Waterproofing?

Iron Cross

Reaction score
Visit site
So I just competed my naked conversion with the VS-2 kit, and was wondering about waterproofing the wires and relays behind the headlight.

My friend had a suggestion I thought I'd get some opinions on. He said to use spray used to keep batteries from corroding (I'm thinking he's talking about silicon spray)

Anyone have any opinions on this?

~ Vi Veri Veniversum Vivus Vici ~

ebster1085

Reaction score
Visit site
Not familiar with any spray, but I too am looking for a way to waterproof the exposed relays after doing the VS-2 conversion. I know one way to achieve this would be to do a wire tuck and hide everything in the frame, but not sure if I want to go this route.

I was planning on taking a balloon or some other type of waterproof enclosure and wrapping everything up, then using a zip tie to seal off. Seams like the easiest method to me.

William

Reaction score
Visit site
Take a look at ACF-50, comes in spray and liquid containers. It originated in the aircraft industry, totally non-conductive…serious stuff. I used it once…messy, but that's what you're going to get with a spray. But it lasts a long time (like 2 years!). Otherwise, small touches with non-conductive dialectic grease work good for exposed connections, inside switch housings and other smaller applications.

ChevyFazer

Redneck MacGyver
Reaction score
Visit site
+1000 on dielectric grease!!! My bike has been naked since I got it June of last year, and between then and now I've added 15,000 miles to it riding rain or shine and have had 0 water related issues. If your worried about things getting wet now that the fairing is gone, no need to worry, it's a motorcycle most of the electronics are fairly water resistant to begin with.

Iron Cross

Reaction score
Visit site
hmmm....so it seems the consensus is some type of grease. I think the silicon would be too thin anyway.

Guess I'll try to pick some of that stuff up. And try doing it without taking off the headlight haha!

~ Vi Veri Veniversum Vivus Vici ~

Popeye70

Reaction score
Visit site
How about Plasti-Dip? Bought in a spraycan I guess you could spray everything you want to protect...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CBRF3RIDER

Reaction score
Visit site
How about Plasti-Dip? Bought in a spraycan I guess you could spray everything you want to protect...

I used plasti dip on the connectors on my heated grips. I saw online that people use it to waterproof the electronics in their RC cars so I figured it should work ok

ChevyFazer

Redneck MacGyver
Reaction score
Visit site
If I was going to use anything which I don't see the need for anything other than dielectric grease I would use liquid electrical tape instead of spraying something.