Valve clearance check

FZtraveler

Reaction score
Visit site
My 2006 only has 22,000 miles on it but has had a tick for a while. It runs like a striped ass ape but has been getting louder. I presume the valves are out of spec but from what I have read, this seems a little premature. I always run premium fuel so its not pre-detonation. Does anyone have any other suggestions on what might be the issue? I have plenty of mechanical experience on cars and dirt bikes but none on small displacement four cylinders. i want to check my clearance to start and have a shim kit and gasket for the valve cover already. Is there anything else I need...special tools, more gaskets, or procedures I should know about besides the obvious (changing coolant, plugs, and oil)? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

PosterFZ6

Reaction score
Visit site
My 2006 only has 22,000 miles on it but has had a tick for a while. It runs like a striped ass ape but has been getting louder. I presume the valves are out of spec but from what I have read, this seems a little premature. I always run premium fuel so its not pre-detonation. Does anyone have any other suggestions on what might be the issue? I have plenty of mechanical experience on cars and dirt bikes but none on small displacement four cylinders. i want to check my clearance to start and have a shim kit and gasket for the valve cover already. Is there anything else I need...special tools, more gaskets, or procedures I should know about besides the obvious (changing coolant, plugs, and oil)? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I have only done valve clearance check and adjustment on my Suzuki Boulevard cruiser. Mind you no shims were needed (different set up)

I would probably say to buy yourself a measuring tool for the clearance.

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/Carrera-Precision-CP9806-TF-Electronic-Fractional/dp/B003119EDE/ref=sr_1_1?s=industrial&ie=UTF8&qid=1365136922&sr=1-1]Carrera Precision CP9806-TF Titanium 0-Inch to 6-Inch Electronic Fractional & Decimal Digital Caliper - Amazon.com[/ame]

Double check with it the clearances and the thickness of the shims. I have heard stories of the manufacturer not being accurate with their shims.

Buy like a whole assortment pack of shims from Amazon. I know some people will try to sand off their old ones or exchange them at the dealer for the right ones, but I would just save the hassle and buy the whole pack of them from the net.

I do have a request though. Can you do a step by step walk through if you will do the valve adjustment on your bike. I still have few thousands miles before I have to check mine, but I am not looking forward to it. But a detailed picture walk-through would be immensely appreciated:thumbup:

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
First post? Welcome.

Is it a rattling sound coming from the right side of the bike during idle?
Probably a cam chain issue. Use the search function by typing in key words such as Cam Chain. You can ignore it for a while, but your engine will eventually sieze as your crankshaft position sensor gets grinded away.

A lot of us had our valves checked way past the recommended 26k and most were within specs. I had mine done around 75k for the first time, and most were pretty close but just a few were off.

Last edited:

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site

A valve check wouldn't hurt but the valves tend to tighten up over time as the valves sit deeper (probably not the right description) on the valve seats and if anything get quieter (unless a guide is worn, not likely). I seriously doubt you'll get beyond checking them.

Here's a post with some good information re the procedure: http://www.600riders.com/forum/how-tos/47593-valve-clearance-check.html

+1 on checking the CCT tensioner.

There's numerous threads on it. It tends to lose tension over time alloing the cam chain to rattle in the case.. A new tensioner is under $100 and is good insurance if there's any doubt...

Please post your results..