Using a Ranger to Haul FZ6

04FZSick

Reaction score
Visit site
Hello everyone,

I am getting ready to purchase my second FZ6 this weekend and am wondering if my ranger will be able to hold the motorcycle. My truck is a 98 ranger 4x4 flareside. The bed length is about 6ft. Has anyone else had luck with this setup?

Thanks!
Nick

lawlberg

Booth Babe
Reaction score
Visit site
Hello everyone,

I am getting ready to purchase my second FZ6 this weekend and am wondering if my ranger will be able to hold the motorcycle. My truck is a 98 ranger 4x4 flareside. The bed length is about 6ft. Has anyone else had luck with this setup?

Thanks!
Nick

First - go on youtube and watch 'motorcycle loading fails' - just so you know what not to do.
The 4x4 (being a higher bed) is going to make it a bit harder to load but you shouldn't have too much trouble, rent a ramp from Home Depot if you don't have a good one, it'll be 10 bucks for the day and 100x better than using a 2x8 or something else that wasn't designed for loading a bike. Try to use the local hill/terrain to your advantage and it'll make it easier. You'll probably need to leave the tailgate down, but should be fine, just rachet the handlebars down about half way and it should work fine!

MattR302

Awesomeness, Inc.
Reaction score
Visit site
Is this a serious question? I haul my FZ6 in a Dodge Grand Caravan, so I'm guessing in a real truck you'd be ok...

6956262734_9909ff3181_c.jpg

bdevries

Reaction score
Visit site
Hello everyone,

Thanks!
Nick

Try testing with the bike you already have..if one fazer fits then I'm sure another one would be the same;)

04FZSick

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks for the quick replies everyone. Luckily I'll have a friend coming with me with a bike ramp that can help me get it up in the truck. When I said im getting my second fz6 I meant I sold mine last year so now I currently do not have one.

Thanks!
Nick

The_Paragon

Thats right, Paragon!
Reaction score
Visit site
My Rusty Trusty Danger Ranger has hauled almost every motorcycle ive ever hauled!

I always use a Canyon Dancer strap across the bars, and a couple QUALITY ratchet straps to the bed pockets, and one strap across the seat for good luck.

Heed the quality warning... I was using some brand new dollar store straps to haul home a junker once.. (because i forgot the good traps at home..) and one broke.. bike stayed in the box, but it could have made its way out which would have been way way worse!!

04FZSick

Reaction score
Visit site
Here's the ranger it is going in, doesn't help that I have taller tires than normal lol

542382_10152496998645430_1002772708_n.jpg

FIZZER6

The Angry Blue Mantis
Reaction score
Visit site
A 1999 Ranger is the exact vehicle that I used to transport my FZ6 from the dealer on the day we picked it up! We secured it with 4 ratchet straps with towels to keep the straps from messing up the bars or rear frame rails.

They helped us load it at the dealer using ramps but when I got it home all I had to do was back it into the ditch to get the rear end lower, use a 2x12" board as a ramp and with 1 guy on each side back it out of the bed, piece of cake. If you have snow on the ground using a ditch won't work. :D

The_Paragon

Thats right, Paragon!
Reaction score
Visit site
:rockon: hahahaha awesome

Well, its true! She's a 1995 with 240,000 quite reliable miles on her, and shes tackled about 3 deer. Though she's been going downhill lately, I think I have a badly worn valve guide.
Naturally, being in WI, shes quite rusty, but still trusty!

justaguy

Reaction score
Visit site
FZ6 weights around 400 pounds

Payload of a ford Ranger 1400 pounds

I think it might handle it but I am not sure Blah

when I had my Ranger we got a TRX250 quad and a DR650 in the bed and had not one problem and that's a lot more weight than a small FZ6

The_Paragon

Thats right, Paragon!
Reaction score
Visit site
On second thought... It may be just a smidge too heavy for a Ranger. You might want to cancel the sale and go buy an FZ-09.. Theyre lighter

:rockon:

04FZSick

Reaction score
Visit site
Lol well theres no snow anymore around here that photo was taken quite some time ago. I was more curious on there being enough room in the bed than weight being an issue. I also didnt know if it would be bad to ride home with the tailgate down. Its like a 4hr drive lol

justaguy

Reaction score
Visit site
Lol well theres no snow anymore around here that photo was taken quite some time ago. I was more curious on there being enough room in the bed than weight being an issue. I also didnt know if it would be bad to ride home with the tailgate down. Its like a 4hr drive lol

Here is what you do

1. Buy bike
2. load bike in bed of truck
3. tie bike down
4. Drive your happy butt home (30 minute drive or 4 hour drive the vehicles don't know the difference) also (tail gate up or tail gate down the vehicles don't know the difference at least you have a tail gate)

Its that easy

**drops mic and walks of stage**

04FZSick

Reaction score
Visit site
Im confident on my departure this weekend to get the bike now. Pictures will be posted once I get it maybe on the truck :) Its a stock 05 fz6 with 7k mi.

FIZZER6

The Angry Blue Mantis
Reaction score
Visit site

If the bike is cross tied front and back and the front tire is touching the front of the bed so it can't roll forward there no reason you can't leave the tail gate down, it's not like it's going to roll out the back. Ford rangers dont' have enough torque! Blah

justaguy

Reaction score
Visit site
If the bike is cross tied front and back and the front tire is touching the front of the bed so it can't roll forward there no reason you can't leave the tail gate down, it's not like it's going to roll out the back. Ford rangers dont' have enough torque! Blah

Drop a 302 punched out to a 347 stroker and they do :cheer:

dpaul007

Reaction score
Visit site
When I bought mine, I had to have the tailgate down, but with 4 straps (2 on the front and 2 on the back) going to the 4 corners of the truck box, it was rock solid for it's 3 hour ride home.