Wave as you go past

Texperkin

Reaction score
Visit site
I'm at the BP servo on Gympie Rd at Aspley, sitting next to my broken-down fizzer. I gather the battery has died.

This is the first time the bike and I were going to spend any time together in ages. The family have already gone up to Coolum for the weekend and I was on the way to meet them after work when the engine just died in traffic.

Not happy :(

Texperkin

Reaction score
Visit site
RACQ guy came and we figured out that the battery itself looks OK but there is a little gadget that sits on top of it that isn't. I know nothing about engines and he knew little about bikes but that's what it looks like.

Now waiting for a tow.

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Did we ever find out what the source of that sad face was???

Hope you and your mighty lil fizzer are back riding already???

:thumbup:

Texperkin

Reaction score
Visit site
Did we ever find out what the source of that sad face was???

Hope you and your mighty lil fizzer are back riding already???

:thumbup:

Hi guys,

The short answer is no - haven't found out what the problem is yet.

The long answer:

I got the bike to my local guy at Brendale and he replaced the battery. It seemed to be charging OK apparently and the battery had apparently dropped a cell so wasn't outputting enough power to turn the engine over.

However the very next time I rode it, on the way back from work it started doing the same thing. I managed to keep it going by revving it hard the last 10kms and got it back to Brendale. Not happy because it looked like exactly the same problem.

He figured out that the regulator rectifier wasn't working so ordered a new one. That arrived on Saturday however ITS STILL NOT CHARGING!

Now, I don't know much about bikes but is it really that difficult to track down the problem?

I'm having to drive my wife's lollypop green Mazda 2 to work every day - most embarrassing. I sneaked out of work early on Friday and was waiting to turn into traffic out of the building car park when the phone rang - it was my boss who was sitting in his massive 4WD man-car and he was ringing just to take the p1$$ out of my girl car :cheer:

I miss my bike :(

Texperkin

Reaction score
Visit site
Righto!

Finally got my bike back on the weekend and rode it to work and back today without incident.

Apparently the stator was broken such that two of the phases weren't sending enough current through when the engine was warm and the engine was turning over at below 4500rpm.

Don't really understand but basically the stator required replacing.

Here's a haiku I wrote about it....

My bike
Moribund to this point through stator fault
Now returned to me