stop and help. I even did that for a car driver the other day.

I don`t wave on motorways and think the practice should be discouraged. At 150 kmp plus, as well as turbulance, I want my hands on the bars.

Steve

oscarg85

Reaction score
Visit site
listen man it happends to everyone, some dudes think they are to cool because the have harleys and straights pipes and they dont wear as much gear as us, but hey i still waive at them. It pisses me of sometimes when they dont waive back, but thats their problem. Me i consider everyone in two wheels and a engine part of a big family.:rockon:

Gdubya

Reaction score
Visit site
I wave to everyone too, but it means different things.
If it is a scooter rider or bicyclist it means, "Cool, at least you are out riding!" If it is another motorcyclist who waves back, it means "Hey fellow rider, keep the shiny side up!"
If it is some harley dude with no gear who is too cool to wave back, it means "Buh-bye, lotsa luck with that!"

AgentW

Reaction score
Visit site
What annoys me is that the harley-type bikes guys actually seem to purposefully not wave. Through the ether, I get the impression they look down on our type of bikes.

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
When I'm on my bicycle and a cager is pissed I just wave and smile, they get even madder because I'm not mad, too funny.

W

wrightme43

What annoys me is that the harley-type bikes guys actually seem to purposefully not wave. Through the ether, I get the impression they look down on our type of bikes.

Yes that hurts my feelings a little too. Its thier loss though, instead of enjoying the ride, they are more concerned about status, and the pose. That makes the rider a wanker, and you have still done the right thing.

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Yes that hurts my feelings a little too. Its thier loss though, instead of enjoying the ride, they are more concerned about status, and the pose. That makes the rider a wanker, and you have still done the right thing.

The true Harley riders I'm okay with. It's the OCC guys who really bug me, talk about posers! Bad riders, no gear, silly looking choppers. Ugh....however I still wave, take the high road.

AlanB

Reaction score
Visit site
Before I started riding, I didn't realize how much I would enjoy the wave/nod. I wave at all sportbikes and some cruisers if the mood strikes. I always wave back, no matter who it is. When stuck at a light, even a moped gets a nod. It all feels very fraternal and turned out to be one of the things I like best about riding a bike.

Anybody else have to fight the urge to waive at a bike when you're in your cage?

bmccrary

Touring Mod
Reaction score
Visit site
The true Harley riders I'm okay with. It's the OCC guys who really bug me, talk about posers! Bad riders, no gear, silly looking choppers. Ugh....however I still wave, take the high road.

+1, and it really pisses me off when they ride up the sidewalk and park like if the resteraunt is facing another direction than the parking lot. It takes alot to not take the valve stem out or something... They are riding to show off, not to ride. Their loss I guess. One day they will understand what riding is about.

morons.