VHT Extreme heat header paint?

Cuba

Reaction score
Visit site
I just picked up a can of this from Autozone in flat black planning to do the rad covers and foot peg assemblies (waiting until winter rolls around for pegs) but I'm wondering about actually using it for it's intended use, painting the headers. I've heard mixed reviews (skewed towards the negative).

Let's say for a moment that I do exactly what is recommended for headers:

-Excellent prep work, extensive sanding/cleaning, use the right solvent

-Perfect heat/humidity environment

-Very light coats, excellent even coverage

-Recommended heat curing, off the bike using an oven

Would it still chip and require new paint every season? I think it would look great if it held up, really clean up the look. I want to go ALL black since I have an 07, planning on doing all the work during the snowy season. I saw one member's photos with chipping a while back, does any one have additional experience with this?

i am planning on doing this over the winter as well, but using a ceramic based paint as i think it will hold up better to the chipping.

i am planning on doing this over the winter as well, but using a ceramic based paint as i think it will hold up better to the chipping.

I think the VHT is ceramic but I'll have to check it again. I've heard of people having to repaint every year even with the good stuff but I'm hoping they took shortcuts to cause that. Eh, I guess if I do it once the right way and it doesn't work perfectly I'll just touch it up from time to time.