Valve adjustment before sale?

beatle

Reaction score
Visit site
Come spring, I might be selling my FZ6. It's a 2008 w/24k on the clock. It has been down twice, though it looks very good. I know it's time for valve service, and I know it's beyond my skill set to do it. I have a shop I trust, and they said they'd do it in the off season for ~$350. They also pick up and drop off the bike from my house. Pretty nice. The bike needs nothing else. Tires and chain are great, and all other maintenance is current. The bike runs perfectly.

As I'm not sure if I'll be keeping the bike, I don't know if I'll get my money back from the valve service if I go to sell it in the spring. I'm sure it will help draw buyers in, however.

Do it? Don't do it?

Jb40k

Reaction score
www.twitter.com
If you're selling private, I doubt most buyers would even think to ask... Unless they're well up and barter you down by $350. I personally wouldn't put any more money into it if you're looking to trade in. Dealers may ask, but will know well enough a few hundred is negotiable on a PX.

Zealot

The Village Idiot
Reaction score
Visit site
I feel bad for all the sellers I've been finding as of late, because I'm in the know and regularly ask that. To most people, the thought of a valve adjustment seems super intensive, scary, and costly. I've got the feeler gauges and a bit of mechanical aptitude, and will just do it myself, but I got some local shop prices and have been using it to talk people down!

Don't mention it if they don't ask!

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
It has been down twice, though it looks very good. I know it's time for valve service,

If it been done twice ALREADY, its NOT due for another check until 26,600 miles since the last time... Its not needed.. :thumbup:

BTW, 99% of dealers and shoppers won't know about it(or care about it) if it runs good... I've NEVER seen a dealer test ride a bike getting traded as their going to nickle and dime you anyway...

Last edited:

Chapin

Reaction score
Visit site
I bought my 2008 fz6 from a dealership this spring. It had 39000km on it and the valve check was due at 42000km. Bought it anyways. Then a couple months later had to shell out nearly $700.00 to have the check done. Wish I had known it was going to be so expensive.
So as a buyer id say have it done. As a seller I would say hell no.
It's tricky...