Very often switch on the fan at stoppage

mp005

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi, for two weeks I am the owner of the Yamaha Fazer S2 2007. After buying a motorcycle when parked reached max. temperature of 85-90 C. After adjusting the valves and replacing the timing gear, Ambient air at standstill up to 100 C, then turns on the fan and the temperature drops to 94 C, and again up to 100 C, and so on. When driving before replacing timing gear hand temperature fluctuated between 70 and 80 C, but now fluctuates between 84-90 C. Cooler in every place, the heat evenly. The fan also comes with no objections.

My question is what is causing the stationary temperature reaches so high? (The air temperature outside was the same)

Today I replaced the fluid in the radiator and he's still the same :/

Regards and thanks yours answer.

Sorry for my english ;)

Last edited:

mp005

Reaction score
Visit site
When the engine is completely cold (at night in the garage) when you start and after about 15 minutes, 100 C again and again every time the fan turns on and cools to 94 C

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
:welcome:to our great forum!

Did you replace coolant at any time? If so there may be air trapped in the cooling system. Trapped air will prevent the coolant from working efficiently. Eventually the trapped air may work it's way out and each time the the bike cools, coolant from the recovery tank will be used. Watch your coolant level in the recovery tank. If you have opened the coolant system it is best to make sure all air is removed :D

Last edited:

mp005

Reaction score
Visit site
So I understand that I have to open the cap that is directly on the radiator? The engine should be warm or cold?

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
So I understand that I have to open the cap that is directly on the radiator? The engine should be warm or cold?

Engine cold. You want to tilt the bike from side to side to make sure the air gets released and fill the radiator all the way till it goes to overflow hose. Replace the radiator cap, fill the overflow tank and run the bike.

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I understand that after the stop at idle engine speed the fan should not turn on?

If the coolant is hot enough, the fan should come on. If you are stopped and there is no air flow through the radiator the fan might come on. The fan comes on at a preset temperature. If you hit the kill switch and leave the key in the on position the fan will stay on if it has activated until it cools the coolant or the key is turned off. Remember if you hit the kill switch and the fan is still on it won't cool efficiently because the water pump is not circulating the coolant so turn the key off to save the battery.

iSteve

Reaction score
www.flickr.com
This is how it works if you let your bike idle for 15 minutes of course it will get hot because you have no air flow. When the coolant temperature reaches boiling point, 100C the fan comes on. When the temperature drops to 94C the fan shuts off.

mp005

Reaction score
Visit site
This is how it works if you let your bike idle for 15 minutes of course it will get hot because you have no air flow. When the coolant temperature reaches boiling point, 100C the fan comes on. When the temperature drops to 94C the fan shuts off.

But before when the motorcycle stay at idle by 15 minutes the fan not start.
outside temperature was similar.

iSteve

Reaction score
www.flickr.com
The only way that any liquid engine keeps from overheating and possible engine damage is by air blowing through the radiator. Most of the time this air is blown through the radiator when riding. The moving air passes through taking the heat with it. When you stop no air passes through so the fan has to do this work.

This happen on bikes, cars, trucks anything with a liquid engine an is normal. If you think this didn't happen before then either you just didn't notice, maybe a cool breeze was blowing or your fan was stuck. Any time your bike get to a temp over boiling point and the fan doesn't come on you should shut it down and check the fan for a problem.

mp005

Reaction score
Visit site
So, at a temperature of 25-30 fan behavior is normal yes ?

-----

Sorry for my questions but I will make sure that it should be. I thank you very much for your answers :)

iSteve

Reaction score
www.flickr.com
The air temperature has some effect on engine temp but left idling long enough with no moving air over the radiator the fan will eventually come on. The inside surfaces of a engine will have temps between 150 C and 250 C and would get much hotter if it wasn't for the liquid cooling taking the heat away.

Of course if this is happening unusually often you may need to change the thermostat.

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Also make sure the coolant in your engine is the recommended 50/50 antifreeze/water. Most antifreeze here comes 50/50. If the coolant is water it will expand at lower temperatures and reduce coolant efficiency because the water gets pushed into the overflow tank. Make sure it's 50/50!

mp005

Reaction score
Visit site
Motogiro
I am two days before fluid changed to this: Prestone Antifreeze/Coolant - Choose your region | Prestone®
This is not mixed with water, because it is already prepared

iSteve
The thermostat is good, because at 80 C, the temperature suddenly drops to 76 C and the temperature is kept for about 2 minutes. And then again goes up.
And the radiator is everywhere the same hot.

YZF73

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi, for two weeks I am the owner of the Yamaha Fazer S2 2007. After buying a motorcycle when parked reached max. temperature of 85-90 C. After adjusting the valves and replacing the timing gear, Ambient air at standstill up to 100 C, then turns on the fan and the temperature drops to 94 C, and again up to 100 C, and so on. When driving before replacing timing gear hand temperature fluctuated between 70 and 80 C, but now fluctuates between 84-90 C. Cooler in every place, the heat evenly. The fan also comes with no objections.

My question is what is causing the stationary temperature reaches so high? (The air temperature outside was the same)

Today I replaced the fluid in the radiator and he's still the same :/

Regards and thanks yours answer.

Sorry for my english ;)

The operation of your cooling system and fan having done the engine work is exactly the same as my '07.

It's unlikely, but you may be finding that the engine work you had done has restored the combustion efficiency of the engine (for instance if the valve clearances were excessively out of specification), increasing the amount of heat produced during combustion, and therefore the demand on the cooling system.

The more likely culprit is the ambient temperature, even small variations can significantly affect the operating temperature of the engine.

Hope this helps,
Yamahaboyz

iSteve

Reaction score
www.flickr.com
I know the Prestone car antifreeze will work fine but you can buy antifreeze/coolant that is specifically designed for motorcycles. Prestone even makes one Prestone Antifreeze/Coolant - Choose your region | Prestone®.

I changed mine a few months ago used Motul coolant and notice it runs 5 to 10 degrees cooler then before. My guess it's running cooler because the old stuff was... old.

mp005

Reaction score
Visit site
I'll wait another week, because every time the engine is warming up and cooling down takes some fluid from the reservoir. Maybe this will complement the fluid, and everything returns to normal

mp005

Reaction score
Visit site
Yesterday evening, the outside temperature was 15 C, unfortunately, after about 10 minutes once the temperature reached 100 C and the fan at times turning it on. While driving, the temperature is 72-74 C