Want to go naked - but have questions....

bitty7292

Bitty7292
Reaction score
Visit site
I've had my FZ6 for about two years now. My riding is essentially commuting to work and back 25 miles each way early in the morning before the sun comes up and at dusk when it goes down. I try to ride as much as I can but sometimes its just too cold. I occasionaly take weekend trips on the bike as well. I want to go naked - because I love the look and pretty soon the FZ6 front end is going to look a little long in the tooth where as naked is timeless.

So my questions are as follows:

How much of an effect on wind and temp did taking the plastics away make ?
Is it still comfortable for touring at that point ?
If anyone has the clubman bars (I like the cafe look) how much lower are they than stock ?

Only naked bike I have ridden is my buddies 919 when we switch on the twisties. Other than that all my experience has been on true sportbikes.

Any other feedback is more than appreciated. Also - if anyone has any part suggestions - thanks.

Bitty

Bram

Reaction score
www.youtube.com
I have a naked for 4 months now.

here are some of my findings:

it is relaxed cruising from 0 to about 100km/h
It also depends how strong the wind is, and in what direction it is blowing.

for example: If you drive 100km/h and there is a 40km/h wind from the front, it feels like you are riding 140km/h
I don't know if there are many strong winds in your area.

if you want to drive long fast runs, it's best to take a more agressive bodyposition. (ass more to the back of the seat and tip of the foot on the pegs.
Doing so, you don't have to hold on real tight to the handlebars.
If not, then your hands and fingers will be tired real quickly because you really have to hold on tight (at windspeeds above 100km/h that is)

I have no clue if there is a strong sidewind, that you will feel it stronger on a naked. My guess is not.

I don't have any experience with a full faired bike, so I'm just giving you some input of my own :)

When it's cold, just pull 2 sweathers or T-shirts on top of each other. that creates a little bit of a bufferzone which keeps the body warmth close to your body.

Good luck with the conversion:thumbup:

fzme

Reaction score
Visit site
I had these same worries before I went naked. I had a CBR F4i, then my FZ6 (both with windscreens) before doing my naked conversion. Then I thought to myself....'if tens of thousands of out of shape, middle-aged men have cruisers without windscreens, and a "kite in the wind" handlebar position, and can drive themselves around without a wind problem, so can I', and so can you.

Now, your arms will be hurting at the end of an all-day, fast-paced interstate ride (touring), but you won't even notice the wind at anything under interstate speed.

Also it's a good habit to grip the bike with your legs to take some of the "hold on" responsiblity off of your arms.

I'm pretty sure that the bikes plastics help the bike cut through the air more than they shield the rider from the wind, so you won't feel a difference there.

As far as bars go, I have convertibars: convertibars.com They are fully adustable, though not as easily adjustable as I'd like. But they serve the purpose I want on any day: sport, touring, or somewhere between.

sublime0713

Gun nut
Reaction score
Visit site
My $.02: Agree with all the above comments, and also would point out that the stock fairing on the Fizzers creates a lot of buffeting (side to side pushing) and that is gone once you pull the fairing. I prefer the full on wind, though it can be a bit fierce on a windy day, as Bram mentioned. All in all, having ridden everything from cruisers to enduros to supersport bikes, I like my nekkid Fizzer the most :rockon:

Geoff

The Tall Guy!
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
If your not sure, test ride a used bike from your local dealershop. It will give the the same idea what it will feel like. Also agreed with the other comments, but if your weather gets up above 80, it feels pretty good having some airflow through the vents on your jacket or whatever you may wear.

Kazza

Administrator aka Mrs Prebstar
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I have only had Naked - can't compare. I have toured on my bike. Not too many problems. I have just bought a Yamaha screen for it though - does really help.

:D

bertmoog

Yes, I am.
Reaction score
Visit site
I have driven fully faired, half faired, and headlight only bikes and I can tell you with certainty, unless you do 90% interstate driving, naked is the way to go. It's what riding a motorcycle is supposed to feel like and what a motorcycle is supposed to look like. I remember something I read in Cycle World a while back... they were talking to Jay Leno about motorcycles and he said, "I like a bike I can see through." That pretty much sums it up.

Yes, the wind does buffet you going 80 MPH down the interstate, but I also don't mind it... if I did, I would just drive a car. :thumbup:

Also :welcome: