Upgrade/Downgrade/Sidegrade??

Sith Lord

Reaction score
Visit site
Do we upgrade to the FZ6?
Do we upgrade from the FZ6?
Do we just buy something different?
Do we not do anything?

I thought it might be time to "upgrade", so I went test riding a few bikes. I thought of a sportsbike and rode the Honda CRB1000RR and then the Suzuki GSXR1000. On both occasions, I went for a ride and jumped back on my FZ6S and thought of how light, manouverable, easy to ride, quick enough for me, better weather protection, it was.

So do we upgrade, or would any other bike be a downgrade as our brilliant bike is pretty much the best for all occasions bike there is?

(I still have thoughts in the back of my mind for a Honda VFR800, but not even sure about that now??)

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Do we upgrade to the FZ6?
Do we upgrade from the FZ6?
Do we just buy something different?
Do we not do anything?

I thought it might be time to "upgrade", so I went test riding a few bikes. I thought of a sportsbike and rode the Honda CRB1000RR and then the Suzuki GSXR1000. On both occasions, I went for a ride and jumped back on my FZ6S and thought of how light, manouverable, easy to ride, quick enough for me, better weather protection, it was.

So do we upgrade, or would any other bike be a downgrade as our brilliant bike is pretty much the best for all occasions bike there is?

(I still have thoughts in the back of my mind for a Honda VFR800, but not even sure about that now??)

A VFR is no quicker, any more nimble, or that much better than an FZ6...it just has big bike cred!

I reckon the FZ6 is perfect for just about most things, if you can cope with the "it's only a 600 naked tag" that comes with it....

For an everyday bike...the FZ6 is pretty hard to beat....

I know, cause i have been ding the test ride thing recently, and everytime i jump back on my FZ6, i feel the same as you...

:thumbup:

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I suppose changing to something with fully adjustable suspension would be an upgrade, but FZ6 can be modded to have such a setup.
I really think it's more about just having something different. I too test-rode several other bikes and it made me realize that I wouldn't be gaining anything. FZ6 is pretty damn perfect!

The Dude

abides
Reaction score
Visit site
Those new Triumph 800's have got my attention. But I'm certainly not looking to pick one up anytime soon. I'll keep an eye out for a lightly used model in a couple years.

I suffer from buyer's remorse quite often. Not that I made a bad purchase, but just that there's something newer and better out now. I have to say, the FZ6 has been an exception to that rule. Nearly 1 year and 10,000 miles later, it seems like one of the best purchases I've ever made. I don't even have to test ride new bikes. Since getting the FZ6, I can read Cycle World, and while tempted, I don't feel any bike envy.

I think I'll have to ride it til the wheels fall off. It's just too hard to justify spending the kind of money new bikes cost when the FZ6 performs so well. Tough luck for Yamaha. I guess they learned their lesson when they discontinued it. From now on, all their bikes must be more one-dimensional in order to drive up repeat business.

foxbass

I prefer being on top
Reaction score
Visit site
I guess the FZ6 is the kinda bike that gets under your skin. Mine just feels better every time I ride it! WTH do we do when we've used 'em all up?
Theres not much out there that compares in size and usability. Triumph 800 and BMW F800's accepted.

Bates121

B l a c k L e a d e r
Reaction score
Visit site
I know, cause i have been ding the test ride thing recently, and everytime i jump back on my FZ6, i feel the same as you...

:thumbup:

I just did the test ride thing 2 months ago as well tried the sV650 triumph speed triple and cbr1000. Same thing everytime I jumped back on the fz as well. The only bike that made rethink was the speed triple but it was not in the budget. but one day:sinister:

kharrel

Reaction score
Visit site
Well if only one bike allowed by the wife, I would Stay Grade and keep riding the FZ6. It meets most all requirements I have at this time. Now if I could have more than one bike I'd have an FJR and a BMW F800. F800 for daily riding and camping. The FJR for serious road touring duty.

Kelly

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
What he said! Not only better, but waaaaay faster too! :thumbup:

Yep, this is true. the FZ1 is an awesome litre bike, but some of us dont need all that HP to get our kicks! the FZ1 also munches tyres way quicker, and cost's more to register, and insure.

The FZ6 is the "Smart man's" sportsbike...

Still doesnt mean i aint gonna get a big kick ar$e litre bike soon....

:D

Dunno

Reaction score
Visit site
My brother just bought the new speed triple. So far ive resisted his offer to take it for a spin. Probably a smart choice cos there is no way im gonna buy one so its best left to the imagination.
The FZ6 does what I ask of it without any fuss or drama. Its simply a great all rounder. If I wanted to spend up & buy a similar all round bike with a bit more punch I would have a K1300R in the shed tomorrow :rockon:

Disco

A Member
Reaction score
Visit site
We don't upgrade, downgrade or sidegrade to FZ6's.

We simply buy them :thumbup:

Dunno, take Speedy for a spin, you will love it :thumbup: I rode a 2008 model at a demo day 2.5 years ago & still remember it. Don't think I could part with the FZ6 for one, but maybe an FZ1 with a cross plane crank motor in it...... ARE YOU LISTENING YAMAHA!

Sith Lord

Reaction score
Visit site
Buy a second bike.....

That's my plan :D

I would so love for that to be my plan, then I wouldn't have started the thread. I reckon 4-5 bikes would be ideal. Naked for summer, Tourer for long hauls, Sports Tourer for colder winter days, Unregistered tracky for Sundays, Sports bike for Saturday afternoons...........

Damn! Cash is the problem there. Unfortunately only one bike at a time will reside in my garage.

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I would so love for that to be my plan, then I wouldn't have started the thread. I reckon 4-5 bikes would be ideal. Naked for summer, Tourer for long hauls, Sports Tourer for colder winter days, Unregistered tracky for Sundays, Sports bike for Saturday afternoons...........

Damn! Cash is the problem there. Unfortunately only one bike at a time will reside in my garage.

For the 1 bike man, the FZ6 makes a great one bike choice...it does most things pretty bloody well...without getting you in too much trouble, not that it's not capable of getting you in trouble...

10-15 years ago, the HP output of an FZ6 would ofg been up there with all the latEst litre bikes anyway....oh hang on, it still is in some cases...XJR1300, Bandit, and so on and so forth....

The best bit is though, the FZ6 doesnt weigh a tonne!

:rockon:

agf

Go Naked- Its liberating
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
For the 1 bike man, the FZ6 makes a great one bike choice...it does most things pretty bloody well...without getting you in too much trouble, not that it's not capable of getting you in trouble...

The best bit is though, the FZ6 doesnt weigh a tonne!

:rockon:

and I am so loving mine. from what I have read before and since I moved on from my VTR, the FZ6 is the natural progression. And I have this forum to thank for tipping me over the edge and making the decision to spend my pennies. I definitly don't regret it.
(and this site has some fantastic people on it too)
thanks all