Used FZ6. Is there any year I should avoid?

ENSU3

Reaction score
Visit site
Depending on what modifications you may want to make, you may be restricted by the year? Just something to keep in mind.

gomd3

Reaction score
Visit site
pre 06 make sure the TPS sensor is replaced, general recall on it... that's about it, 06 and lower have bigger, sexier front fairings also, aside from that they look identical oh and black frames on the 06 and up. silver on 05 and 04 which looks better IMHO

08fz6

Make no excuses!
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
hmm now that was a totally one sided opinion... I looked at the fact that most 05's were going for around $5000 and i could pick up an 08 for $6200 kind of a no brainer there.... but its what you like as far as anyone model better i believe the only problem there was was that tps recall.

GConn

Squid hater
Reaction score
Visit site
I own 2006 model. Here are the drawbacks of the 2006 agaist other years' models IMO:

1) Front brakes went from twin piston to single piston. Then the 2007+ models returned to twin pistons again. Not that bad, but why did yamaha degrade the brakes??
2) The frame went black, but the forks for some stupid reason remained silver:confused: Go figure....
3) I like the front fairings more but they are a PITA to put back in when removed for maintenance

Otherwise the changes/differences are small between the models.

GConn

Squid hater
Reaction score
Visit site
That is the best thing about this new fairing. A complete 180 from the headache i used to get working on my 06'

Yeah...I scratched the hell out of my left fairing the first time I tried to put it back. By the time I realised it was scratching my outer fairing it was too late :mad: [/RANT]

GConn

Squid hater
Reaction score
Visit site
it is funny now, wasn't the first time I did it. I am an accountant not a mechanic => I neglect obvious things when playing mechanic :D

armystrong

feeling Triumphant
Reaction score
www.fz6-forum.com
Try to find a used one with as many MODs that you want as possible. You'll end up saving money in the long run. For example...my 04 came with an alarm, scorpion exhaust, and a few othe goodies. I got it all for a steal along with a clean bike.