Valve Tap?

trailblazer87

Curve Hound
Reaction score
Visit site
Hi, new guy here, and my 06 has just hit 4000 miles and it sounds like one of the valves is lightly tapping at low RPMs. It also feels like there has been a slight loss of power over the last thousand miles but this is probably my getting used to the bike and needing a little more:

The bike is bone stock, and red if that helps. The intake has gotten a little louder too, but again, I think that is just the bike getting broken in.

I have put this mileage on since the end of May.

Any help would be appreciated,
Thanks.

W

wrightme43

Need more info.
Oil type, and last change?
Is it still under warr?
Does it go away with a light rev and release?
Tell us more about what is happening.

thanaton23

Reaction score
Visit site
It's completely normal for the FZ6, and most yamaha's in fact!

Do yourself a favour and forget about it! Mine's done 24000 miles now and it's done it since i bought it! I've also checked the valve clearances twice and they were within spec.

S

sportrider

the valve train is normal,(keep in mind I can't actually hear it, but valve noise is normal. if you think its excessive have your dealer check it out.) as far as the intake getting louder and the exhaust that's normal also( a little know fact is the red ones are restricted when new, so they match performance specs with the blue ones, which in it self is awesome, but once the red ones are broken it they are much faster then the blue!!! you will know when its broken in, by the evil growl that resonates out the exhaust and the way the blue ones keep getting smaller and smaller in your mirrors):D

trailblazer87

Curve Hound
Reaction score
Visit site
Need more info.
Oil type, and last change?
Is it still under warr?
Does it go away with a light rev and release?
Tell us more about what is happening.

Oil is Yama lube, 20-40
Warranty is good

Gets louder the warmer the engine gets. When cold its almost silent.

I went to the dealer today and the tech said an exhaust bolt is probably a little loose. The guy is a friend of mine so I know he's not jerkin me around. I'm changing the oil and doing other maintenance this weekend so I'll go through and check everything else out.

Appreciate the help, :thumbup:

W

wrightme43

Thanks for the info.
I know that alot of times things are nothing, but the times when they are something and get dismissed it can be dangerous.
I also know everytime I dont follow the proper procedure for isolating trouble it comes back and bites me in the butt. See my 79$ lesson in checking plugs before taking the bike to the dealer. LOL

It may be a loose exhaust nut. It may just be normal valve noise. Mine are noisy but not bad.
I wanted to make sure you werent using some very light oil, or old oil, or had a older bike that had lots of miles or abuse.