Vance and Hines fined $500k in CA

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
They need to stop all the weed wackers and brake asbestos blowers that are polluting the air!

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
so if they arent making decent systems why in hell should i buy their crap over something good.

I think it's a legal issue that has to do with emissions. Any exhaust system that changes emissions is technically illegal. So if I'm Two Brothers Racing or Power Commander and I sell or modify a product that impedes proper operation of emissions control without saying for instance, "Race track only" I might be in a jam. So say I make a full race system that has no catalytic converter for the street and I don't declare it, "Race Track Only" I could be in trouble. Sometimes dotting your "i's" is important!

California passed a law that in 2013 all new bikes had to have emission and sound compliant exhaust systems.
I saw an ad from Yoshimura where they produced an exhaust that was compliant that also included the certification badge required by the new law so that LEOs could verify the system was compliant.
Technically the Air Resources Board could come down on any bike or company that modifies an OEM exhaust system.

So it makes sense to be courteous when you lane split or are in town with a modified exhaust.

State laws may vary but there is federal law and legislation that control how vehicle are made and what the minimal emission requirements are.

I used to live in a state where a LEO could just write you up for excessive noise. Didn't need a decibel meter or a sniffer to tell you anything.
Attitude goes a long way toward developing a friendly climate toward our community.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PlZEK4Ah_Cc]Harley Riders Are Fags SOUTH PARK - YouTube[/ame]

PurpleZJ

Reaction score
Visit site
Well, my reason, besides family, is where else can you go snowboarding AND surfing in the same day? Not many places like that in the world...that and OH! We can split lanes :)

Eh, I can fish, hunt, take my jeep off roading, and cruise on the bike and not need to lane split, plus if I could lane split around here I'd likely get run over haha. I do like surfing though :/

motojoe122

No ride is too far...
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
This one too...LOL!
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q_mp76ouFUg&feature=player_detailpage"]Harley Guy - YouTube[/ame]

patrickb37

Reaction score
Visit site
CA's emissions laws (CARB) are definitely draconian. But an aftermarket exhaust company should know better than to sell a replacement that removes the cat without labeling it as race/off-road use only. On cars, removing cats is illegal at the federal level (though there are plenty of people that do it anyway).

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Well, my reason, besides family, is where else can you go snowboarding AND surfing in the same day? Not many places like that in the world...that and OH! We can split lanes :)

North! Go North!!!! :thumbup: :BLAA:

35 miles east are high mt's and lakes. Another 20, desert.
50 miles west lies the ocean.... cold mf tho...
Did I mention there are rivers every direction? :D

BlurryEyed

Reaction score
Visit site
North! Go North!!!! :thumbup: :BLAA:

35 miles east are high mt's and lakes. Another 20, desert.
50 miles west lies the ocean.... cold mf tho...
Did I mention there are rivers every direction? :D

Haha! Funny you should mention that. U of O Alumn here...loved my 4 years in Eugene, but I certainly would not surf Oregon..ever haha